How I fixed my front seat belts

Ivan Condori

I couldn't find anything to fix a front seat belt that is locked up . I don't know what caused this to happen but glad I fixed it. I have other projects that I am saving cash for and wasn't ready for seat belts.
First take off the black cover with a flat head * be easy don't want to brake it.

z7hgvAQ.jpg

Where you get it off you will notice the yellow catch is caught on to the wheel causing the jam. Give the belt a couple of tugs to see how it is working.
vvnUqti.jpg

The yellow catch has a leg with is supposed to attach to the purple ball bearing retainer. Once you carefully connect the two together you are good to go.
3ZHUSCO.jpg

I hope the helps some of yall save some money!

Almost. I have the opposite. It wont come out. But I think this still might help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Almost. I have the opposite. It wont come out. But I think this still might help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

See mine did that for a while. I didn't remove the cap to check it out, but I'm assuming that me jarring the crap out of the tj while off roading gave it some act right.

Reactions: Chris
Mine wasn't retracting completely and left lots of slack after unbuckling. I soaked it in simple green and sprayed WD40 all up in it then soaked it again. Works 90% better now.
Just did this and worked but have question. At the bottom there is that plastic cover that I popped I popped open, it's hinged towards the back of cover. Well it won't snap back into place. Just lays there loose now. I don't see any broken pieces not do I see any place it's supposed to snap in place. Not sure what was holding it in place in the first place.

Moving this to the How-To section. This will be very useful for a lot of people!

Well done!

I know this is an old post, but I found this while trying to find a fix for a highly sensitive seat belt retractor. The fix that is explained is not the proper set up for the ball and cup. When the tab of the purple piece in the images is placed oved the tab on the yellow catch, it will not allow the ball bearing to lift the catch into place. In many instances, it will cause the retractor to not catch at all. You may want to remove this post so no one puts themselves in harms way by replicating it.

Reactions: JMT and Chris