How do I know when to replace my brake calipers?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

I am about to change my front brakes. My rotors are warped, my pads are done. So new rotors and pads 100%.

My question is when do I know when my calipers need to be changed? What should I look for?

I'd go for new calipers if my brakes were dragging on one side indicating the caliper is hanging up.

For brake pads and rotors I'd think of nothing else than these which are the best braking pads available for Jeeps period. Rotors are Centric Premiuum, this is a solid way to go. https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front-Pads-477s-Front-Rotors-67045s-F-BMBP-47700067045.htm.

If you want those plus new rotors are go with https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ers-Rotors-99-06-TJ-477-67045-58021-58022.htm

Reactions: TWiG01 and TJim
My question is when do I know when my calipers need to be changed?

simple answer: when they fail to any degree

Having said that, calipers are not expensive but are a critical safety component so if I'm in doubt as to the functionality of the calipers I'm going to replace them.

Reactions: TWiG01 and rasband
I'd go for new calipers if my brakes were dragging on one side indicating the caliper is hanging up.

For brake pads and rotors I'd think of nothing else than these which are the best braking pads available for Jeeps period. Rotors are Centric Premiuum, this is a solid way to go. https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front-Pads-477s-Front-Rotors-67045s-F-BMBP-47700067045.htm.

If you want those plus new rotors are go with https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ers-Rotors-99-06-TJ-477-67045-58021-58022.htm
Unfortunately, I can't buy those products due to location.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Sad
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
simple answer: when they fail to any degree

Having said that, calipers are not expensive but are a critical safety component so if I'm in doubt as to the functionality of the calipers I'm going to replace them.
Thanks, but I mean when I know when they fail? (I know this is a beginners question)

I bet the answer is not that they just stop working so the TJ has no brakes

Thanks, but I mean when I know when they fail? (I know this is a beginners question)

I bet the answer is not that they just stop working so the TJ has no brakes
  • Jerry mentioned brake dragging
  • leaks
  • uneven pad wear

Reactions: TWiG01
Why is that you can buy an American vehicle but not American parts ?
From BMB website;

International Shipping: We only ship select products to Canada, Australia and Great Britain at this time, the items can be found on the Click Here-—> International Store <—-Click Here webpage. If you have a USA shipping address, you can buy anything we sell. Just fill out the shipping address, check the box that the billing address is the same as the shipping address and check out with PayPal.

From BMB website;

International Shipping: We only ship select products to Canada, Australia and Great Britain at this time, the items can be found on the Click Here-—> International Store <—-Click Here webpage. If you have a USA shipping address, you can buy anything we sell. Just fill out the shipping address, check the box that the billing address is the same as the shipping address and check out with PayPal.
What happens if a private person ships and not a company ? Is there still an issue or is it illegal and I would be considered an importer ?

if your calipers are original equipment id lean more towards just maintaining them than replacing, that is if your comfortable rebuilding them.

there really isnt much to them and they can be rebuilt a bit cheaper than buying new ones. locally for me its about $50 per caliper thats ready to go out of the box but if I source the individual parts required and take about a hour I can rebuild each one for about $20 a caliper.

basically just a slide pin, slide pin boot, piston dust boot, piston & a piston o-ring. pistons generally aren't required but I replaced 2 of mine due to some unusual patterns of wear observed on them on the face of it that contacts the brake pad.
essentially just need a source of compressed air (regulator set low) to CAREFULLY blow the piston out, a small screw driver, brake parts cleaner and some lint free towels.

if your calipers are original equipment id lean more towards just maintaining them than replacing, that is if your comfortable rebuilding them.

there really isnt much to them and they can be rebuilt a bit cheaper than buying new ones. locally for me its about $50 per caliper thats ready to go out of the box but if I source the individual parts required and take about a hour I can rebuild each one for about $20 a caliper.

basically just a slide pin, slide pin boot, piston dust boot, piston & a piston o-ring. pistons generally aren't required but I replaced 2 of mine due to some unusual patterns of wear observed on them on the face of it that contacts the brake pad.
essentially just need a source of compressed air (regulator set low) to CAREFULLY blow the piston out, a small screw driver, brake parts cleaner and some lint free towels.
i done that a lot.....

I honestly wouldn't bother with rebuilding the piston, piston seals or dust boot unless you develop a leak or a sticky piston.

think the main reason people replace the calipers during any brake job is because they dont want to or are unaware they can just pull the sticking slide pins, clean, lube and reinstall them or at the worst, just replace the slide pins and slide pin boots alone.

I grease my slide pins once but sometimes twice a year, just one of them jobs you never think of but can hinder you if you dont in the long run.

Reactions: rubicube
What happens if a private person ships and not a company ? Is there still an issue or is it illegal and I would be considered an importer ?

Technically, you would be the exporter, but who would know?

Label it from Vandelay Industries, a famous importer/exporter, and you should be good.
Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.

Vandelay Industries.JPG

Last edited:
No. My problem is that many products (such as Black magic brakes) don't ship overseas. If someone buys it in the States and send it abroad as a "friend" there is no problem with that. He would just have to repackage it.

No. My problem is that many products (such as Black magic brakes) don't ship overseas. If someone buys it in the States and send it abroad as a "friend" there is no problem with that. He would just have to repackage it.
Let me know if you need a friend PM me

Reactions: DuncLJ