How do I strap my TJ to a trailer?

😁

AB30127A-956F-44B3-9BD3-969BF86250DF.jpeg

I don't know about the original poster but once I mounted my camper onto the gooseneck I didn't take it back off. I built the trailer to haul the Jeep & camper. My reason was I wanted a larger camper but had a short bed truck.

View attachment 346102

View attachment 346103

And your camper has one hell of a porch when you get where you are going.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Wildman
Well, at the very least the OP gets another viewpoint...right? ;)

It's always the same two viewpoints and usually starts with someone asking a question about the best method. Then two dudes, typically who haul for a living at one time or another. Usually a long haul trucker trucker and a tow truck driver. Posting pictures of what they hauled at some point or another in attempt to validate what they are saying is true.

Everyone just ends up with the same viewpoint they started with. I have yet to see one of these threads where one side goes, "you know, you're right and I was wrong"

giphy (3).gif

It's always the same two viewpoints and usually starts with someone asking a question about the best method. Then two dudes, typically who haul for a living at one time or another. Usually a long haul trucker trucker and a tow truck driver. Posting pictures of what they hauled at some point or another in attempt to validate what they are saying is true.

Everyone just ends up with the same viewpoint they started with. I have yet to see one of these threads where one side goes, "you know, you're right and I was wrong"

View attachment 346136

But wait, I was both (Long haul, short haul, LTL, and tow trucks hah)? Now I'm really confused.

I'm done arguing, just wanted the OP to know the truth. Beyond that convincing someone of this truth is like convincing some people to believe something their particular political party told them isn't true lol. It's too bad actual videos listed show a model of exactly how one is better, but thats apparently not proof enough :D

View attachment 346136

I was wrong. Though my Dad always told me just to keep the trailer underneath the load.

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1

View attachment 346136

I'm not a post whore and never offer anything that I have no personal experience with, but I do understand what you are saying. In my case transporting vehicles on/in trailers was recreational only...never hauled for profit.

It's been my experience and your mileage may differ, but many of the so called "professional" drivers are some of the worst safety offenders I can recall. Flatbed operators driving like maniacs thinking they are on par with law enforcement vehicles. Most locales allocate who/what tow company gets called anyway so why the rush? Flashy lights negates any sane driving practices? Then when they recover they most time leave with only two chains securing the load while driving the same insane speeds back to their impound lot. Guess its the mindset that it's only a couple of miles away...that's the mindset of failure and poor judgement.

I'm not a post whore and never offer anything that I have no personal experience with, but I do understand what you are saying. In my case transporting vehicles on/in trailers was recreational only...never hauled for profit.

It's been my experience and your mileage may differ, but many of the so called "professional" drivers are some of the worst safety offenders I can recall. Flatbed operators driving like maniacs thinking they are on par with law enforcement vehicles. Most locales allocate who/what tow company gets called anyway so why the rush? Flashy lights negates any sane driving practices? Then when they recover they most time leave with only two chains securing the load while driving the same insane speeds back to their impound lot. Guess its the mindset that it's only a couple of miles away...that's the mindset of failure and poor judgement.

Automatic or manual?

Once your jeep is secured to your trailer, drive a mile or two, stop somewhere safe and check your straps. Every time you stop somewhere after that (food bathroom stretch your legs etc), check your straps.

Doesn't matter how you secure whatever you're carrying, someone somewhere would've done it differently.

Once your jeep is secured to your trailer, drive a mile or two, stop somewhere safe and check your straps. Every time you stop somewhere after that (food bathroom stretch your legs etc), check your straps.

Doesn't matter how you secure whatever you're carrying, someone somewhere would've done it differently.

And never allow someone to "help" you secure the load. Politely decline the offer and do it yourself. Lost count of the times "buddies" have thrown a axle strap over a brake line lol...

And your camper has one hell of a porch when you get where you are going.

Yep I had a 17' porch out my door.

IMG_0722.JPG

https://app.photobucket.com/u/wildman4x4nut/a/46ed3164-632c-44db-89d4-58df1e74ca87/p/524d8a28-9bfd-4a0d-9969-f26dc10ccafc]
IMGP2290.jpg
[/URL]

https://app.photobucket.com/u/wildman4x4nut/a/46ed3164-632c-44db-89d4-58df1e74ca87/p/ca25a535-5f52-478b-acc6-711115ab261e]
IMGP2292.jpg
[/URL]

Up out of the dirt or mud. It's not for everyone but I liked it.

But wait, I was both (Long haul, short haul, LTL, and tow trucks hah)? Now I'm really confused.

I'm done arguing, just wanted the OP to know the truth. Beyond that convincing someone of this truth is like convincing some people to believe something their particular political party told them isn't true lol. It's too bad actual videos listed show a model of exactly how one is better, but thats apparently not proof enough :D

I'm on team straight strap too. Though probably converting to through the wheel or over the tire soon.

200w.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr

I once had a guy come wheeling with us. He secured his rig with one long tie down from the front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer. Going over both axles. He worked for the power company too.

We asked him to change it 😆

• Wow
Reactions: SvtLdr
If in doubt, add another strap. Nothing to the body, bumpers, above the springs, etc. Don't hook your winch to the trailer as a tie down point.

The wheel chocks we screwed into the deck meant no forward or backwards movement.

My brother pulls all sorts of large items multiple times a week. Campers, boats, trailers, .... it depends on what he buys to sell at his dealership. So I trusted him. It's not like we were pulling it with an RV like he did with a boat from Florida.

At the first stop, he tightened everything again, then checked the load and trailer at every stop. The 900 miles to Moab was an easy towing day for him. He can pull up to 37,000 lbs with his truck. The Jeep was nothing.

Tie low, check your load frequently, carry a spare tire for the trailer, make sure all the lights work and the tires are inflated. Use bearing buddies.

😀

Reactions: RINC
Off topic a bit, but I remember back in the mid 60's when I first engaged with the racing scene there were very few trailers. Nearly everyone flat towed with tow hubs bolted to the rear of the car being towed. Wish I still had mine to show you, but alas got rid of nearly everything before retiring and making the final move to Florida. If you owned a trailer back then you were very well to do. My, how things have changed in 70 years.

If in doubt, add another strap. Nothing to the body, bumpers, above the springs, etc. Don't hook your winch to the trailer as a tie down point.

The wheel chocks we screwed into the deck meant no forward or backwards movement.

My brother pulls all sorts of large items multiple times a week. Campers, boats, trailers, .... it depends on what he buys to sell at his dealership. So I trusted him. It's not like we were pulling it with an RV like he did with a boat from Florida.

At the first stop, he tightened everything again, then checked the load and trailer at every stop. The 900 miles to Moab was an easy towing day for him. He can pull up to 37,000 lbs with his truck. The Jeep was nothing.

Tie low, check your load frequently, carry a spare tire for the trailer, make sure all the lights work and the tires are inflated. Use bearing buddies.

😀

Tandem or triple wheel trailers carry a drive-on ramp for flat tires...way easier and quicker than a jack.

😀

Yes. Checking tie downs is a given.