How do I strap my TJ to a trailer?

years of truck driving/towing experience + physics + many prior threads on this forum + the internet.

Question, you lose one of those two straps, what now keeps the vehicle from moving forward? not the other strap... if anything the other strap will just pull the vehicle sideways as the vehicle moves forward, not a good idea.

Hell even bleeping jeep knows better...

Add a 5th strap pulling straight back acting as a brake.

years of truck driving/towing experience + physics + many prior threads on this forum + the internet.

Question, you lose one of those two straps, what now keeps the vehicle from moving forward? not the other strap... if anything the other strap will just pull the vehicle sideways as the vehicle moves forward, not a good idea.

Hell even bleeping jeep knows better...

Years of transporting race vehicles (NHRA) across the United States. Cross straps on both ends. I can predict what will happen when a trailer gets out of shape (seen it before) with straps straight out...the vehicle will move sideways whether the straps break or not. Cross strapped this will not happen (seen it before). If you have any strap break for any reason you must begin again. It all looks good until you actually test it.

Years of transporting race vehicles (NHRA) across the United States. Cross straps on both ends. I can predict what will happen when a trailer gets out of shape (seen it before) with straps straight out...the vehicle will move sideways whether the straps break or not. Cross strapped this will not happen (seen it before). If you have any strap break for any reason you must begin again. It all looks good until you actually test it.

Still incorrect, and I've seen many instances of both getting into accidents etc. as a former tow truck driver... the 4 strait forward/back straps always out performed crossed straps. You'd have to have your trailer t-boned at speed to get it to move with straight straps, and that kind of impact, well the straps usually don't survive anyway.

I won't keep trying to educate someone who is not going to listen though so best of luck to you...

to the OP though, don't cross your straps please.

Still incorrect, and I've seen many instances of both getting into accidents etc. as a former tow truck driver... the 4 strait forward/back straps always out performed crossed straps. You'd have to have your trailer t-boned at speed to get it to move with straight straps, and that kind of impact, well the straps usually don't survive anyway.

I won't keep trying to educate someone who is not going to listen though so best of luck to you...

to the OP though, don't cross your straps please.

You won't educate me on this subject. Saw it tested in real time when a friend's race rig left the Interstate into a sloped median at 80mph. Truck and trailer remained upright, but suffered enough damage that they were not returned to duty. The race car inside the enclosed trailer did not move a 1/2" in any direction...because of the cross strapping.

God forbid the love of my life ever moved around in a trailer...

El Camino in race trim.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 346014

View attachment 346015
I use Vulcan gear but it works well. I strap to the axles and my ratchets have chains so I can put them through the stake holes. 7k miles worth of towing with this setup. Previously I used the straps that went through the wheel spokes.

Thanks. This looks like a set up that will work with my trailer.

Personally wouldn't recommend this method, you essentially have a single chain on each end, if one breaks you're screwed.

I don't have the photo of the front, but there are two ratchet straps up there. I'll see if I can find it.

You will have more force in braking than accelerating was how I was taught. Though I aint yet hauled something as tiny as a Jeep.

Someone rear ending you creates that reverse acceleration that stresses the front straps

Reactions: RINC
You won't educate me on this subject. Saw it tested in real time when a friend's race rig left the Interstate into a sloped median at 80mph. Truck and trailer remained upright, but suffered enough damage that they were not returned to duty. The race car inside the enclosed trailer did not move a 1/2" in any direction...because of the cross strapping.

God forbid the love of my life ever moved around in a trailer...

View attachment 346058

No, it didn't move because the straps didn't break... point of not crossing is for when you lose a strap. Your cause and effect are confused.

No, it didn't move because the straps didn't break... point of not crossing is for when you lose a strap. Your cause and effect are confused.

You are mistaken if you think you are in any way better off in any instance with a broken strap with any method...lose one and the entire system is compromised. I have never seen a healthy strap break...only those that been neglected/abused by fraying, puncture or cuts. While on the subject I would recommend only using straps that have a positive locking clasp on the hook. The straps I see most often being used by the general public are open hook design which is sold by most box stores. You are setting yourself up for failure with a open hook of any kind. Axel straps (yes, you should be using them) should have anti-chaffing sleeves installed. Turn that trailer on it's side to test how your inline strapping theory works...I already know the answer and anyone who wants to think about it just a bit can clearly understand the strength of a triangle. ;)

straps.jpg

Last edited:
I have to ask an honest question. How do you get that camper off when you get to where your going???

I don't know about the original poster but once I mounted my camper onto the gooseneck I didn't take it back off. I built the trailer to haul the Jeep & camper. My reason was I wanted a larger camper but had a short bed truck.

IMGP3382 (1).jpg

IMGP3383.jpg

There's always a problem gleaning knowledge from the internet and YouTube videos...putting your trust in someone you don't know and anything they tell you.

That fellow made three points up front that make little sense...strap migration (there is no migration if properly attached), in the case of a broken strap the other side is pulling the vehicle (I laughed out loud with that statement...straps do not pull), straps crossed try to straighten out when force is applied (duh...don't they all? Crossed or inline the vehicle is not going to move). At the end of the video he so much as admitted if you were concerned about the vehicle moving sideways then he would recommend cross strapping as secondary backup. I would give some serious thought before setting this in concrete.

Like I said before...it's all good in theory until it is put to the test.

There's always a problem gleaning knowledge from the internet and YouTube videos...putting your trust in someone you don't know and anything they tell you.

That fellow made three points up front that make little sense...strap migration (there is no migration if properly attached), in the case of a broken strap the other side is pulling the vehicle (I laughed out loud with that statement...straps do not pull), straps crossed try to straighten out when force is applied (duh...don't they all? Crossed or inline the vehicle is not going to move). At the end of the video he so much as admitted if you were concerned about the vehicle moving sideways then he would recommend cross strapping as secondary backup. I would give some serious thought before setting this in concrete.

Like I said before...it's all good in theory until it is put to the test.

Why would I listen to your advice over this video? I don’t know you either. At least he sells quality straps.