How do you clean your hands?

GrapeJuice

Supporting Member
Been getting under the hood over the weekends and by Sunday night I've got some dirty, beat up hands. I use gloves sometimes, but others times just want/need bare hands. When I'm back at work I'm trying to look a little less like I crawled out of a cave (even though I probably don't care that much). So what's a good or preferred hand cleaner that work?

I keep this in my laundry room sink and it does a really great job. Perfect for greasy/dirty hands after working on the Jeep. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBNTX2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And Chris, I wear (nitrile) gloves too but half the time they'll tear in the middle of the job when I'm under the Jeep so my hand still get dirty. :)

I just picked this up from Lowe's:

gojo.jpg

When I started fixing cars in the mid-90's I was assigned to an older Haitian gent named Joe, ASE Master Tech for me to learn from. He washed his hands several times a day by first scrubbing them with auto trans fluid (he said the detergents in it really help to get the dirt off) then spraying off with chlorinated brake cleaner. He was adamant that that non-chlorinated brake cleaner just doesn't cut it. His hands were huge, likely swollen from years of doing this. He's most certainly dead now.

Comet, scotch brite sponge.

When I started fixing cars in the mid-90's I was assigned to an older Haitian gent named Joe, ASE Master Tech for me to learn from. He washed his hands several times a day by first scrubbing them with auto trans fluid (he said the detergents in it really help to get the dirt off) then spraying off with chlorinated brake cleaner. He was adamant that that non-chlorinated brake cleaner just doesn't cut it. His hands were huge, likely swollen from years of doing this. He's most certainly dead now.
My family owned a mechanic shop and back in the 70's we used a lot of ZEP products that were some real nasty stuff. We had our hands in solvents and other chemicals daily, except carburetor cleaner as that shit would eat your hide off! Unfortunately Nitrile gloves weren't a thing back then.

CRC Brake Clean (Red can) is good stuff but I wear gloves. :)

Reactions: John Cooper
My family owned a mechanic shop and back in the 70's we used a lot of ZEP products that were some real nasty stuff. We had our hands in solvents and other chemicals daily, except carburetor cleaner as that shit would eat your hide off! Unfortunately Nitrile gloves weren't a thing back then.

CRC Brake Clean (Red can) is good stuff but I wear gloves. :)
I think about all the brake & carb cleaner I've inhaled over the years working in shops with little to no ventilation...

I have tried and used every hand cleaner mentioned so far and many more that haven't been. There was a similar thread on Pirate in years past and I made it a point to buy and try every hand cleaner that they posted up that worked. By and large they were mostly full of shit especially that "dirt" based junk.

The best by far is the stuff from Full Bore. They build a hand cleaner that is detergent, not solvent based. The green stuff we keep in a tub out by the hose bib, I keep a tub of the yellow in the house by the kitchen sink. The green you wet your hands first, a ball the size of a nickel, scrub it in, add a few drops of water, and it gets it all. The same for the yellow but it takes about twice as much.

The very best thing is that you have to wet your hands first. We've all done it, not pay full attention, miss some and because our hands are still wet, more hand cleaner doesn't work very well because it likes to be used on dry hands.

The green- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...s-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap

The yellow- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...0-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap