How fast should you be able to go?

Very honest question. Do you wear ear plugs? Doesn't the noise (road+engine) bother you, irrespective of which top you have on at those speeds?
No top on at those speeds, never have a top on the jeep... it’s music to my ears!!! I think it’s the best part of owning a jeep.

Some of it depends on the vehicle and perceptions of the other drivers.
I completely agree.

I used to have two personal watercraft. "Real" boaters would always think we were going too fast.

I also used to ride my bicycle long distance and when returning home on my narrow street taking a full lane with a 15 mph limit if I was doing 22-23 most vehicle drivers thought I was going too slow.

My brother (bit of a mad man as you will see) went 92 in his 2000 Sahara down I-95. He is mostly stock except for a 1.5 inch lift; honestly thought the engine would have a speed cap a bit lower than that lol, no way that's safe.

Reactions: Blondie70
I got mine up to 85 on the highway and the ride was smooth, but my tires need to be replaced so I was feeling really nervous about the prospect of having to hit the brakes in I-75 traffic. I feel most comfortable around 70-75, but I tend to look for routes that don't include highways just for the fun of going for a drive.

My point was that you won't be run off the road if you go slower. The speed limit in CA for any semi or vehicle towing a trailer is 55. I have towed thousands of miles on CA roads at 20-30 mph slower than the rest of the freeway traffic and not once have I been run off the road.
We have a number of production plants (industrial gases) in Cali, both in SoCal (Torrance, Carson, El Segundo, and City of Industry) and the NorCal areas (Richmond/Sacramento/Keyes). When I was running HSE (Health, Safety & Environmental) support for the Western Region, we had on average one incident per month when a vehicle came up too fast behind us and either 1) ran right into us 2) realized how slow they were going (55 mph max) and quickly swerved around us, hitting a car on whatever side they were passing on 3) same as #2 but instead of hitting the car in the new lane, they ran into the vaporizors on the trailer.

It's good to see I'm not the only one. I tell people all the time of your rig can't do 90 with a reasonable feeling of safety there is something wrong with it. It is NOT a Jeep thing.
100% agreed - I just got done talking with my bud about this. I even took a video just for him...

Note how I'm steadily following traffic at 80 mph and the car in the left lane passes me like I'm doing 50!

You certainly have a greater tolerance for noise I do :) 60-65mph is tops for me noise wise (on 1hr+ drives) esp with this winter's soft top/half doors experiment. Hard top .. even with the headliner is not dramatically quieter.

Other than the slightly more cabin noise, I am surprisingly OK with the soft top and bestop sliders so far this winter. No leaks, no issues with cabin heat. Only thing I really wish for is clear windows in rear and back, but I have the same complaint about the tinted hard top windows too.

Reactions: jjvw
I think the people who complain about Jeep soft top and tire noise either aren't really Jeep people or are just ...............(pic inserted and it's not the woman)
p.s. My wife wanted Kenda Klever MT tires on her Jeep because she loved the "loud roar" of the tires while driving. They are some of the loudest tires (brand new) I have ever heard. They are an extremely hard rubber compound and last forever. They sounded like my brother's old CJ CO-OP 38s. I could hear him coming 3 miles away.

Giant cat (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
I think the people who complain about Jeep soft top and tire noise either aren't really Jeep people or are just ...............(pic inserted and it's not the woman)
p.s. My wife wanted Kenda Klever MT tires on her Jeep because she loved the "loud roar" of the tires while driving. They are some of the loudest tires (brand new) I have ever heard.View attachment 215580

Cats are badass - athletic, playful, cuddly, deadly all at once. I have two at home and I love 'em .. if I get reincarnated, I want to be born as a feline in my next life :)

Noise tolerance is a very personal thing, just like spicy food. Yes you can "train" yourself to tolerate more, but there will be a upper limit at any given time. There is nothing less manly saying a jeep is noisy, because it *is* noisy. But we take it in stride given the other benefits. I do like jeeps and would not have bought one and built it up if I did not want to keep it longterm. You can be a "jeep person" and dislike noise at the same time. It's OK :)

FYI - I used to ride a motorcycle back in India when I was younger. Did not care about noise one bit back then.

