How do I remove the center console lock?

somis81

Can someone tell me how to remove my console lock.
I bought a used 1998 TJ console but didn't get a key for it.
The lock is unlocked and works, it has a small allen key screw at the bottom and is metal.
I am looking to get a new lock and key, but its very hard to find one.
See 2 photos

Lock1.jpg

Lock2.jpg

I am struggling with the same issue as the OP in this old thread, I need to fit a new cylinder into the console lock. This is not the same issue as the thread on how to replace a broken lock, which uses the same cylinder. My TJ came with the cylinder missing.

Can somebody tell me if the console is operated by the same key as the ignition. You can buy a replacement cylinder, bjt these come without tumblers or keys and say they need to be keyed by a locksmith. To be honest I do not think I fully understand the point in buying a cylinder that can't be used as sold, is it because it has to be made to work with the TJ's ignition key?

Are there any alternatives that anyone has seen used that can be fitted that simply have a different key?

Last edited:
The console lock is indeed keyed to match the ignition.
I would think that you could find a lock that would work that would not necessarily need to be keyed the same as the ignition. It's your TJ, make it what works for you.

Actually the console lock only uses one tumbler so if you need to re key it wouldn't be too difficult
The rear console half I bought from a forum member worked with my key so I didn't have to change anything

You can also swap out the entire console lid (3 screws?) so you don't have to remove and replace the lock? This would only work if you have an existing console of course (not sure if you do).