How do you mount a 32" wheel to a tj spare tire mount

Steve White

I replaced the tires on my TJ with a set of 32" tires from a YK model. No problem with the wheel adapters, but I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the spare tire mount to handle a 32" YK wheel. Is there an adapter for the spare tire mount?

Definitely don't recommend the extension. The correct way to do this would be to get an aftermarket spare tire carrier.

Reactions: StG58
Im about to put a 33" spare in place of the stock one. Is the relocation bracket also not reccomended bc of weight issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do it. With a 33" tire (especially if it's an MT tire) you're going to have a ton of weight hanging on your rear tailgate. At 33" you really need to think about an aftermarket tire carrier.

I also mounted a 31" to my factory carrier. Any bigger than that though and you're really pushing it IMHO.

You should be OK using an extension as long as you provide some kind of base to the rear bumper so that the vertical load of the tire sits on the bumper, not dangling from the tailgate.

Reactions: macox49
I modified my stock carrier, raised it 3" and centered it on the tailgate. Won't do that again, the tailgate by the latch is curved and starting to crack. Maybe related to opening the tailgate several times a day since I use it for work but I'm pretty sure it is related to the extra load and leverage too. I'm looking at the ExoGate or Bestops separate carrier next.... and a new tailgate.

DSC_0009.jpg

I'm looking at an Exogate myself soon too. I just wish they were lower in price or had a competitor. Or offered theirs in aluminum too.
I prefer their idea over a bumper mounted one.
OrFab had a good one, but aren't in business anymore. The Besttop one is the closest thing for me, but I'm not entirely sure I like the looks of the extra tubes, although they can be modified to be useful for additional mounting locations too.

I'm currently keeping my old stock 30" tire on as my spare. My spare 33" lives in my house for now.

OrFab had a good one, but aren't in business anymore.

They'll be back in business soon (which is what I am waiting for so I can purchase their tire carrier). Supposedly they are restricting their business. Literally, as soon as they open their doors I'll be dropping $1000 (or however much) to get their tire carrier. I've been waiting forever!

I also mounted a 31" to my factory carrier. Any bigger than that though and you're really pushing it IMHO.
Not at all. The key is the rubber snubbers have to be in contact with the sidewall when the gate is slammed and the bottom edge of the tire has to be on the bumper.

Kat's 01 had a 35" MT/R on the stock carrier on the stock tailgate less than 6 months after we bought it new. It was on there until a couple of years ago and the gate is just as tight and rattle free today as the day we bought it. The key is the tire can't move when the gate is shut and the bumper carries part of the weight.

Reactions: derekmac
Not at all. The key is the rubber snubbers have to be in contact with the sidewall when the gate is slammed and the bottom edge of the tire has to be on the bumper.

Kat's 01 had a 35" MT/R on the stock carrier on the stock tailgate less than 6 months after we bought it new. It was on there until a couple of years ago and the gate is just as tight and rattle free today as the day we bought it. The key is the tire can't move when the gate is shut and the bumper carries part of the weight.

All that extra weight doesn't put any extra stress on the hinges though? I'd think at some point your hinges would start sagging from the extra weight from the big heavy wheel / tire.

All that extra weight doesn't put any extra stress on the hinges though? I'd think at some point your hinges would start sagging from the extra weight from the big heavy wheel / tire.
How long is "at some point"? I put the 35" tire on the stock carrier and stock tailgate in 01. I only removed it a couple of years ago to install an Exogate but not because it was needed, but because I did an update on her rig for her and she wanted it. If it didn't sag, loosen, or exhibit any other detriment in 13 years, how much longer of a test do you need?

The tailgate, hinges, latch, and stock carrier was as tight and unscathed as the day we brought it home when I installed the Exogate.

Inversely, a friend of mine installed an Exogate and didn't pay attention to the snubbers. He ruined the gate and I had to cut it up and remake several pieces to it and weld it all back together. The tire can not hang from anything back there. It has to be tight against the snubbers.

How long is "at some point"? I put the 35" tire on the stock carrier and stock tailgate in 01. I only removed it a couple of years ago to install an Exogate but not because it was needed, but because I did an update on her rig for her and she wanted it. If it didn't sag, loosen, or exhibit any other detriment in 13 years, how much longer of a test do you need?

The tailgate, hinges, latch, and stock carrier was as tight and unscathed as the day we brought it home when I installed the Exogate.

Inversely, a friend of mine installed an Exogate and didn't pay attention to the snubbers. He ruined the gate and I had to cut it up and remake several pieces to it and weld it all back together. The tire can not hang from anything back there. It has to be tight against the snubbers.

Damn... Well then, this is officially settled. If you had a 35" tire on there for 13 years without issue, then there's no other test needed.

Makes me wonder then why anyone even bothers with a tire carrier if the stock tailgate is up to it.

Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

Damn... Well then, this is officially settled. If you had a 35" tire on there for 13 years without issue, then there's no other test needed.

Makes me wonder then why anyone even bothers with a tire carrier if the stock tailgate is up to it.

Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist?
Because like the triumvirate of off roading accessories not too long ago, (hi-lift jack, Optima Battery, and K&N air filter) the swing out tire carrier had to be run if you ran anything other than the stock tire and rim and that is due to the extensions being sold that just trash the tailgate, folks that move them (the spare) up without making sure they are done correctly and then the damage gets shown without a clear understanding of what actually caused it.

It wasn't "run" for 13 years, it was run correctly so the tire didn't move when the gate was closed and it had to be shut with authority to get it closed in order to slightly compress the snubbers.

I've seen quite a few stock rigs with 32's on them and a swing out tire carrier and bumper so the hype exists as does the need to buy accessories and bolt them on.

Reactions: Chris
Well this has me re-thinking a tire carrier. I thought I needed one to mount a 33" spare, but clearly I learned something new.

If it's not going to put any stress on my stock tailgate when mounted correctly, then I guess it really defeats the purpose of a tire carrier!

Because like the triumvirate of off roading accessories not too long ago, (hi-lift jack, Optima Battery, and K&N air filter) the swing out tire carrier had to be run if you ran anything other than the stock tire and rim and that is due to the extensions being sold that just trash the tailgate, folks that move them (the spare) up without making sure they are done correctly and then the damage gets shown without a clear understanding of what actually caused it.

It wasn't "run" for 13 years, it was run correctly so the tire didn't move when the gate was closed and it had to be shut with authority to get it closed in order to slightly compress the snubbers.

I've seen quite a few stock rigs with 32's on them and a swing out tire carrier and bumper so the hype exists as does the need to buy accessories and bolt them on.
I am running the stock tire carrier...when I put 32" tires on, the bottom snubber is a bit too tight against the tire sidewall due to the wider tire - it makes it a little too hard to shut the tailgate all the way. Is there a way to trim the bottom snubber a bit?

I am running the stock tire carrier...when I put 32" tires on, the bottom snubber is a bit too tight against the tire sidewall due to the wider tire - it makes it a little too hard to shut the tailgate all the way. Is there a way to trim the bottom snubber a bit?
Yes, you can trim them but try putting a couple of washers on the studs on the tire carrier first. Sometimes all it takes is one washer on the lower stud to tilt the tire out slightly so you can "slam" the gate and get it to close.

Reactions: PCO6 and Ron505
Yes, you can trim them but try putting a couple of washers on the studs on the tire carrier first. Sometimes all it takes is one washer on the lower stud to tilt the tire out slightly so you can "slam" the gate and get it to close.
Thanks for the idea. I will give that a try first.