How far are you getting on a full tank?

So you cant have the old jerry cans anymore or is it just in parks and forests?
You can use any type of gas can that was sold in California at any time, that means the old style cans are still okay. You just can't buy new ones of the old style at retail stores in California. Rumors of citations float around on the internet stinking up the place like turds that wont flush.

Apparently, in the San Bernardino NF, rangers where actively looking for and citing folks with non-compliant cans about 4yrs ago. How is that for nanny state. "If you see something, say something" has a whole different meaning here in kali.
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It was the same in Germany 80 years ago...

Reactions: B252 and WSS
You can use any type of gas can that was sold in California at any time, that means the old style cans are still okay. You just can't buy new ones of the old style at retail stores in California. Rumors of citations float around on the internet stinking up the place like turds that wont flush.
Mine was not rumors or internet driven. You must have CARB compliant cans in the NF, no matter when or where you bought them.

The cans are the least of it. CARB forced ca DMV to stop registering diesel vehicles with a GVW over 11k tier 1, 2 and 3 engines regardless of when. where or how they were purchased. If you kept the vehicle in the state, you had two options (one really) A) retro a tier 4 or 5 (tier 4 only good for 4yrs) or submit photos of holes cut in the block to render unusable. This started jan, 1 2020 and adds the next year manufactured truck/rv until 2011. So we have a few more years. Big politicians, big companies, big $$

I LOVE CALIFORNIA

Last edited:
So you cant have the old jerry cans anymore or is it just in parks and forests?
ANY place the California Air Recourse Board has jurisdiction. That includes your garage, garden shed, freeway, etc..

From 2009-2017, you were allowed to have non compliant if purchased before 09. Here is the 2017 amendment, it was pushed back and we did get a few exemptions but it stayed mostly intact but lawyers did hold it off for almost 5 years.

Attachments

• portablefuelcontainerregulationamendmentfactsheet.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: B252
CARB compliant cans in the NF
California Air Resources Board
National Forest
The Forest Service is under Federal rules and not CARB rules, I don't think their trucks even have to be CARB legal. You are mistaking CARB restrictions on commercial vehicles and items the average citizen uses. Anything sold in California that was legal at the time is still legal now. My 1960 Ford is still legal and so are WW2 era Jerry cans because they were bought or brought into the state legally. Same with a diesel truck owned by a resident, it does not have to meet current CARB standards unless it is used commercially. DMV stops registration of big commercial trucks only, pickups aren't included because CA recognizes that people have a right to keep and operate their personal vehicles. The rules are complicated but that doesn't mean they are impossible to understand and I don't mean to argue the point but it doesn't help anybody saying that gas cans are some sort of problem here, they aren't.

Reactions: Zorba
You can see every fill up I ever did since I bought the truck a year ago here:

1036969.png

First, its a bone stock 2006 Sport RHD with 30x9.5 tires. Second, its a daily driver doing commuting 5 days a week. I've noticed that my commuting milage is much worse than my traveling mileage, so much so that the app warns me when it thinks I missed a fill up because the milage increases so much--from ~13mpg average to 24mpg. You can also see, as Jerry mentioned, I usually put about 15 gallons in, meaning I still have something like 4 gallons in the tank.

Because of the variability, I'm still afraid to assume better milage when I'm on a trip since I travel alone (no one else to steal gas from), and I am far far from gas, cell service, or some stranger driving by.

Reactions: Fishtaco
California Air Resources Board
National Forest
The Forest Service is under Federal rules and not CARB rules, I don't think their trucks even have to be CARB legal. You are mistaking CARB restrictions on commercial vehicles and items the average citizen uses. Anything sold in California that was legal at the time is still legal now. My 1960 Ford is still legal and so are WW2 era Jerry cans because they were bought or brought into the state legally. Same with a diesel truck owned by a resident, it does not have to meet current CARB standards unless it is used commercially. DMV stops registration of big commercial trucks only, pickups aren't included because CA recognizes that people have a right to keep and operate their personal vehicles. The rules are complicated but that doesn't mean they are impossible to understand and I don't mean to argue the point but it doesn't help anybody saying that gas cans are some sort of problem here, they aren't.
Must have been a dream when I had to total my 03. I consider myself to be an average citizen/subject as are many of my friends who have lost their 11k+ gvw diesels. Your 1960 ford must be under 11k gvw and not a diesel.

Has nothing to do with the type of registration. This was very frustrating for MANY california businesses, My F550 belonged to myself and my wife, we leased it to our company, they closed that loophole too!! Even a landscaper with one truck had to get rid of his. There were loopholes that got closed right at the end. For instance, if you had a toilet on it, it would be exempt, but they actually included class 3 RV's in the sweep right at the end, literally about two weeks after our lawyer team lost.

