How do you secure tools, cargo?

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
How do you secure your gear, fluids, spare parts, and tools in the trunk area so they don’t shift around when running trails? Straps? Netting? What kind of tie down hardware?

I've got a storage box in the rear for that sort of stuff. And then for stuff that doesn't fit in it I use straps to tie stuff down.
They don't make these anymore unfortunately.

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

With the box there and the seat up it contains stuff under it but I still strap stuff down.

I am using an ATV box mounted to the floor with nutserts. I believe it was @MountaineerTom who had come up with the original idea. I havent had a rear seat in years, so the nutserts and rigid mounting made it easy for me. It contains all my recovery gear in the wheeling season. Winter gear and some other things in the winter.

20201122_162010.jpg

I copied @strumble8 and added nutserts to mount a Milwaukee Packout base and use their large tool box (and the packout socket set). The nice part is if the tailgate is locked you can't get the tool box off the base - so it adds a nice security.

View attachment 243733View attachment 243734
I think that would work for me, plus it's in the right color. Very nice solution. I like that it's nutserted down and not coming out if teh tailgate is locked because I don't like moving my tools in and out of the Jeep.
I've got a storage box in the rear for that sort of stuff. And then for stuff that doesn't fit in it I use straps to tie stuff down.
They don't make these anymore unfortunately.

View attachment 243725

View attachment 243724

View attachment 243726

View attachment 243727

With the box there and the seat up it contains stuff under it but I still strap stuff down.
I'd love something like that if they still built them!
I use a behind-the-rear-seat interior cargo rack. Anything underneath that shifts won't go far, anything above is strapped down.

View attachment 243729

View attachment 243730

View attachment 243731
Organized as always, and well done, especially like that "TOILET" is labeled so prominently. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go, keep that on top for easy access. 😉

I gotta have my backseat for all my companions, though with the TJ fleet we're building, I may be able to ditch my seat and throw them another set of keys. Good ideas for the future. Thanks. Your rack works good for holding straps and such.

I am using an ATV box mounted to the floor with nutserts. I believe it was @MountaineerTom who had come up with the original idea. I havent had a rear seat in years, so the nutserts and rigid mounting made it easy for me. It contains all my recovery gear in the wheeling season. Winter gear and some other things in the winter.

View attachment 243736
Clean and the ATV box fits just about perfect between the wheel wells. Nice. For now I have to have my rear seat, but maybe something like this in the future.

Reactions: tworley
I'd love something like that if they still built them!

It was actually a box that Con-Fer made for the YJ and when they went out of business All J bought them all up and modified them to fit in a TJ. I got it as a Christmas present back in 2004. Was loads of fun trying to open the box when I was on no weight bearing on my right leg.

There are a lot of things I'd REALLY like to see some one start making some of the stuff no longer available for the TJ/LJ.

You need to trade one of those TJ's for a LJ so you have more storage room... 😁

Reactions: JMT and Tob
I've been using a 31"×19" gang box for a few years. I chopped the feet off and bolted it to the tub close to the tailgate. The height works well for throwing my spare on top to strap down (which was going to be a temporary deal but hasn't yet become enough of a PITA to motivate me to change the setup). The area between the box and my windjammer makes a decent spot for camping gear

orange-ridgid-jobsite-boxes-32r-os-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: Irun
watching for more ideas. Ideally I'd like to make an area behind my seat for the pups (half the size of the bench seat) and then the rest to store the spare and accessories.

I also got a rack from Olympic 4x4 that mounts to the spare tire mount. And I would carry my coolers and recovery gear on it so that it was easier to access.

View attachment 243744

View attachment 243745
I'm mocking some stuff up to do the same thing, I have that same rack, just can't put it in the bumper receptacle for obvious reasons. I'm also hesitant to toss the spare, but from what I gather it doesn't seem to be too uncommon huh..

Reactions: Wildman
I use some front runner wolf pack's for tools (strapped down). fluids are in their jugs in a milk crate. Still sorting out the rest, this should be a helpful thread for me.

Reactions: JMT
I'm mocking some stuff up to do the same thing, I have that same rack, just can't put it in the bumper receptacle for obvious reasons. I'm also hesitant to toss the spare, but from what I gather it doesn't seem to be too uncommon huh..

It appears Olympic 4x4 is either out of business or having issues with their website. And other vendors don't seem to be stocking their products much anymore.

I wasn't too worried about not carrying a spare with the Hummer beadlocks since I could easily break it down and repair a puncture. Of course breaking a WHEEL was the one thing I hadn't thought about.