How do I turn off the dome lights with the doors removed?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
You have 3 options to disable the interior dome lights when the doors are removed:

1. Remove fuse #4 labeled "door sw defeat" found in the fuse box located behind the glove box. It is the far lower, right fuse. Be advised this will also turns off your "Headlight On" reminder chime, but you can still turn on the dome light with the dimmer control as before.

2. Install/wire-in a switch. This can be purchased as a kit through several Jeep parts vendors or you can piece together your own kit very easily.

3. Install clips that attach to the door pins (see pic below). These are also available from several Jeep parts vendors for around $10/pair.

31569d1179441869t-faq-how-do-i-turn-off-dome-lights-doors-removed-doors-off-clips.jpg

Or, if you are handy and have some 1/8" x 1" band iron around, cut two pieces long enough to fit and mark them for the dash bolts. Then bend the location of the switch out enough, so when you bolt them up, it holds the switch button in enough to break the circuit. When measuring length, don't forget to add for the raised section.

Or, if you are handy and have some 1/8" x 1" band iron around, cut two pieces long enough to fit and mark them for the dash bolts. Then bend the location of the switch out enough, so when you bolt them up, it holds the switch button in enough to break the circuit. When measuring length, don't forget to add for the raised section.

Not a bad idea at all Allen!

Did that on my LJ. You can always turn the dome light on manually, so I left those in there even with the doors on.

True, although you will not have a dome light w/o the fuse. So if you are inclined to have one, leave the fuse.

My dome light works just fine without the fuse when I turn it on. Is that odd?

True, although you will not have a dome light w/o the fuse. So if you are inclined to have one, leave the fuse.
Yes the dome light will still work as usual if you pull the right fuse which is usually fuse #4. Jeep designed it specifically like that so the dome light could be turned on the usual way when the doors are off and the door switch defeat fuse has been removed.

Yes the dome light will still work as usual if you pull the right fuse which is usually fuse #4. Jeep designed it specifically like that so the dome light could be turned on the usual way when the doors are off and the door switch defeat fuse has been removed.

You are just all over the place Jerry. :)

Reactions: CasterTroy
Thanks Jerry, now I feel like an idiot for not trying the switch to turn the dome light on. The females in the family had a bad habit of leaving the doors open when we were out in the tall timber, so I pulled the fuse. It was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened so the fuse got pulled. There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over no dome light. Now I can turn the dome light on when needed and look like a genius! Thanks!

Reactions: B1pegasus
I've got a question about this matter. When I reinstall the fuse the dome lamps stay on. Is there a long delay before they go off? Just bought this 2002 Wrangler, and noticed the dome lamps didn't work with the doors open so did some looking and noticed the #4 fuse had been pulled. So put fuse back in and this happened. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I've got a question about this matter. When I reinstall the fuse the dome lamps stay on. Is there a long delay before they go off? Just bought this 2002 Wrangler, and noticed the dome lamps didn't work with the doors open so did some looking and noticed the #4 fuse had been pulled. So put fuse back in and this happened. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, mine has a long delay before they go off.

Reactions: GBlackburn
Update on dome lamps. Wound up being the drivers door ajar switch not being pushed in all the way by the door. Simple fix, vacuum plug over the plunger.

Reactions: Mikester86
Update on dome lamps. Wound up being the drivers door ajar switch not being pushed in all the way by the door. Simple fix, vacuum plug over the plunger.

Mine was passenger side, I crazy glued a piece of cardboard to the switch, and it works. I like your idea better! :) I would replace it, but I cannot find information on how to remove the old one.

Last edited:
3. Install clips that attach to the door pins (see pic below). These are also available from several Jeep parts vendors for around $10/pair.

Curious on how the clip works. Do you push the switch pin in (turning off the lights), and then squeeze the clip over the switch pin, holding in in the off position?

Reactions: Mikester86
Curious on how the clip works. Do you push the switch pin in (turning off the lights), and then squeeze the clip over the switch pin, holding in in the off position?

Haven't personally used them myself, but I imagine that's how they would work.