How hard is it to install and adjust Savvy control arms?

Ol Blue

TJ Enthusiast
So... how hard is it to install the control arms and adjust correctly ? I called a shop earlier today and they quoted me $345 ? Should I take the easy way out and pay or..... man up ?

So... how hard is it to install the control arms and adjust correctly ? I called a shop earlier today and they quoted me $345 ? Should I take the easy way out and pay or..... man up ?
There not hard at all I put my Savvy arms on without any issues
There is a thread on here that gives real simple directions on how to set them up and tighten them up correct by the man that knows them best. Just follow Blaines simple directions and you will be in business.

Reactions: Ol Blue
FYI I purchased the control arms not knowing what step I want to go next. Drop money on the sye tummy tuck or keep saving for an atlas ? Either way I’ll need control arms... I’m bummed the savvy tt is no longer an option

That’s what I’m thinking Chris, but it’s the whole mind set can I do it ? I’ve installed front axle shafts,rear springs and the anti rock ? I’m sure it’s something simple for someone that’s knows what there doing.

That’s what I’m thinking Chris, but it’s the whole mind set can I do it ? I’ve installed front axle shafts,rear springs and the anti rock ? I’m sure it’s something simple for someone that’s knows what there doing.

It's just a process. The movements start to make sense pretty quickly. Chances are good that you might do a better job than a shop might.

Reactions: 707kevin and StG58
So do you or not have the SYE installed yet? You cannot adjust the arms to something that isn't there yet. You need them both together.

So do you or not have the SYE installed yet? You cannot adjust the arms to something that isn't there yet. You need them both together.

Adjustables can still be used to adjust a single cardan drive shaft

Reactions: jazngab
Adjustables can still be used to adjust a single cardan drive shaft
Yeah, I doubt I'd install them and adjust them though, when that isn't their final purpose, but you certainly could.

I thought about that when a lift raises the pinion on a standard shaft when you don't want it actually raised, but I'm just going to install adjustable arms, and set them once when I get my SYE.

Reactions: JMT
It is a process. One that is defined by understanding the goal and thinking through the steps to achieve it. The hardest part for the less experienced is understanding what you are trying to achieve and the easiest way to get there. Centering the rear is fairly straight forward, the front is a bit harder and if you don't fully understand that the springs are on the front side of the axle tube and put the upper arms in tension, it gets a bit harder. The good news is you don't need to pull the arms to make adjustments so that easily cuts the head scratching and work time in half.

So I ended up getting the control arms installed today. I’m experiencing a bad vibration while accelerating. This was not in issue prior to the install ?
9A8764CD-E360-427E-BE55-66A183D38CF8.jpeg

Noticed my shock body was also super close to my coil bucket ?
29C9C1B9-924E-49DD-802E-188456E80847.jpeg

So I ended up getting the control arms installed today. I’m experiencing a bad vibration while accelerating. This was not in issue prior to the install ? View attachment 123715
Noticed my shock body was also super close to my coil bucket ? View attachment 123716

That pinion is pretty far off of what you want for a 2 joint drive shaft. You only aim it to the output at the TC with a DC shaft.

1573019253040.gif

Here’s some good reading in it: http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp

Reactions: JMT
That pinion angle looks way out of whack for a standard drive shaft. The pinion should be closer to level than pointing up. Now with the SYE, that wouldn't be the case.

That’s how the shop had it when I picked it up this evening. Plan on taking it back in the am. It’s set as if I had a cv correct ?
Yes, it’s set up as if you had a CV (DC), but you don’t.