How far can a 4.0 go?

My Rubi brochure, talks about engine "200,000 miles durability", never seen this is manufacturers literature, 250-300k not unusual with proper care and feeding

My Sahara has 153k-ish and sounds like a diesel when first started with plenty of piston slap. It quiets down when it gets warm. It may keep running or it may blow up, I dunno. If it blows its getting a hemi.

My Apex I bought with a blown motor and a 32rh auto trans that is pouring fluid out all over the place at 200k miles. I have no idea how it was previously taken care of, but the motor popped something. I haven't pulled it apart yet to find out what.

There's a thread here somewhere about how many miles are on one's jeep with many over 200k.

Have to say me and my TJ are getting to be friends. I stared using Lucas fuel additive and did about four tanks of that through it. I have now ran two tanks with Marvel in the gas.
Careful, Marvel Oil in Gas with Catalytic conv, can clog cats. I've been using Marvel for 45 years, back in the day we put it in the tank. But it's an Oil and any oil kills Cats. Dead Cat Bounce :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: HDRider
You can stop using all those additives, especially so much of them, they're really of no benefit. They're just big profit-makers for their manufacturers and retailers. Not to mention the EPA requires ALL US gasolines to contain adequate fuel cleaning additives to keep the fuel system clean. That wasn't always true, we needed fuel injector cleaners up until the mid-eighties when the EPA started mandating them in ALL US gasolines. Not just Tier One gasolines, all of them.

That’s right! ALL grades of gasoline from ALL manufacturers contains EXACTLY the same concentration of detergent additives which is 7 gallons of additive per 1,000 barrels of gasoline (42 gallons per barrel).
Honestly, no brand of gasoline is any better than another. In fact, manufacturers routinely buy from other manufacturers to meet shortfalls in production or to save in shipping costs.

298K miles on my '04 4.0. I don't get quite as good of mileage as I used to, but I've never had to add oil between oil changes.

Last edited:
I sold my XJ with 297k on the clock. Motor was still super strong and clean as a whistle.
This was 6 years ago and I still see it buzzing around town every now and again