If CARB has jurisdiction, they enforce the rules no matter where it is. They are a very powerful agency with no checks or balances. I know for sure tier 3 and under diesels on equipment are not allowed in any CARB regulated forest (like SB NF). Most of the grinders that ground the bark beetle killed trees could only log 50hrs and had to be moved out of the state after that. Used to have a 50hp and under exemption, but think that is gone too.

cat convertors are the same thing, only carb approved (or dues paid) cats are allowed in carb jurisdiction. They are all the same, just one has the seal of approval, which cost a bunch of money.

You can see every fill up I ever did since I bought the truck a year ago here:

1036969.png

First, its a bone stock 2006 Sport RHD with 30x9.5 tires. Second, its a daily driver doing commuting 5 days a week. I've noticed that my commuting milage is much worse than my traveling mileage, so much so that the app warns me when it thinks I missed a fill up because the milage increases so much--from ~13mpg average to 24mpg. You can also see, as Jerry mentioned, I usually put about 15 gallons in, meaning I still have something like 4 gallons in the tank.

Because of the variability, I'm still afraid to assume better milage when I'm on a trip since I travel alone (no one else to steal gas from), and I am far far from gas, cell service, or some stranger driving by.

If CARB has jurisdiction, they enforce the rules no matter where it is. They are a very powerful agency with no checks or balances.
It definitely sucks for companies doing business here compared to other areas. No arguing that, thanks Ronald Regan (he did sign it into law but ya, meant as a joke).

You can get 16-19 easy with your setup. 13 is low. Drive it however you want but if you are regularly getting 13 you ain't driving for efficiency.

I think his +3mpg claim is with the 42RLE, before and after regearing. So he's talking about a 42RLE with 3.73 or 4.1 gears, vs a 42RLE with 5.38 gears. Not that he got +3 between a 3.73 32RH and a 5.38 42RLE.
Thanks, That makes sense, I guess I was confusing the relationship of the two Jeeps.

~245 miles on 17 gallons, all around.
4 liter, 6 speed, 31.7" tires, 4.56 gears

17 gallons is the limit of red mark on fuel gauge, and where my OBD computer can consistently determine that i am out of fuel. Thus all my fill ups end up in 16.5-17.5 range. Successfully getting all 19 gallons out my tank have proven to be 100% unsuccessful, attempted 4 times - ended up on the side of the road 4 times.

55 mph seems to be a cut off as far as getting the most out of the tank. That is when i see number above 250 miles.
At 65, 70 or 75 there is no measurable difference, have tested it on multiple road trips.

Interestingly, i drive more efficient than cruise control, for what ever reason my foot speed fluctuation of 5-7 mph is more efficient than CCs 2 mph fluctuation.

14 mpg when I do the math at the pump. So about 250 is what I keep in mind as my range.
The fuel gage is marginally correct so got to have the Jerry can as back up!
4.5 in lift, “35’s”, 4.10, six speed manual

Reactions: Fishtaco
So, from the post here, our TJ’s will shut off before the tank is empty. Is this from the computer or is it a pick up problem?

Another Fuelly fan here. Only as good as the info your odometer reports so if you haven't changed the speedo gear Fuelly data will be off.

Best mpg is 15.1. Average is 13.8.

About 200 - 220 miles
33 x 12.5 @ 28psi
NV3550
Original speedo
about 65% of my driving is highway.

Sucky pipe is too short to get the dregs lol :)
That figures. All the good stuff is on the bottom, flakes of dirt, rubber like compounds from the nozzle, stuff the neighbor kid put in there, etc. How are we supposed to get rid of all that stuff?

The pump turns off once the Jeep starves for fuel and the engine dies, not before, so it doesn't sit there running dry. I think that's what people are saying or trying to. The pickup is spring loaded and pressed on the bottom of the tank. The screen prevents it from sucking up everything just because of how it's made but it gets pretty darn close. When I've pulled my tank there was a little bit of sand and crap down there that I wiped up with a paper towel. I drove it until the needle was just past the "E" so it was almost empty.

Reactions: WSS
The TJ fuel pump should be able to suck the tank pretty much dry. The pressure regulator is right above the pump and dumps excess fuel straight back into the reservoir surrounding the pump, so the pump should be submerged in gasoline pretty much until the tank is empty. I haven't tested it yet, most I've ever put in was 17.5 gallons

Reactions: pagrey
How many are going strictly by their gas gauge? If so, they are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate and will tell you your tank is near empty when, commonly, there's still 4-5 gallons left. Even my low fuel light comes on when mine still has 3-4 gallons left.

Calculate the highway mpg by dividing the miles driven by how many gallons it took to refill it. Then multiply that mpg by 19 to find out the range highway.
yes mileage over range,what driving style etc... at first i was pissed at the early warning but now its like oh yeah,i can still bust ass for 48 miles...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford