How do I turn off the dome lights with the doors removed?

I used an "Add a circuit" fused circuit "adder" purchased at the auto parts store. It plugs into your fuse box with no mods to the box, normally used to add a circuit (like maybe to power a CB etc). I wired it to a switch that i secured under the dash accesable via opening the glove box(I don't expect to ever be in such a hury that opening the GB is going to be a problem LOL). You have to modify the circuit adder if I recall to make this mod work.(I did this a while ago and would need to look at what I did if anyone is interested.) I soldered and shrink tubed all the connections. Mod works excellent and no lost fuses or clips etc. The Quadratech is $35 plug n play, the DIY is less expensive even if you have to buy all the components, but not by much. If you have crap stored up in your shop for days, it's REAL cheap LOL. IMHO I think my version is a cleaner install, no cutting, drilling, lame wire taps, janky fuse plug taps, clips to loose and you don't even see it.

I used an "Add a circuit" fused circuit "adder" purchased at the auto parts store. It plugs into your fuse box with no mods to the box, normally used to add a circuit (like maybe to power a CB etc). I wired it to a switch that i secured under the dash accesable via opening the glove box(I don't expect to ever be in such a hury that opening the GB is going to be a problem LOL). You have to modify the circuit adder if I recall to make this mod work.(I did this a while ago and would need to look at what I did if anyone is interested.) I soldered and shrink tubed all the connections. Mod works excellent and no lost fuses or clips etc. The Quadratech is $35 plug n play, the DIY is less expensive even if you have to buy all the components, but not by much. If you have crap stored up in your shop for days, it's REAL cheap LOL. IMHO I think my version is a cleaner install, no cutting, drilling, lame wire taps, janky fuse plug taps, clips to loose and you don't even see it.

Would you please add a diagram of how you wired this up? I have all of the parts but am still a little fuzzy on how to connect everything up.

Here is a post that explains what I did to turn off my dome light on my 2006. Info located in post #54.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...your-jeep-wrangler-tj.9151/page-3#post-142696
In my case I removed the fuse, installed the fuse circuit tap, ran two wires with an in-line fuse holder (10amp) from the tap to the switch and hooked these two wires to the two switch terminals.

Please note: I realize that the multi function switch should turn off the dome light and make this switch unnecessary. However, in my case, that function seems to be AWOL and this was much cheaper than a new switch since I had everything “in stock” except the switch.

Last edited:
The fuse tap is already wired correctly. I took this spare one apart to help make this easily understood in pics. Remove your courtesy lamps fuse from the panel and install it in the top location (away from fuse panel) as shown in pic. attach a length of wire to the existing wire on the tap and the other end to your "new" switch. I used lamp cord to make it clean and all tied together. Attach both ends of the two legged lamp cord to the switch. Now back to the fuse tap end of the wire, a micro spade terminal is added to that last loose wire, then plug it into the fuse tap just bellow the fuse on the same side the wire comes out of the fuse tap(see Pic). If you don't have or can't find a micro spade terminal, you can make one by removing the terminal out of a fuse and soldering it to your wire. I shink tubed everything, plugged it in and have been using it ever since. I also double sided sticky taped the fuse to the right side of the dash just inside the glove box opening.
Pic TJ 1 Installed in fuse block
Pic Tj 2 Unplugged from fuse block for clarity
Pic TJ 4 Fuse tap disassembled

Hope that helps

TJ 1.jpg

TJ 2.jpg

TJ 4.jpg

The fuse tap is already wired correctly. I took this spare one apart to help make this easily understood in pics. Remove your courtesy lamps fuse from the panel and install it in the top location (away from fuse panel) as shown in pic. attach a length of wire to the existing wire on the tap and the other end to your "new" switch. I used lamp cord to make it clean and all tied together. Attach both ends of the two legged lamp cord to the switch. Now back to the fuse tap end of the wire, a micro spade terminal is added to that last loose wire, then plug it into the fuse tap just bellow the fuse on the same side the wire comes out of the fuse tap(see Pic). If you don't have or can't find a micro spade terminal, you can make one by removing the terminal out of a fuse and soldering it to your wire. I shink tubed everything, plugged it in and have been using it ever since. I also double sided sticky taped the fuse to the right side of the dash just inside the glove box opening.
Pic TJ 1 Installed in fuse block
Pic Tj 2 Unplugged from fuse block for clarity
Pic TJ 4 Fuse tap disassembled

Hope that helps

View attachment 95970

View attachment 95971

View attachment 95972
This is helpful!! So, if I understand correctly..... You have the fuse tap wire running to one pole on the switch, then another wire running back from the other pole into one of the empty slots in the fuse tap?

Yes correct, if you look at the picture of the fuse tap I took apart, your switch needs to connect/disconnect the red wire and the terminal bellow it. With the fuse inserted in the top terminals IE one leg of the fuse in the red wire terminal and the other in the top of the apposite side terminal. Terminal referring to the female spade terminals.

You have 3 options to disable the interior dome lights when the doors are removed:

1. Remove fuse #4 labeled "door sw defeat" found in the fuse box located behind the glove box. It is the far lower, right fuse. Be advised this will also turns off your "Headlight On" reminder chime, but you can still turn on the dome light with the dimmer control as before.

2. Install/wire-in a switch. This can be purchased as a kit through several Jeep parts vendors or you can piece together your own kit very easily.

3. Install clips that attach to the door pins (see pic below). These are also available from several Jeep parts vendors for around $10/pair.

View attachment 294
I have a 2004..and they shut off automatically after a few seconds. I can turn them on with the dome light switch on column.
Guess it doesnt work the same on all tjs.

Reactions: Chris
Curious on how the clip works. Do you push the switch pin in (turning off the lights), and then squeeze the clip over the switch pin, holding in in the off position?
You squeeze the clip which opens the spring a little. Then you push it over the switch and release the clip. The clip grips the body of the switch and holds the pin down.