How do you prevent adjustable control arms from not moving due to rust?

TheShakes90

I live in the rust belt and last summer installed some Rokmen arms, went out today to readjust because something feels wrong (angle was wrong since I didn't correct after removing a tcase drop) , but the joints were rusted to where they wouldn't move and even the Johnny joint itself is extremely stiff.

For those of you in the rust belt how do you prevent your arms from doing this? Right now I'm going joint by joint and applying some penetrating fluid to remove them

15921870253087753049351702469938.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ephry73
I grease everything first snow fall, if I'm remembering correctly that was mid or late October. Was going to regrease last month, but didn't when I thought I was gonna be under it more this summer

You must diassemble each joint, clean it, and hand apply Redline CV2 moly grease to each ball and inside each race. Make sure to coat the entire ball, as this coating will help protect the exposed part outside the race from weather elements. I dis this and have had no issues since. I also do drive mine in the salt either. Here is my thread on my JJ issues:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-far-not-impressed-with-johnny-joints.28625/
Edit: nothing is going to survive in salted road driving for too long and will require 10x the maintenance to prolong what little life it will have in those harsh conditions.

Wash it off every chance you get or keep something like fluid film on it at all times. Frequent re-application will be required in the winter time. It gets old fast.

@taylormade73 when you disassembled did you use the actual tool? Looks like a ball joint press might do it

Yes I used the actual tool. I bought the tools for the small and the larger Johnny joints. With the tool, it makes disassembling and reassembling the joints a breeze. I can do 1 in about 5-10 minutes now. I suppose a ball joint press or similar would work.

I'll go against the grain here and suggest buying a beater for the winter :ROFLMAO:
Of the two vehicles I'm lucky enough to own this is more of the beater with a heater, a motorcycle isn't exactly useable in subzero weather.

Besides they perfectly complement each other, winter is motorcycle customization and weird maintenance while summer is Jeep customization and weird maintenance

Reactions: Chris
So after getting one of the lowers off I'm faced with four options:
1) rebuild kits for all 14 joints
2) new rod ends entirely(according to a buddy of a shop I use when I'm lazy Rokmen sometimes bought weird and quite a few different threads so this might be out)
3) buy some Currie or Savvy arms
4) buy some clevite or duroflex for now
Any advice on route?