How I started my "Jeep Life"

Saw a red CJ7 on the side of the road for sale in 1988. Had to have it. I drove it for two months, and hated it. 30 years and 13 Jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ, JK all in the mix) later, driving a 2004 Rubicon. Can't seem to quit. I've tried...maybe I'll try a 4Runner.

Reactions: ac_
Saw a red CJ7 on the side of the road for sale in 1988. Had to have it. I drove it for two months, and hated it. 30 years and 13 Jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ, JK all in the mix) later, driving a 2004 Rubicon. Can't seem to quit. I've tried...maybe I'll try a 4Runner.

I can't say anything bad about Toyota, but don't do it; you will regret it. No matter how much you try, your 4runner is not a substitute for a Jeep especially with how much jeep blood you have. I mean if you want a 4runner go for it, but don't get rid of your jeep you will regret it, and then find yourself not being to find a good replacement and end up with a JL or worse a JK.

Reactions: Chris
Drove my buddy's '84 CJ with a 4 cylinder in it back in the day. It was fun, but I wasn't overly impressed with the lack of power. Then I had the chance to drive a '73 bullnose Commando with a 304 V8 in it for a couple of months. Loved it! Bought a new '90 Toyota Xtracab 4X4, but it wasn't the same. Sold it. No 4X4 until I got a '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle, and then an '84 Grand Wagoneer. Eventually sold those, as well. Bought the wife's 96 XJ 2-door in 2012, and we still have it. Bought my '98 TJ Sahara from the original owner because it was cheap. Let me rephrase that: It was cheap to obtain. Ain't nothin' cheap about 'em once you commit to "improving" them!

*I'm not sure I actually qualify as being part of "the Jeep life". I love the automobile, in general, and have owned a lot of vehicles through the years (north of 300) . I plan on hanging onto the TJ, though. It's gonna go with me into retirement (well, that's the plan, anyways!).

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
My Jeep story isn't as interesting as everyone else's but here it is. When I was 4 my dad had and old Bronco (the cool looking ones). He traded it for a Scout. Well he was about to trade it for a CJ when he got sick. Well he never got to buy the CJ. But my uncle wound up with it....a CJ7 and he fixed it up and lifted it and all that jazz. Wish I had pictures. I loved riding in it so when I was 16 I wanted a CJ. Well my parents budget was good enough to get a CJ so I wind up with CRX. Drove that thing to death and it had 300 k when I finally traded it in for 97 TJ. Loved that thing so much I drove it 330k before it finally became time to get rid of it a few years ago. When I got rid of it we had to get a safe car for kids to ride in first and then I was supposed to get a new Jeep. Well I didn't like the new Wranglers so I searched for about a year until I found this one.....

IMG_0624.JPG

Reactions: Squatch