How fast should you be able to go?

You certainly have a greater tolerance for noise I do :) 60-65mph is tops for me noise wise
One time, on a long trip, I tried some ear plugs.
Amazing how much faster I caught myself driving when I couldn't hear the driveline.
That's also when you realize the Jeep doesn't mind the higher RPMs.

Newer BMWs read about 2mph fast on the gauge, including the digital readout, by design.
I have read somewhere that this is done on many vehicles by design. Explains why I set the cruise control and slowly overtake a lot of traffic. They just think they're going {insert speed limit here}, whereas I know I am!

Generally I think manufacturers calibrate the speedometer with brand new tires at very high tire pressure. That way when tires wear and pressures drop the speedometer drifts higher. The driver then feels the speedometer always just reads high. If they pick some arbitrary mid-point the speeds indicated will drift from low, spot on and then high as pressures change and tires wear. This might make the consumer label the speedometer quirky and unreliable and they don't want that.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Generally I think manufacturers calibrate the speedometer with brand new tires at very high tire pressure. That way when tires wear and pressures drop the speedometer drifts higher. The driver then feels the speedometer always just reads high. If they pick some arbitrary mid-point the speeds indicated will drift from low, spot on and then high as pressures change and tires wear. This might make the consumer label the speedometer quirky and unreliable and they don't want that.

Personally, I don't think it even goes that far. I think they make their calculations with a computer. 30" tire, 3.73 gears, .072 gear in tranny equals such and such gearing in speedo.
We all know a 30" tire isn't really 30", so there's at least one built in error right there.

My stock '03 that came with the 30" tire package was always off according to the GPS...until I put 31" tires (which are probably not really 31") on it. Now it's pretty much right on the money.

Reactions: pagrey

that would explain a difference over time but there are still manufacturers that use one figure for the ECM (and odometer) and a different value for the speedometer.

To answer the original question, I don't think anyone driving a Jeep CJ, YJ, or TJ *should* go much faster than about 70. Given the shape and dynamics of these vehicles, I just don't think it is very smart to driver faster than that.

Stay in the right lane and let the speedsters take a good look at your Jeep with envy as they go around you and break the law by going over the speed limit.

Reactions: Zorba
To answer the original question, I don't think anyone driving a Jeep CJ, YJ, or TJ *should* go much faster than about 70. Given the shape and dynamics of these vehicles, I just don't think it is very smart to driver faster than that.

Stay in the right lane and let the speedsters take a good look at your Jeep with envy as they go around you and break the law by going over the speed limit.

I'd feel ok in a stock TJ at 90. But throw a twisty sway bar and some balloony tires on it, then raise the center of gravity by 7" and it doesn't feel so solid.

Reactions: Tytanium94

A thought keeps coming to mind when someone is tailgating me, " I don't have to turn around when the pavement ends."

• Love
Reactions: WSS and RMETeeJay
A side note..
The fastest I've ever driven anything was in my Charger pursuit.
The Low 150's

The fastest I've ever ridden was in a BMW M5
158 mph

Someday I'll break 160 mph

damn it!!!!! 😎
204 on a busa 85 in my tj but the tcase grenaded bolt broke on rear yoke and threw the drive shaft after it took out both upper control arms when it hit the tub it sounded like a shotgun going off

speed limits reach 80 here in eastern Idaho and Wyoming, I hardly notice the difference between 70 and 80 mph in the jeep, but i also have sound deadening in the tub and hardtop, 30s and no lift. so it doesn't blow around a ton unless I hit heavy wind. then I'm down to 65 mph tops.

speed limits reach 80 here in eastern Idaho and Wyoming, I hardly notice the difference between 70 and 80 mph in the jeep, but i also have sound deadening in the tub and hardtop, 30s and no lift. so it doesn't blow around a ton unless I hit heavy wind. then I'm down to 65 mph tops.

80 is the speed LIMIT.

You do not have to go all the way to the limit. 70 mph is fast enough in a short wheelbase Jeep.

The only time my TJ has done 70 is on the trailer. My 4.56/35's/rh32 combo would have the 4.0 screaming more than I "want" it to.

I set the cruise at "79" regularly and it's completely fine on 33s. I think everybody's setup is going to be different with lifts, tires, alignment, etc. With 30's and no lift it felt fine at 90 but I had no good reason to go faster. I believe the factory governor is 95 which I have tickled just to see.

80 is the speed LIMIT.

You do not have to go all the way to the limit. 70 mph is fast enough in a short wheelbase Jeep.

80 is the limit which means traffic is doing 85-90. What's more dangerous, a TJ doing 75-80 or a 20mph differential between vehicles separated by a line of paint and driven by people while they're scrolling their social media feed?

80 is the limit which means traffic is doing 85-90. What's more dangerous, a TJ doing 75-80 or a 20mph differential between vehicles separated by a line of paint and driven by people while they're scrolling their social media feed?

My advice would be to just stay in the right lane and go a little under the posted speed limit.

I think you would be safer and have more control over your Jeep if you were going 20 mph slower than the idiot who is doing 85 - 90 while they are scrolling their social media feed.