How do you recover a Jeep from a spot like this?

That video made me nervous:
  • Guys tethering themselves to a tippy chunk of metal about to roll down the side of a mountain
  • Other guys with a big knife cutting the winch line a little to test it (I wouldn't want them cutting my line!)
  • Guys with a big knife cutting the winch line a little to test it in the middle of the recovery!
  • The camera man standing downhill of the whole mess that's about to roll down the side of a mountain and take him with it
  • People huddled around the winch line without so much as safety glasses
😰

I can just see the headline: "Thirteen people killed when recovery rope severed"
The article continues: "Driver reportedly emerged dazed but unscathed from tangled mess of bodies, metal, and rope, saying 'We should have just given it a swift kick to the driver's side door!' Others standing by commented how well the recovery was going until the driver shouted something about the rope. One person who wishes to remain anonymous said he was standing close to the guys with the knife and heard them debating for a moment what the driver meant by that. 'The rest is just a blur. I guess we'll never know for sure what happened' this individual said, pointing to two of the bodies in the heap at the bottom of the mountain. A large knife was later found embedded in some sheet metal down there. Forensics reports that microscopic fibers matching the recovery rope were found in snags on the blade."

Last edited:
Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
So I’m guessing that no LEO’s, Paramedics or the Fire Dept. were present or called. And good on ya (not) video dude for showing the beer bottle trash, or even picking it up.

Not surprised the jeep brothers band to help another out. As crazy as it was, great to see them help a brother, even it was a dumb one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr and Kiwi TJ
That is what happens when an idiot and single track dirt bike trail come together.

Really it isn't how do you recover him, it's why do you need to?

As much as I am for doing whatever it takes to make things better, I'm also a big fan of not letting some things get started. That was beyond stupid. Years back a brand new Rubicon rolled off Black Bear Pass above Telluride.

The scale of the Silverton-Ouray-Telluride area is humbling, the beauty unbelievable.

In a lot of ways, you can get in way over your head out there. Ask the Donner party.

"Son, I really don't care for your friends" . "Then here Dad, try the corn".

• Haha
Reactions: DEValken and Zorba
And finally, some video on a site made for grownups. Even if it *is* vertical smartphone idiocy. Looks like it was a bit of a "Charlie Foxtrot".

Ford would have probably just sent a couple of F650 tow trucks and winched it out from the top of the hill.

I don't believe that recovery was OSHA approved. 🤪

There was a lot of stupid stuff going on there. I really especially appreciated the " ——" of the guys on slope in front of the Jeep. Lots of trust in the winch, cable, anchor vehicles and other people. Only about 20 guys saying at the same time- here hold my beer- we got this--

Reactions: Quigley