How far is too far for OEM parts?

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I understand the necessity to keep certain things factory. For example, my 02 Tundra with 87k miles just had fan clutch failure where it’s stuck wide open. They Hayden part which is what is recommended here is $50 give or take. The Aisin one from Toyota is $170 give or take.

Is that justifiable? Or am I good to go with the USA made Hayden and call it a day?

I don't think I've ever bought OEM truck parts.
But there are no dealerships of any brand anywhere close to me either.
I'd go aftermarket and not even think twice about it.

I used to buy the "high Value" aftermarket and still do. Not the cheapest, but not OEM either. Lately, for stuff that can fail without warning, I've been trying to pony up for OEM. There is a reason that its expensive, and its not just markup. They go through a LOT of testing to make sure that part is going to work. Don't always get it right, but by and large, the OEM is better.

If you can find out the OEM supplier, and buy it by their part number vs the OEM p/n, you can sometime get the same part for a lot less money.

Reactions: Squatch and Irun
My first thoughts are stay away from chinese crap but I did wonder where Hayden parts are made and found this: Hayden Overview.

Well it's not quite USA but Mexico is far better than china so I'd probably go for it.

Now I gotta check to see if they make the throttle body for a 2005 5.7 hemi.

Dammit, they don't

I understand the necessity to keep certain things factory. For example, my 02 Tundra with 87k miles just had fan clutch failure where it’s stuck wide open. They Hayden part which is what is recommended here is $50 give or take. The Aisin one from Toyota is $170 give or take.

Is that justifiable? Or am I good to go with the USA made Hayden and call it a day?

Be prepared for some forum members to jump on you for not going for the most expensive part.

I committed the mortal sin of buying a $80 dollar battery instead of paying $229 the parts guy tried to say was the only battery he had.

For Toyota parts always contact me first! I may or may not be able able to help but I can always share 35 years of Toyota factory experience and unbiased advice.

Maybe not the perfect question for starters, but I've always wanted to ask someone that worked at Toyota. Two questions for you -

What's the real reason why we can't get the 70 series SUVs and trucks here?

If you were to recommend an older Toyota SUV for general use (people carrier, light TS roads, road trips), is there a specific model/specific years that stand out to you?

• Haha
Reactions: Mike_H
Maybe not the perfect question for starters, but I've always wanted to ask someone that worked at Toyota. Two questions for you -

What's the real reason why we can't get the 70 series SUVs and trucks here?

If you were to recommend an older Toyota SUV for general use (people carrier, light TS roads, road trips), is there a specific model/specific years that stand out to you?

Gen 3 4Runner, 3.4 V6 , automatic. You can buy them at a good price. Power to weight ratio is very good. Super reliable and very capable off road. Lots of room for people and cargo. Replacement parts and aftermarket parts availability is strong. Land cruisers are awesome but $$$.

Gen 3 4Runner, 3.4 V6 , automatic. You can buy them at a good price. Power to weight ratio is very good. Super reliable and very capable off road. Lots of room for people and cargo. Replacement parts and aftermarket parts availability is strong. Land cruisers are awesome but $$$.

Thank you.

Federal motor vehicle safety specifications. A lot of vehicles don’t meet the US standards so they can’t be imported. Just like a lot of vehicles in the US don’t get exported. Different rules require different product design.

Have to get one that’s at least 25 years old.

Federal motor vehicle safety specifications. A lot of vehicles don’t meet the US standards so they can’t be imported. Just like a lot of vehicles in the US don’t get exported. Different rules require different product design.

I know Mike, I'm simply wondering which specifications would be broken. I know whatever we discuss will always be speculation ... But I have a feeling that it is partly a beancounter decision to not want to make the necessary changes to bring those trucks here, since they don't see the demand. And that's always a catch 22. Also probably they see self competition with the Tacoma/4runner. It's complicated 🫤

If you can find out the OEM supplier, and buy it by their part number vs the OEM p/n, you can sometime get the same part for a lot less money.

I found doing that to be relatively easy with BMWs. Saved literally hundreds getting a Mini roadworthy with OEM parts that were half the price (still 2-3x the generic part) just because the box didn't say "genuine mini" all over it. Haven't had the same success finding such parts for the Jeep.

For Toyota parts always contact me first! I may or may not be able able to help but I can always share 35 years of Toyota factory experience and unbiased advice.

Thanks M I totally forgot that you worked in parts! Per @Mike_H advice I ended up finding an open box one directly from Aisin for $100 so I can live with that.

Turns out the failing one has been spewing oil over my once-spotless engine so that kind of breaks my heart :/ Gonna take a few good washes to get rid of it all.