How does a Currie Antirock sway bar improve off road performance?

Would an antirock be "safe" for highway , and travelling at 75mph?

of course I am not talking about driving like an idiot, but just if the increased body roll will affect noticeably on road safety etc?

Yes - I do it in Colorado through the mountains regularly. If you’re very concerned another option is the Swayloc that has a locking mechanism for on-road use for a more OEM feel.

Reactions: TJim and Apparition
Trying to wrap my head around this. How is is different than the stock sway bar? Connects to the axle and has a rod between them?

Trying to wrap my head around this. How is is different than the stock sway bar? Connects to the axle and has a rod between them?

Sigh.

The concept is explained quite well by a number of different posters in the linked thread.

Essentially, the SwayLOC employs an offroad torsion bar nearly identical to the Antirock torsion bar that can be locked together with the surrounding torsion tube that results in the stiffer on-road antisway bar. It is the best of both worlds for about $250 more than the Antirock Offroad Sway Bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
Sigh.

The concept is explained quite well by a number of different posters in the linked thread.

Essentially, the SwayLOC couples an offroad torsion bar nearly identical to the Antirock torsion bar that can be locked together with the surrounding torsion tube that results in the stiffer on-road antisway bar. It is the best of both worlds for about $250 more than the Antirock Offroad Sway Bar.
People don’t want to read, you know better. They want immediate answers. I can’t say I am entirely innocent when it comes to that either.

Would an antirock be "safe" for highway , and travelling at 75mph?

of course I am not talking about driving like an idiot, but just if the increased body roll will affect noticeably on road safety etc?
I daily drove an Antirock for many years. With good shocks, it works fine on the highway. I have a swayloc now, which is much nicer for street driving.

People don’t want to read, you know better. They want immediate answers. I can’t say I am entirely innocent when it comes to that either.

Can’t disagree, I need a simple quick answers! Based on what I’ve read it looks like the length of the arms from the connecting rod to where it connects to the axle allows for variable amounts of sway response.

98% of what you need to know will be in Post #1. ;)
Thanks for the write up! Quite useful!

it seems that I am going to just use disconnects for now, since my TJ is mostly driven on road, and I use it for travelling etc.

When the budget allows, and IF i find SwayLoc available somewhere in Europe (I cannot find it after a quick search) I might give it a try.
Thats not the case for me! I am reading daily many threads since I am a beginner and I value the advice from the most experienced of the forum!

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Sigh.

Essentially, the SwayLOC couples an offroad torsion bar nearly identical to the Antirock torsion bar that can be locked together with the surrounding torsion tube that results in the stiffer on-road antisway bar. It is the best of both worlds for about $250 more than the Antirock Offroad Sway Bar.
I read through it and it did answered my questions. It's a fairly simple concept, but with a lot of engineering, design and testing behind it. I know with the disconnects I get a little spooked with the body roll, so am considering this as an option for down the road. Thanks for the write up, I'll be sure to read through them first next time. ;)

Reactions: Apparition
In relation to the beginning of this thread where it talked about actual downforce of an axle when it is disconnected and articulated such that the spring is unhinged vs a Antirock at its maximum level of articulation. Wouldn't the Antirock as it approaches its limits be actively reducing the downforce of the tire due to the opposing force of twisting the bar? I would be curious to see what the contact weight of a dropping tire is between a disconnected axle and one with an antirock, at and close to the limits of each.