How I use my TJ for Plein Air Painting

ToddDerrArtist

TJ Enthusiast
First of all, you might be wondering what plein air painting is. It's just a fancy French phrase that folks use to basically say, painting outside....artistically.

I've kinda mellowed out with age and just take my Jeep out for sedate drives on Forest Service roads here in the Cherokee National Forest and other places, looking for subjects to paint. I'm an oil painter and love setting up under the big ol' sky and painting mountains, waterfalls, fields, trees, flowers...whatever catches my eye. Just like ol' Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet used to do...but they didn't have a Jeep. :)

Today I went up along the Tellico River and the North River. Also drove on up to the 5,000 ft. bald at Whigg Meadow. Beautiful view up there.

Here are my photos and the two paintings I completed today.

jeepforum7301.jpg

jeepforum7401.jpg

jeepforum7201.jpg

jeepforum71301.jpg

jeepforum7501.jpg

jeepforum7601.jpg

jeepforum7701.jpg

jeepforum7801.jpg

jeepforum7901.jpg

jeepforum71101.jpg

jeepforum71201.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for check this out.

. . . you might be wondering what plein air painting is. It's just a fancy French phrase that folks use to basically say, painting outside....artistically. . . .

Funny you would say that. I grew up in an artist colony in the Southern California foothills. Many of our neighbors were plein air artists, some apparently quite famous. One of my favorite pieces as a kid was a plein air oil by Emil Kosa, Jr., who had spent some time living in the home of our neighbor, artist Millard Sheets, purchased by my mother at a small local gallery, because the scene reminded me of the places my dad would take us in the family jeep. It hangs in my home 52 years later and it still brings back memories of those first jeep trips.

I like your work.

P.S. This is the Kosa:

Emil Kosa Jr. Painting.jpg

Funny you would say that. I grew up in an artist colony in the Southern California foothills. Many of our neighbors were plein air artists, some apparently quite famous. One of my favorite pieces as a kid was a plein air oil by Emil Kosa, Jr., who had spent some time living in the home of our neighbor, artist Millard Sheets, purchased by my mother at a small local gallery, because the scene reminded me of the places my dad would take us in the family jeep. It hangs in my home 52 years later and it still brings back memories of those first jeep trips.

I like your work.

P.S. This is the Kosa:

View attachment 159086

That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I'm familiar with many of the California Impressionists, but I guess Sheets and Kosa were more know as California Scene Painters...what's the difference, they are all good and inspire me.

I grew up in Indiana, not far from where there was an pretty well known artist colony in Brown County. Actually, there is still a pretty good group of plein air artist's in Indiana, of which I was a member until recently with my move to Tennessee.

I gotta get out to California sometime.

That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I'm familiar with many of the California Impressionists, but I guess Sheets and Kosa were more know as California Scene Painters...what's the difference, they are all good and inspire me.

I grew up in Indiana, not far from where there was an pretty well known artist colony in Brown County. Actually, there is still a pretty good group of plein air artist's in Indiana, of which I was a member until recently with my move to Tennessee.

I gotta get out to California sometime.

You should.

[I still have family in Poseyville, about two hours southwest of Brown County.]

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Those are outstanding. I'm not an big art guy, but everything I have on my walls & garage are things that have just caught my eye and I can't begin to explain why I like them. I guess that's the point, huh? Keep up the good work and feel free to share more!

Those are outstanding. I'm not an big art guy, but everything I have on my walls & garage are things that have just caught my eye and I can't begin to explain why I like them. I guess that's the point, huh? Keep up the good work and feel free to share more!
Thank you!! That's what I tell people....don't buy art that matches the couch and drapes. Buy art that speaks to you.

First of all, you might be wondering what plein air painting is. It's just a fancy French phrase that folks use to basically say, painting outside....artistically.

I've kinda mellowed out with age and just take my Jeep out for sedate drives on Forest Service roads here in the Cherokee National Forest and other places, looking for subjects to paint. I'm an oil painter and love setting up under the big ol' sky and painting mountains, waterfalls, fields, trees, flowers...whatever catches my eye. Just like ol' Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet used to do...but they didn't have a Jeep. :)

Today I went up along the Tellico River and the North River. Also drove on up to the 5,000 ft. bald at Whigg Meadow. Beautiful view up there.

Here are my photos and the two paintings I completed today.

View attachment 158024
View attachment 158025
View attachment 158026
View attachment 158027
View attachment 158028
View attachment 158029
View attachment 158030
View attachment 158031
View attachment 158032
View attachment 158033
View attachment 158034

If you made it this far, thanks for check this out.
Those are gorgeous. I like to think of myself as a landscape photographer and live in Athens TN. I spend quite a bit of time in the Tellico Plains area.

Those are gorgeous. I like to think of myself as a landscape photographer and live in Athens TN. I spend quite a bit of time in the Tellico Plains area.
Hey, thanks Mike. I'm a recent transplant and not too far from you, actually. We ended up outside of Cleveland. We looked at a couple of houses in Athens. Nice little town.
I love the Tellico area. A target rich environment for paintings. Ha!!

I agree that its a target rich environment. I have a lot of photographs from there. If you haven't been to Citico Creek yet, you should give that a look. It's off the Cherohala Skyway at Indian Boundary.