How far does you front bumper extend from the grill?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
The question @toximus asked about offset has me curious about another measurement. That said, I'm curious how far out your front bumper sticks from the grill. I'm looking for two measurements here:

1. From the bottom of the grill to the out most edge of the bumper
2. If you have shackle mounts on the bumper, from the bottom of the grill to the end of the shackle mount

Also, state what bumper you are running.

Here's what I have now

UCF ultra clearance:
#1 = 10 1/4"
#2 = 12 7/16"

BFKa181.jpg

HSoZdxr.jpg

Last edited:
JJVW had a similar thread as this where he compared grill to bumper bolts. There wasn't much variation. So anything you're seeing here is purely the bumper depth.

Reactions: jjvw
JJVW had a similar thread as this where he compared grill to bumper bolts. There wasn't much variation. So anything you're seeing here is purely the bumper depth.
I searched, but no luck.

I looked through this and it doesn't answer my question directly. I'm really looking at what the variances are in different bumpers improving approach angle. I'm sure the numbers are small, but real data helps.

Motobilt Stubby heavily modified
20190810_220816.jpg

Might be a Rugged Ridge also modified
20190810_220928.jpg

Reactions: Irun
Motobilt Stubby heavily modified
View attachment 212065

Might be a Rugged Ridge also modified
View attachment 212074
This is helpful. Most importantly, it makes me wonder about strength in supporting the winch. It looks like one of you modifications was the addition of additional frame anchor points, using the stock front sway bar bolt holes.

The UCF bumper I have skips use of the outer most factory bolt hole, because that's where the hoop sits. They use the second factory bolt hole, along with the outer most sway bar bolt. Off course the bottom bolt is used, resulting in three bolts per side. Two up top, along with one on the bottom. Now I'm questioning the strength there. :cautious:

This is helpful. Most importantly, it makes me wonder about strength in supporting the winch. It looks like one of you modifications was the addition of additional frame anchor points, using the stock front sway bar bolt holes.

The UCF bumper I have skips use of the outer most factory bolt hole, because that's where the hoop sits. They use the second factory bolt hole, along with the outer most sway bar bolt. Off course the bottom bolt is used, resulting in three bolts per side. Two up top, along with one on the bottom. Now I'm questioning the strength there. :cautious:

On mine, I copied everything I could from the Savvy bumper.

Warn

10 3/8”
12”

Seems like if you're interested in how this affects approach angle, you need more than what you're getting. if the bumper is square vs sloped for example, the distance at the bottom of the bumper vs the top (or height of furthest point relative to bottom of bumper/frame) could change your approach angle as well as the measurement of the bottom of the bumper vs say the bottom of the frame where it mounts... if your bumper protrudes below that, you're losing approach angle again.

Seems like if you're interested in how this affects approach angle, you need more than what you're getting. if the bumper is square vs sloped for example, the distance at the bottom of the bumper vs the top (or height of furthest point relative to bottom of bumper/frame) could change your approach angle as well as the measurement of the bottom of the bumper vs say the bottom of the frame where it mounts... if your bumper protrudes below that, you're losing approach angle again.
Agreed. The well made bumpers are likely going have some sort of slope in the front. Possibly on the sides as well. What I'm really trying to validate here is a hypothesis that the majority of the outer most measurements, of the bumper itself, are going to be within a 1/2". Short of trimming the frame, there isn't much that can be done to change this. Based on what I'm seeing thus far, that seems to be the case.

When a vendor says they're bumper will "gain you inches of clearance on your approach", now I have data to ask them exactly how they're doing that. It's more of a curiosity than anything else! FWIW, here's how the bumper I currently have is cut and tucked up against the frame.

NH7hzz7.jpg

dd4Fo2Z.jpg

Nemesis Crawler. I have yet to hit anything with this bumper other than a random tree stump.
11 3/4" to the Winch Bracket
13" to the edge of the Flat Link
Or about 16" if we are trying for the longest ;)

W3.jpg

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

• Love
Warn Rock Crawler Stubby. 10" to front upper edge of bumper, 11" to end of shackle mount. The front face of the bumper slopes forward...the bottom edge seems to sit back about an inch from the front.

IMG_20201221_131635.jpg

and yes, I went to the garage in my socks.

Sorry I forgot to get the fairlead and shackle measurements. I'll try to grab them later.

IMG_20201107_235514.jpg

• Love
Agreed. The well made bumpers are likely going have some sort of slope in the front. Possibly on the sides as well. What I'm really trying to validate here is a hypothesis that the majority of the outer most measurements, of the bumper itself, are going to be within a 1/2". Short of trimming the frame, there isn't much that can be done to change this. Based on what I'm seeing thus far, that seems to be the case.

When a vendor says they're bumper will "gain you inches of clearance on your approach", now I have data to ask them exactly how they're doing that. It's more of a curiosity than anything else! FWIW, here's how the bumper I currently have is cut and tucked up against the frame.

View attachment 212170
View attachment 212171

The face of my old square tube bumper sat about 3" in front of the end of the frame rails. Then the recovery tabs stuck another 2-3" past that. I suspect that is what these high clearance bumper companies are comparing to.

Reactions: Irun and DaveF
Aluminum version of UCF Ultra High Clearance.
9.5" to edge of bumper.
9.75" to edge of winch plate

No shackle tabs. Hawse is the only thing that sticks out.

PXL_20201221_224956459.jpg

PXL_20201221_230754788.jpg