Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

How hard is it to replace a 42RLE automatic transmission?

Mikee024

In a long distance relationship
Supporting Member
Get a set of E-torx sockets.

My E-torx sockets have been sitting dormant for over 10 years without ever being used.

Will this kit work for removing/replacing the 42RLE?

Kit includes: E4–E12, E14, E16, and E18

E10 and smaller are 1/4” drive and the others are 3/8” drive.

48CCEC34-A553-4E53-9828-FDB4E9CEFD38.jpeg

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
My E-torx sockets have been sitting dormant for over 10 years without ever being used.

Will this kit work for removing/replacing the 42RLE?

Kit includes: E4–E12, E14, E16, and E18

E10 and smaller are 1/4” drive and the others are 3/8” drive.

View attachment 334779

Someone can correct me but I thought the size is E15. I don't recall since I don't look at the size, I just take the rack under there and use the one that fits.

Reactions: Mikee024

Mikee024

Supporting Member
E12 is the important one (top of engine).

Great news bc I had trouble locating an E15 online and haven’t dropped underneath yet to verify with my kit (still a little sore from knee surgery last week).

Super helpful and much appreciated. 🍻

Last edited:

Terry from Texas

Supporting Member
To be truthful I have been a professional technician since 1983 so what is easy for me is not necessary easy for you. All these folks have given great advice and the job while being on the hard side for the amateur is completely doable and I think worth doing yourself if you have the tools and technical ability to do so. One thing I would recommend is to make sure you completely seat your torque converter. Take your time with it and you will be fine.

Reactions: Mikee024
OP
explorerlyon

explorerlyon

Supporting Member
Since this has been bumped I thought I'd ask @explorerlyon , what happened, did you do the job?

I had a local transmission shop do the work. They replaced the torque converter and rebuilt the pump. No issues since with another 20K miles. If I have any future issue, i think I will just buy a rebuilt and swap it myself. Since making the original post, I have done a lot of work fixing up a couple older BMWs and just about anything on the jeep seems very easy in comparison now.

Reactions: pagrey and Mikee024

Mikee024

Supporting Member
Sounds like it wasn't too bad. You aren't kidding about how easy it is to work on our rigs compared to other vehicles, especially older BMWs.

Absolutely!

It’s wonderful working on these after years of modifying/maintaining other vehicles and especially compared to pain in the ass jobs on F-14 Tomcats (bc decades of quick fixes to get a jet up in the air made for a troubleshooting nightmare on the avionics).

Mikee024

Supporting Member
Navy or contractor? Went to Pima a few years ago and was surprised to find they were all retired. I've seen a few of them in my time, they are huge. Obviously with the movie everybody has them on their radar.

Navy from 2000 to 2005.

Worked on Tomcats for roughly three years and then supervised our AT shop after we switched to super hornets. (VF-154 became VFA-154). Got out after spending 7 months of 2005 on the water (USS Carl Vinson).

I think the last tomcat squadron was decommissioned around 2006.

My ex's dad came down for law school graduation a few weeks ago... I skipped graduation to take the jeep out and then we went to the air and space museum up the road. I got to see the SR-71 for the first time and my god was that awesome to see.

Sadly, they aren't doing boneyard tours anymore. I asked a museum worker why and she said that the AF used to let the museum do tours (without it being profitable to the museum). Covid killed the tours in the short term, but the AF refused to re-contract with the museum again bc the museum wanted to get a little profit for their efforts and the AF said no. She said that the AF doesn't want to deal with tours but was willing to make money if the museum did the work for next to free. Kinda shitty and not surprising. I wanted to see the boneyard again bc I worked there for roughly two months back in 2002/2003 to build up three stored tomcats for the fleet. (that was a fun trip).

Ok sorry for all that off-topic info.

Reactions: Apparition

Mikee024

Supporting Member
Holy crap those are expensive... Might as well buy a lift!

I’ve been surviving with two sets of these for years. Sometimes use them as stands when wrenching in the engine bay.

Some day I will settle down long enough to justify getting a lift. 😊