How do I patch hole in fender from snorkel?

theoldguy

I'm going to be taking off the Volant cold air intake snorkle off my 2006 wrangler TJ softtop. I know, why would I want to do that? I just bought the jeep 1 month ago and it came with the intake system. But, the person that installed it did such a bad job that you can't take the top part of the half door off/on without taking out the screws on the snorkle and pushing it out of the way each time. I understand that I can run it with just the air box inside the engine compartment but how do I patch the hole it leaves on the side in front of passenger side door? Without welding, grinding and repainting. Its a 3” hole.

20221025_142747.jpg

Snorkels not only look stupid but don't really do anything to be honest. Good choice on getting rid of that monstrosity.

As far as patching the fender goes, you could JB Weld some sheet metal on the backside of it.

I'd cut a piece of ABS and attach with 3M double sided tape. Cheap, easy to cut, easy to install, easy to remove if needed for some reason. Maybe paint it if you want it to blend in better.

Wow Chris, he never said he was taking it off because he didn't like the looks of it. :oops:

Ostensibly the internet is full of opinions.

The crappy snorkel install by the previous owner may have facilitated his decision to remove it, but nonetheless, I'll take a win where I can get one.

Any TJ being freed of an ugly snorkel is okay by me (y)

how do I patch the hole it leaves on the side in front of passenger side door? Without welding, grinding and repainting.

If you don't want to do it correctly (welding and painting), then I'd suggest just using a plug like @JKP linked above. Make sure the edges are painted and not bare metal. If you try to use anything like fiberglass or body fillers, you will just be inviting rust, which will be unstoppable in short order.

To do it right you do real bodywork. Weld in new metal, use the minimal amount of filler, then refinish the fender. For anything other than a trail beater other solutions are ghetto.

Reactions: txbemis69
To do it right you do real bodywork. Weld in new metal, use the minimal amount of filler, then refinish the fender. For anything other than a trail beater other solutions are ghetto.

Do you have to remove the fender and finish both sides to do it right?

Do you have to remove the fender and finish both sides to do it right?

That would probably be the easiest way. I guess you could do it in place if you had enough access to the back side. But then you'd be spending extra time and material protecting everything else from your work. (welding/grinding/painting)