How does a mid-arm suspension improve the climbing capabilities from the drivers seat?

I agree. I enjoy watching his fabrication but even the fact that he used the laser to show how much the axle doesn’t move when going down (which although true has little to no relevance when actually discussing pros and cons). He also falls short is saying that “long arms” (what does that phrase even mean) “ride better” - compared to what? Not a well setup “short arm” suspension (also a bad label)
What a lot of folks miss is if there is an inherent ride quality improvement with long arms, you shouldn't be able to make them ride poorly and I can do that with a quickness.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Catching the rear frame mount is one of my complaints right now.
I went through this over and over and over with Matt. He had his frame height too low for 35's under some misguided notion that it was more stable. (in perspective, he was 83" outside of tire to outside of tire. My rig on 40's and a 67" WMS to WMS is 84") He was grinding up everything under the rig dragging it over the rocks in JV. Bumper, frame mounts, body mounts (raised ones no less) aluminum boat sides, belly skid, everything under the rig was just getting beat to shit. He cut off the front and raised the front bumper, steering, and frame to compensate and then shortly thereafter finally put coil overs on with 4" of ride height over stock and it all went away. Had he done that first, there would have been a whole lot less damage, I wouldn't have had to listen to and explain for hours why the rear mounts pretty much have to be the way they are so he would leave them the fuck alone and just fix the real problem.

You need to get the 35's you know you are going to wind up with and go be happy.

I went through this over and over and over with Matt. He had his frame height too low for 35's under some misguided notion that it was more stable. (in perspective, he was 83" outside of tire to outside of tire. My rig on 40's and a 67" WMS to WMS is 84") He was grinding up everything under the rig dragging it over the rocks in JV. Bumper, frame mounts, body mounts (raised ones no less) aluminum boat sides, belly skid, everything under the rig was just getting beat to shit. He cut off the front and raised the front bumper, steering, and frame to compensate and then shortly thereafter finally put coil overs on with 4" of ride height over stock and it all went away. Had he done that first, there would have been a whole lot less damage, I wouldn't have had to listen to and explain for hours why the rear mounts pretty much have to be the way they are so he would leave them the fuck alone and just fix the real problem.

You need to get the 35's you know you are going to wind up with and go be happy.

Let's substitute my name for his on on some of that. Duly noted and appreciated!

Reactions: toximus
It was an insane amount of work to raise it 2". He is in need of a new custom radiator as well. It was so much work that he said he would never do it again at any price.

2"!! That's waaay too much work! If this ever happens, it will only be back to the stock orientation. But 35s ought to happen first before a few other things. The idea is probably more compelling than the practically.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
This thread is full of great information. Really enjoy reading and thinking through a lot of this. Not to derail the conversation but.......as we are discussing short arms, mid arms as long arms, where does genright fall in all this? As I understand savvy’s geometry is set and wheel base cannot be cheated. Genright, seems like a company that has their shit in order. Their suspension brackets, various length of stretch can be achieved (without effecting geometry?). I’ve seen some awesome builds using their legend ext kit. I’d like to hear Blaine’s feed back and thoughts on this.

Every Genright product I have used, except for one, is flawed and not thought through in some way. And their builds are bad once you understand and see more than their flashy pictures.

I don't know the details of their midarm but I have zero desire after I've seen the rest of how they setup their suspension.

Reactions: mattcogdell
This thread is full of great information. Really enjoy reading and thinking through a lot of this. Not to derail the conversation but.......as we are discussing short arms, mid arms as long arms, where does genright fall in all this? As I understand savvy’s geometry is set and wheel base cannot be cheated. Genright, seems like a company that has their shit in order. Their suspension brackets, various length of stretch can be achieved (without effecting geometry?). I’ve seen some awesome builds using their legend ext kit. I’d like to hear Blaine’s feed back and thoughts on this.
I’m no Blaine, but I can say with certain amounts of confidence that any setup that claims you can lengthen the arms (stretch the axle) without changing the mounting positions is compromising something or full of it. I as well would love to hear your input Blaine

Every Genright product I have used, except for one, is flawed in some way. And their builds are bad once you understand and see more than their flashy pictures.
Fit and finish of those fenders that bad? They are on my long list, you talked about it in your build thread but would you get them again?

Every Genright product I have used, except for one, is flawed and not thought through in some way. And their builds are bad once you understand and see more than their flashy pictures.

I don't know the details of their midarm but I have zero desire after I've seen the rest of how they setup their suspension.
Just got done reading through the last few pages of your build 1.) great work congrats! 2.) I was very upset to see the amount of altering their product and others just to make it work.

1.) great work congrats!

Thank you.

2.) I was very upset to see the amount of altering their product and others just to make it work.

Unfortunately it's not only Genright's products. Nearly every "product" or "kit" I used on the build needed alterations (and not just because I'm applying it to a custom application). Still, for some reason every time I get a kit I say to myself "Ooo! A kit! This will be a fun change of pace." And it somehow ends up being worse than custom fabrication.

Reactions: astjp2 and reddvltj
Thank you.

Unfortunately it's not only Genright's products. Nearly every "product" or "kit" I used on the build needed alterations (and not just because I'm applying it to a custom application). Still, for some reason every time I get a kit I say to myself "Ooo! A kit! This will be a fun change of pace." And it somehow ends up being worse than custom fabrication.
A great segway into “honey I need a mill and a lathe to make the Jeep run” ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jamison C