How do I strap my TJ to a trailer?

Hows the weight distribution like that? Is the camper heavy enough?sweet looking jeep by the way!

Checking out the jeep pics is most of what I'm getting out of this thread,lol

What every crossed strap puke fully overlooks is all load rated rigging decreases in capacity for use as the angle increases from straight. The decrease is not slight either.

Inline does as poorly side to side as crossed does simply by virtue of decreased load capacity. The two straps at one end have to work in unison to achieve the side to side stability. Since the vast majority of the load is fore and aft, pulling on crossed straps in those directions with their diminished capacity and the absolute need to have them work as a single unit dictates that they have no more side to side stability than straight straps.

I'll bet you cross your safety chains under the trailer tongue too.

Poorly worded reply. What you don't understand is none of those cross straps have lost an ounce of their rating until a force is applied. If you want to use the rigging ratio's of 45 degrees you theoretically might lose 30 percent of the gross capacity of a strap. Using these in a cross configuration with straps rated at say 10K you are well within safety limits and have gained more stability at the same time...more bases covered from the start.

Please stop with the "broken strap" scenario. You can't break one of those straps and nobody here has ever seen one break. This three strap possibility/impossibility has grown wearisome. You might lose a strap because it was improperly installed...that's on the user, not the straps fault. You can't predict the forces you will encounter so why not cover as many bases as possible? Cross strapping does this.

Last edited:
Hows the weight distribution like that? Is the camper heavy enough?sweet looking jeep by the way!

Checking out the jeep pics is most of what I'm getting out of this thread,lol

I was just looking and can't find any pictures but I use to haul 3 quads on the back instead of the Jeep also. It worked fine for this. With the weight of the camper on the nose it always seems to tow just fine.

I even towed it with my 3/4 ton Ram until I got my 1 ton dually. It was fine but the dually did tow better.

IMG_0636.JPG

IMGP1962.jpg

Poorly worded reply. What you don't understand is none of those cross straps have lost an ounce of their rating until a force is applied.
Now you are showing why you do what you do. You can't tighten the ratchet straps without loading them. I'm now officially done with your dumbass.
If you want to use the rigging ratio's of 45 degrees you theoretically might lose 30 percent of the gross capacity of a strap. Using these in a cross configuration with straps rated at say 10K you are well within safety limits and have gained more stability at the same time...more bases covered from the start.

Please stop with the "broken strap" scenario. You can't break one of those straps and nobody here has ever seen one break. This three strap possibility/impossibility has grown wearisome. You might lose a strap because it was improperly installed...that's on the user, not the straps fault. You can't predict the forces you will encounter so why not cover as many bases as possible? Cross strapping does this.

Now you are showing why you do what you do. You can't tighten the ratchet straps without loading them. I'm now officially done with your dumbass.

The only dumbassery here is on your part. You were finished before you began. That is exactly the response expected from someone who has no clue what they are talking about and too stubborn to admit their shortcomings. Your entire argument is based on a ridiculous broken strap vision...idiot. Continue to mumble on through life.

The only dumbassery here is on your part. You were finished before you began. That is exactly the response expected from someone who has no clue what they are talking about and too stubborn to admit their shortcomings. Your entire argument is based on a ridiculous broken strap vision...idiot. Continue to mumble on through life.

Fuck off.

Poorly worded reply. What you don't understand is none of those cross straps have lost an ounce of their rating until a force is applied. If you want to use the rigging ratio's of 45 degrees you theoretically might lose 30 percent of the gross capacity of a strap. Using these in a cross configuration with straps rated at say 10K you are well within safety limits and have gained more stability at the same time...more bases covered from the start.

Guess you don't know many people, based on how fast you're making enemies here I'm not surprised.

I've seen several broken straps, and I know others have here as well. And it's not just the strap, hooks/ratchets/tie down points can all break as they age and fatigue.

Seems the biggest fools in life are the ones that are unable to have an open mind and learn from the multitude trying to help them, assuming they are smarter than all the others...

Nice to meet you... fool.

Guess you don't know many people, based on how fast you're making enemies here I'm not surprised.

I've seen several broken straps, and I know others have here as well. And it's not just the strap, hooks/ratchets/tie down points can all break as they age and fatigue.

Seems the biggest fools in life are the ones that are unable to have an open mind and learn from the multitude trying to help them, assuming they are smarter than all the others...

I see few broken straps but I have seen a crapload of ones that were installed very tight, and not many miles later at the stop to check them, wind up being very loose. Loose is very bad since that creates the opportunity for momentum and shock loads.

You created an account on a tj forum and spent most of your introduction arguing about straps and calling people idiots....

Especially after those people like @mrblaine, @rasband and @DaveF posted justifications and articles/videos from actual strap manufacturers stating why they don't recommend what you are saying. Yet you have not posted one single piece of anything to back up what are saying.

weed-is-bad-its-a-getway-drug-its-addictive-and-makes-you-scum.gif

Last edited:
You created an account on a tj forum and spent most of your introduction arguing about straps and calling people idiots....

Especially after those people like @mrblaine, @rasband and @DaveF posted justifications and articles/videos from actual strap manufacturers stating why they don't recommend what you are saying. Yet you have not posted one single piece of anything to back up what are saying.

View attachment 346472

Back up there and start from the beginning...you will find it was/is the established members who began with the childish name calling and insults.

You won't find anything debunking what I have said thus far. I picked apart the so called expert video handily earlier. The "broken strap" theory advanced in this thread is laughable and without merit. You are condoning practices based on a ridiculous scenario and giving up well known advantages of other methods.

If there be enemies here they will be simple children.

You have never seen a healthy, properly cared for strap break from simple attachment. Anything you are describing is nothing more than user abused and neglected equipment. You obviously have no idea of the forces/impact it would take to cause the failure of one of these straps.

Again with the childish name calling...from those who formulate a plan of action based on a "3 strap" theory lol.

Ask yourself why is it the quoted attacks and insults magically disappeared from the thread.