How do you clean your hands?

I have tried and used every hand cleaner mentioned so far and many more that haven't been. There was a similar thread on Pirate in years past and I made it a point to buy and try every hand cleaner that they posted up that worked. By and large they were mostly full of shit especially that "dirt" based junk.

The best by far is the stuff from Full Bore. They build a hand cleaner that is detergent, not solvent based. The green stuff we keep in a tub out by the hose bib, I keep a tub of the yellow in the house by the kitchen sink. The green you wet your hands first, a ball the size of a nickel, scrub it in, add a few drops of water, and it gets it all. The same for the yellow but it takes about twice as much.

The very best thing is that you have to wet your hands first. We've all done it, not pay full attention, miss some and because our hands are still wet, more hand cleaner doesn't work very well because it likes to be used on dry hands.

The green- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...s-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap

The yellow- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...0-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap

Just ordered the sample kit with a free ship promo. https://fullboreproducts.com/product/hand-cleaner-sample

Thx Blaine!

Reactions: mrblaine
I wear rubberized Kevlar gloves for dry stuff and nitrile gloves with rubberized Kevlar over the nitrile for chemicals and other dangerous chemical. I always ended up with holes in nitrile gloves and now they last a while. I usually turn them inside out to dry and re-use them.

I wear rubberized Kevlar gloves for dry stuff and nitrile gloves with rubberized Kevlar over the nitrile for chemicals and other dangerous chemical. I always ended up with holes in nitrile gloves and now they last a while. I usually turn them inside out to dry and re-use them.
Well that was eye opening. We've been using a dyneema fiber based thin urethane coated glove for at least 12 years. High dexterity, tough, very thin, non restrictive, high grip that look similar to these.

https://legionsafety.com/p/1064-superior-dyneema-gloves-cut-resistant-palm-coated-s13sxgpuq/v/14164

I forgot the name so I went looking to see if I'd recognize them. I had no idea that the market is fully overrun with all the options now. When we first started using them, there were no others that were similar. Now there are too many to count.

You're a two Jeep household. You should be broke and twice as dirty. Now you can't afford hand cleaner! :D
No joke! I think I’ve decided to move my OME springs over to the White TJ and get Currie 4” for mine. Kinda stupid not to at this point. I’m buying springs no matter what. I think I felt a lot like you and your new Silver TJ build. You knew all this stuff, but it’s still hard to decide what to do.

Reactions: rasband and Irun
There is this stuff you can coat your hands with before you work... there is also this other stuff that looked like a pool of damp sand they told me to dip my hands in it and then wash them under a tap, it got rid of all the grease/

For six years I worked degreasing capacitors before they got covered in a type of epoxy. I couldn't wear gloves because the fumes would get inside the glove then become fluid. My skin would become raw, crack, and bleed but no problem they would move me into the fluid bedroom where orange powder covered the pellets. My clothes, and the inside of my lungs were covered with nasty powder. Then when my hands healed it was back to breathing in heated industrial degreaser, I don't know why I'm still alive.

My hands were really clean after 8 hours in the degreasing fluid.

Just perusing old threads. In addition to gloves if I can stand them, before I hit the garage I squirt a bit of dawn dish soap on my hands and rub it in till it dries, especially under my nails and cuticles. It seems to keep the dirt from sticking.
After working, I scrub with a stiff fingernail brush.

When I started fixing cars in the mid-90's I was assigned to an older Haitian gent named Joe, ASE Master Tech for me to learn from. He washed his hands several times a day by first scrubbing them with auto trans fluid (he said the detergents in it really help to get the dirt off) then spraying off with chlorinated brake cleaner. He was adamant that that non-chlorinated brake cleaner just doesn't cut it. His hands were huge, likely swollen from years of doing this. He's most certainly dead now.
I used to do the same thing with MEK, now acetone seems less hard on my liver. We didn’t have trichloro…whatever it was banned in the 70’s

I now use a green Scotch Brite pad with dawn. It stays in the laundry room till it wears out, then I get a new pad. Fast, and keeps your hands soft. LOL

I gave up and started wearing gloves. Typical mechanix gloves mostly, but disposable nitrile for stuff that I really need the sensation and dexterity with, or that is likely to soak my hands in oil or grease and ruin a set of mechanix gloves.

When I do have a glove failure, or just get lazy and don't put any on, I'm happy enough with Dawn.

I used to do the same thing with MEK, now acetone seems less hard on my liver. We didn’t have trichloro…whatever it was banned in the 70’s
I was in the Navy from '69 - '75 (ET) and we used trichlorethylene to clean electrical and electronic components all the time. When word came down that it had been banned for causing brain damage (difficult to detect in some of my shipmates!). We were ordered to dispose of it immediately. How to dispose of around 100 gallons of toxic material at sea? Yep, over the side it went. I wonder how many fish suffered from brain damage? We were in the middle of the north Atlantic, so I doubt that any of it made it to coastal waters. BTW, this was not our decision; we were ordered to dump it.

I have tried and used every hand cleaner mentioned so far and many more that haven't been. There was a similar thread on Pirate in years past and I made it a point to buy and try every hand cleaner that they posted up that worked. By and large they were mostly full of shit especially that "dirt" based junk.

The best by far is the stuff from Full Bore. They build a hand cleaner that is detergent, not solvent based. The green stuff we keep in a tub out by the hose bib, I keep a tub of the yellow in the house by the kitchen sink. The green you wet your hands first, a ball the size of a nickel, scrub it in, add a few drops of water, and it gets it all. The same for the yellow but it takes about twice as much.

The very best thing is that you have to wet your hands first. We've all done it, not pay full attention, miss some and because our hands are still wet, more hand cleaner doesn't work very well because it likes to be used on dry hands.

The green- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...s-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap

The yellow- https://fullboreproducts.com/produc...0-64-oz-mechanic-industrial-hand-cleaner-soap
This is by for the best hand cleaner I have found as well. It works so well my work became a dealer for them.

Reactions: mrblaine
Very stiff nail brush. Good ole bar soap. Jump in the shower and scrub away. Been an industrial mechanic for thirty years or more and my hands always come clean. Lil rough but dinner time shiny.