How do you recover a Jeep from a spot like this?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I have watched few scary recoveries from Justin King's colorado 4x4 rescue channel. But this one below looks really icky! Do you think this is recoverable? It's going to cost a lot of money.

On a side note, how many have turned back when a trail or FS road really sketchy? I've done it 2-3 times in my old Mazda .. each time, I had ended up missing the route to a remote trailhead in a new area and took a wrong turn and eventually decided to turn back instead of risking it further. One time was near Mt Jefferson as it was starting to get dark. That was a bit scary for sure

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36651...ifornia-after-some-fool-drove-up-a-bike-trail
message-editor_1600803230963-stuckjeep3.jpg

message-editor_1600803248151-stuckjeep2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
What the hell was he thinking ??? :rolleyes:
Reminds me of people who end up driving down a boat ramp and into the water because their Sat Nav told them to do it...Sheeeesh !!

If he’s got a recovery point on the rear, my inclination would be to winch him slowly from as far back as possible (80 feet) and slowly, with a good driver in the seat and comms. pull him back Where he came from.

Whoever did that is pretty gutsy and brainless, a bad combination

If you pull it slightly over in the front, you'd have both tires on the driver's side in the rut. Then I'd pull it forward or backward slowly with the tires in the rut. The direction would depend on if they could get out going forward or if it only got worse on the other side of the hill. We know they came from the backward direction.

If they already had a winch and some anchors they probably would have been able to go forward. It looks hung up on the back passenger side. But it looks like they only need to move 5 feet or so forward to get the back up on more level ground again.

The key would be to see what's over the hill in front of it. Like I said they may be on the best part of the trail where they are and forward only gets worse.

I have watched few scary recoveries from Justin King's colorado 4x4 rescue channel. But this one below looks really icky! Do you think this is recoverable? It's going to cost a lot of money.

On a side note, how many have turned back when a trail or FS road really sketchy? I've done it 2-3 times in my old Mazda .. each time, I had ended up missing the route to a remote trailhead in a new area and took a wrong turn and eventually decided to turn back instead of risking it further. One time was near Mt Jefferson as it was starting to get dark. That was a bit scary for sure

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36651...ifornia-after-some-fool-drove-up-a-bike-trail
View attachment 191449

View attachment 191450
I wonder if it was a rental?

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73 and j8ksdad
The only reason this is a bike path instead of a Jeep trail is the government set it up that way by allowing bikes but not vehicles.

There are dangerous sections on a lot of Jeep trails. I watch some of the stuff people do in Moab and this doesn't look much different. Had there not been a single bicycle rut, but a double path worn by vehicles, they would have probably driven right through.

And people here would have badges on their Jeeps for completing the same trail. :p

All i can say is that it is a good think this guy DID NOT have a high lift jack --he might have tried-—--and failed.

Reminds me of the story i heard from a guy who gives jeep rides for a living out of Ouray back in 2008. Story goes that some brain trust decided Engineer Pass was a good route to take his RV over from Silverton to Lake City. As it got worse and worse he now realized there was no turning back then finally had to stop in a inside (concave) hairpin when the front wheels were on one side of the ravine and the back wheels were on the other (having both backpacked and Jeep'd this pass i can picture at least 4 of those possible spots). Reportedly they had quite a time bringing up recovery tow trucks of sufficient size from Lake City on one end and Silverton on the other to lift and scoot him backwards down the trail. IF True- can't image the bill.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JMT
The only reason this is a bike path instead of a Jeep trail is the government set it up that way by allowing bikes but not vehicles.

There are dangerous sections on a lot of Jeep trails. I watch some of the stuff people do in Moab and this doesn't look much different. Had there not been a single bicycle rut, but a double path worn by vehicles, they would have probably driven right through.

And people here would have badges on their Jeeps for completing the same trail. :p
Is there one? Dare I ask the trail name :ROFLMAO: