How do I strap my TJ to a trailer?

diggerwolf

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm going to haul my TJ on a trailer for the first time. I have a 16' dual axle trailer but I don't know how I'm going to securely strap the TJ or what I need to buy. Recommendations? Help!
20220726_134638.jpg

20220726_134624.jpg

We hooked a chain around the rear pumpkin. Then used a rachet strap around the front pumpkin to pull it forward and tight. Since we were driving 12 hours, we screwed plastic wheel chocks to the trailer infront and behind the wheels. You can skip that step for shorter trips in town or on flat straight roads.

The Denali pickup we used had 550+ hp and over 900 ft-lbs of torque. With towing mode for engine breaking. We blew through the CO rockies at 70-80 mph and didn't notice the Jeep back there.

20220318_115522.jpg

Last edited:
I use straps through the factory moab wheels. 4 seems totally overkill but 2 seems light. I've considered going around the axle in the front then 2 wheel straps in the back. The only reason I don't go around the axle in the back is because there's not a good way that I've seen because of the way the brake lines are ran.

IMG_1656.jpg

We hooked a chain around the rear pumpkin. Then used a rachet strap around the front pumpkin to pull it forward and tight. Since we were driving 12 hours, we screwed plastic wheel chocks to the trailer infront and behind the wheels. You can skip that step for shorter trips in town or on flat straight roads.

The Denali pickup we used had 550+ hp and over 900 ft-lbs of torque. With towing mode for engine breaking. We blew through the CO rockies at 70-80 mph and didn't notice the Jeep back there.

View attachment 346019

Personally wouldn't recommend this method, you essentially have a single chain on each end, if one breaks you're screwed.

That was not sarcasm...deadly serious. Who put it in your head that cross strapping was bad?

View attachment 346046

years of truck driving/towing experience + physics + many prior threads on this forum + the internet.

Question, you lose one of those two straps, what now keeps the vehicle from moving forward? not the other strap... if anything the other strap will just pull the vehicle sideways as the vehicle moves forward, not a good idea.

Hell even bleeping jeep knows better...

0AC6329C-7934-4D24-9DE3-4BE12C50F46C.jpeg

1A24C48C-07EF-4A4D-95D9-1A8D40A8BD1F.jpeg
I use Vulcan gear but it works well. I strap to the axles and my ratchets have chains so I can put them through the stake holes. 7k miles worth of towing with this setup. Previously I used the straps that went through the wheel spokes.