Cats are badass - athletic, playful, cuddly, deadly all at once. I have two at home and I love 'em .. if I get reincarnated, I want to be born as a feline in my next life :)

Noise tolerance is a very personal thing, just like spicy food. Yes you can "train" yourself to tolerate more, but there will be a upper limit at any given time. There is nothing less manly saying a jeep is noisy, because it *is* noisy. But we take it in stride given the other benefits. I do like jeeps and would not have bought one and built it up if I did not want to keep it longterm. You can be a "jeep person" and dislike noise at the same time. It's OK :)

FYI - I used to ride a motorcycle back in India when I was younger. Did not care about noise one bit back then.
People get awfully boomer-y when it comes to creature comforts and preferences. I've always laughed at the irony when the same people who say stuff like "the only real Jeeps are the ones with manual transmission!" are the same ones who get their panties in a bunch when teenagers have long hair :LOL:

Speaking of scooters, when I was riding motorcycles all over I often wore ear plugs on long trips. I got a lot of laughs and eye rolls but made sure to point out how many times people in my riding group would yell "WHAT??" to the person sitting next to them after a few hours on the road. I would also point out to them that I've got over 100,000 miles in the seat of a Harley, whereas they're on their 4th bike with barely 2000 miles :ROFLMAO:

People get awfully boomer-y when it comes to creature comforts and preferences. I've always laughed at the irony when the same people who say stuff like "the only real Jeeps are the ones with manual transmission!" are the same ones who get their panties in a bunch when teenagers have long hair :LOL:

Speaking of scooters, when I was riding motorcycles all over I often wore ear plugs on long trips. I got a lot of laughs and eye rolls but made sure to point out how many times people in my riding group would yell "WHAT??" to the person sitting next to them after a few hours on the road. I would also point out to them that I've got over 100,000 miles in the seat of a Harley, whereas they're on their 4th bike with barely 2000 miles :ROFLMAO:

LOL, yup.

Cabin noise certainly adds to the overall fatigue we feel on long trips. Prolonged exposure to elevated noise levels (even if it under damage inducing levels each time) definitely contributes to hearing loss over long timeframes. Don't care what others say, I like jeeps and I will still maintain that TJs are noisy vehicles esp the way we build them.

Reactions: pc1p
LOL, yup.

Cabin noise certainly adds to the overall fatigue we feel on long trips. Prolonged exposure to elevated noise levels (even if it under damage inducing levels each time) definitely contributes to hearing loss over long timeframes. Don't care what others say, I like jeeps and I will still maintain that TJs are noisy vehicles esp the way we build them.
I spent like $80k to make my Jeep quieter and more comfortable on long drives (think Truck/Trailer) :)

Last edited:
I rode my 32 rh 140 kmh when there was no wind, our country is very windy. Mercedes benz sprinters packed up with people rode faster than that i felt miserable.👩‍🦼

• Haha
Reactions: L J
LOL, yup.

I've noticed that my TJ Rubicon has gotten a little quieter each year over the 18 years I've owned it...🤷‍♂️

In 1980 I had a 1100cc Yamaha XS11 Special. A buddy had one as well we were at an event and coming back home. He has a date with him. We were cooking down some asphault backroads full throttle. We got back to town in line a a local taco joint. I told my buddy something funny with my bike it didn't want to give me the last 500 rpm.

She said what does that mean. I said well the bike didn't wanna go past 135.

She was shocked. "WHAT?". She had looked over buddies shoulder and saw 85 mph. It was pegged at government mandated 85mph upper range.

We were going 135 felt like 85 if that.

My TJ is all squared away. It will go vibration free and straight down teh freeway. At 85 it feels like you are going 135 lol.

I say my Jeep has a Vne of 70. Decent fuel economy and some room to maneuver. It is afer all an 18yo vehicle. And its not a high speed sports car.

YMMV!

Especially if you are going 85 down the road!

Reactions: Blondie70