How do you mount a 32" wheel to a tj spare tire mount

I replaced the tires on my TJ with a set of 32" tires from a YK model. No problem with the wheel adapters, but I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the spare tire mount to handle a 32" YK wheel. Is there an adapter for the spare tire mount?

I just went to 33" inch tires from stock and the outfitter replaced my carrier, said the stock one wouldn't hold

Yes, you can trim them but try putting a couple of washers on the studs on the tire carrier first. Sometimes all it takes is one washer on the lower stud to tilt the tire out slightly so you can "slam" the gate and get it to close.
I used washers too (2/stud) and it works fine. My tire (265/75/16 or just under 32") is tight to the rubber bumbers.

Mines a basic LJ and I picked up the 2 plastic spacers that come with Rubicons for elevating the 3rd brake light. The spacer lifts the plastic light bracket by about 0.75".

Last edited:
Im about to put a 33" spare in place of the stock one. Is the relocation bracket also not reccomended bc of weight issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The weight issues is false, I've had a 32x11.5 on my TJ for over ten years and there is absolutely no damage to my tailgate.

e4fvXSgJgsIJnfg8Jf-fNwpc86I8eaX0ioflBQQ3voYW39PY5gWd_4tVlvSVA11hDuxyzk3BXzjTGfbYIE=w1292-h968-no.jpg

Yes, you can trim them but try putting a couple of washers on the studs on the tire carrier first. Sometimes all it takes is one washer on the lower stud to tilt the tire out slightly so you can "slam" the gate and get it to close.
I did end up doing the washer thing yesterday. I tried two on the lowest stud and that was ok, but then put some slightly thinner ones on that same stud and all is well. The tailgate shuts firmly and the tire contacts the lower snubber with the tailgate open about 3/4", so I think I'm good.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Because like the triumvirate of off roading accessories not too long ago, (hi-lift jack, Optima Battery, and K&N air filter) the swing out tire carrier had to be run if you ran anything other than the stock tire and rim and that is due to the extensions being sold that just trash the tailgate, folks that move them (the spare) up without making sure they are done correctly and then the damage gets shown without a clear understanding of what actually caused it.

It wasn't "run" for 13 years, it was run correctly so the tire didn't move when the gate was closed and it had to be shut with authority to get it closed in order to slightly compress the snubbers.

I've seen quite a few stock rigs with 32's on them and a swing out tire carrier and bumper so the hype exists as does the need to buy accessories and bolt them on.

I have been going back and forth about how to mount my 33" spare tire: I have had it on my tailgate with the rubber bumpers pressed against the tire, however, I haven't modified the bottom bumper because it is almost impossible to close my tailgate when it's extended.

How did you extend your bottom bumper (i'd like to try many different configurations to see which one I like the most)?

Why you Guys can by it so cheap , i have to pay 450 € :(

Yeah, we get Jeep parts for pretty cheap here. It's the shipping and taxes that really kills you guys.

For instance, if I order that part up right now on Amazon, I get free shipping on it, as long as it's delivered within the United States.