How hard is it to replace a 42RLE automatic transmission?

Get a set of E-torx sockets.

My E-torx sockets have been sitting dormant for over 10 years without ever being used.

Will this kit work for removing/replacing the 42RLE?

Kit includes: E4–E12, E14, E16, and E18

E10 and smaller are 1/4” drive and the others are 3/8” drive.

48CCEC34-A553-4E53-9828-FDB4E9CEFD38.jpeg

My E-torx sockets have been sitting dormant for over 10 years without ever being used.

Will this kit work for removing/replacing the 42RLE?

Kit includes: E4–E12, E14, E16, and E18

E10 and smaller are 1/4” drive and the others are 3/8” drive.

View attachment 334779

Someone can correct me but I thought the size is E15. I don't recall since I don't look at the size, I just take the rack under there and use the one that fits.

Reactions: MikeE024
E12 is the important one (top of engine).

Great news bc I had trouble locating an E15 online and haven’t dropped underneath yet to verify with my kit (still a little sore from knee surgery last week).

Super helpful and much appreciated. 🍻

Last edited:
To be truthful I have been a professional technician since 1983 so what is easy for me is not necessary easy for you. All these folks have given great advice and the job while being on the hard side for the amateur is completely doable and I think worth doing yourself if you have the tools and technical ability to do so. One thing I would recommend is to make sure you completely seat your torque converter. Take your time with it and you will be fine.

Since this has been bumped I thought I'd ask @explorerlyon , what happened, did you do the job?

I had a local transmission shop do the work. They replaced the torque converter and rebuilt the pump. No issues since with another 20K miles. If I have any future issue, i think I will just buy a rebuilt and swap it myself. Since making the original post, I have done a lot of work fixing up a couple older BMWs and just about anything on the jeep seems very easy in comparison now.

Reactions: pagrey and MikeE024
Sounds like it wasn't too bad. You aren't kidding about how easy it is to work on our rigs compared to other vehicles, especially older BMWs.

Absolutely!

It’s wonderful working on these after years of modifying/maintaining other vehicles and especially compared to pain in the ass jobs on F-14 Tomcats (bc decades of quick fixes to get a jet up in the air made for a troubleshooting nightmare on the avionics).

Navy or contractor? Went to Pima a few years ago and was surprised to find they were all retired. I've seen a few of them in my time, they are huge. Obviously with the movie everybody has them on their radar.

Navy from 2000 to 2005.

Worked on Tomcats for roughly three years and then supervised our AT shop after we switched to super hornets. (VF-154 became VFA-154). Got out after spending 7 months of 2005 on the water (USS Carl Vinson).

I think the last tomcat squadron was decommissioned around 2006.

My ex's dad came down for law school graduation a few weeks ago... I skipped graduation to take the jeep out and then we went to the air and space museum up the road. I got to see the SR-71 for the first time and my god was that awesome to see.

Sadly, they aren't doing boneyard tours anymore. I asked a museum worker why and she said that the AF used to let the museum do tours (without it being profitable to the museum). Covid killed the tours in the short term, but the AF refused to re-contract with the museum again bc the museum wanted to get a little profit for their efforts and the AF said no. She said that the AF doesn't want to deal with tours but was willing to make money if the museum did the work for next to free. Kinda shitty and not surprising. I wanted to see the boneyard again bc I worked there for roughly two months back in 2002/2003 to build up three stored tomcats for the fleet. (that was a fun trip).

Ok sorry for all that off-topic info.

Reactions: Apparition
I have the NSG-370 (6 speed). Can I just buy a reman 42rle and scavenge all the other parts from EBay, FB, etc. to do a swap, including the PCM?

I’ve been looking for months for a 42rle in my area and nothing. Hoping to get the whole thing together, but blah. Plus, transmission would probably have 150k on it anyway.

Last edited:
I have the NSG-370 (6 speed). Can I just buy a reman 42rle and scavenge all the other parts from EBay, FB, etc. to do a swap, including the PCM?

I’ve been looking for months for a 42rle in my area and nothing. Hoping to get the whole thing together, but blah. Plus, transmission would probably have 150k on it anyway.

I'd consider swapping with you had I not spent $$$$$ in labor to get the bullripper running well. It's running well now but damn was it a painful road to get there. That said, I'd like to track your potential swap in case I ever want to switch to manual.

Reactions: JMT

Short answer, yes. That’s how I did it. Bought everything individually. I looked through the parts manuals and looked for differences between the auto and manual. Mechanically, it’s pretty simple. Electrically, it’s tough, especially since you have an 05. You’ll have to change the pcm to one with a TCM in it. I don’t know what the harness differences are in the last two years.

Spend lots of time looking for those differences, then look again after you’re done. I missed a couple things, and I spent hours pouring over posts, talking with Blaine, and studying the manual.

Reactions: JMT and MikeE024

Sure, it will take some time and luck but it can be done.

Short answer, yes. That’s how I did it. Bought everything individually. I looked through the parts manuals and looked for differences between the auto and manual. Mechanically, it’s pretty simple. Electrically, it’s tough, especially since you have an 05. You’ll have to change the pcm to one with a TCM in it. I don’t know what the harness differences are in the last two years.

Spend lots of time looking for those differences, then look again after you’re done. I missed a couple things, and I spent hours pouring over posts, talking with Blaine, and studying the manual.

The electrical is not much different between the two groups. There is still the same oddities that make you scratch your head. Most common are the ETAX relay being in the PDC in a rig with a manual in it and then some do and some don't have the OD off connector stored in the switch blank.

The list is pretty easy to put together if folks are in need.

Holy crap those are expensive... Might as well buy a lift!
Deal on brand new, in box Harbor Freight transmission jack $75. Bought a transmission jack from Harbor Freight knowing I would eventually need it to drop the fuel tank. Took so long for me to get to it that I forgot it and bought another one before rediscovering the old one. In the meantime. have found a lot of other helpful uses for the 4 way positionable ability. So have a brand new, in the box transmission jack for sale. Lists for $129.99, asking $75 plus shipping if you can't pick it up. Located in N Oceanside off College 92057

Other one made getting the fuel tank out way easier. Way more convenient than a floor jack for things like refitting the shovel. Now if I could only get the fuel pump lock ring loose.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-l...jack-61232.html?_br_psugg_q=transmission+jack

Last edited:
I pulled my first automatic when I was 16. It was a 1969 AMC Rebel (343). I laid under it and worked it off the engine guiding it with my knees onto my belly then I slid it off my belly onto the ground. That night I used a lot of shampoo getting the ATF out of my hair.
Probably the most common mistake a beginner makes on an automatic is not getting the TC properly seated into the pump before bolting everything back up.
Back to the regular program.

Reactions: JMT