How illegal is your Jeep?

How many vehicle codes does your Jeep violate (where you live)?

• 1-2

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • 3-4

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • 4-5

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 6+

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • None, I'm legit!

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • All of them, I'm not road licensed!

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I was looking at a license plate relocation thread that was talking about the license plate light wires... and thinking... hmm, I have no light... guess that's illegal :) Got me to thinking about how many local code violations I have and wondering how the rest of you fare :)

For me, the list is:
No rear license plate light
no front license plate (I 'think' it's in the garage somewhere)
front bumper is 1" higher than legal (Washington bases it on vehicle weight oddly enough)
fender flares don't cover the tire tread
rear wheel wells... no mud flaps... are supposed to cover down to the middle of the tire (50% or more)... they don't even come close
driver/passenger windows are tinted darker than legal (PO did this, I haven't bothered to replace them yet as I wheel with windows down)

So that is 6 that I can think of :)

Reactions: Wildman
There’s so many ridiculous laws I’m not even aware of I’d bet many of us are 6+. Bumper height, front plates, wheel coverage, 3rd brake light deletes, mudflaps...

Reactions: D M and Apparition
There’s so many ridiculous laws I’m not even aware of I’d bet many of us are 6+. Bumper height, front plates, wheel coverage, 3rd brake light deletes, mudflaps...
hmm, I didn't even think of 3rd brake light... mine didn't come with one (from the PO)... were they stock on all TJ models?

No cats, no downstream O2 sensors (deleted in tuning), tire coverage, bumper height, non DOT lighting and more I am sure. It is inspected and legally plated and carries full coverage insurance that covers off road damage. I know some people who will bend a rule or two.

So I guess I'm up to 7 with no third brake light per Washington code..

(3) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1985; and every passenger truck, passenger van, or passenger sports [sport] utility vehicle manufactured or assembled after September 1, 1993, must be equipped with a rear center high-mounted stop lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(3).

I had to change my vote twice as I read other's responses and remembered a couple things. AFAIK, the only things I'm in violation right now are tire coverage, non-DOT headlights (Hella E-Code housings with Beamtech LEDs), and the 3rd brake light is missing.

Reactions: DaveF
I’ve got two not mentioned.

Front bumper width, 10 inches outside frame rail here

And I think my intercom headsets are a no no too

but I do have a prescription for my tint

I’ve got two not mentioned.

Front bumper width, 10 inches outside frame rail here

And I think my intercom headsets are a no no too

but I do have a prescription for my tint
Oh, front bumper width, didn't even think that was a thing... since I just cut 16 inches of mine you've got me curious :)

Reactions: Apparition
Do you guys not have annual vehicle inspections?

I mean, currently mine has a non-functioning rear fog light (suspect failed multifunction switch), but I’ll have to get that fixed or it will fail the next annual inspection, and theoretically it’s a violation to drive the car in a state which means it won’t pass, although minor things are rarely picked up as the police have better things to do. (But people do get stopped for illegal lighting etc.)

I think for CO the only thing I am offending would be the required third brake light.
They used to have this law in CO. Fortunately is was deemed overboard.

1617988666655.png

Reactions: tworley

I mean, currently mine has a non-functioning rear fog light (suspect failed multifunction switch), but I’ll have to get that fixed or it will fail the next annual inspection, and theoretically it’s a violation to drive the car in a state which means it won’t pass, although minor things are rarely picked up as the police have better things to do. (But people do get stopped for illegal lighting etc.)
Washington has no regular inspection... and they are doing away with emissions testing I believe.

Per this https://www.liftlaws.com/washington_lift_laws.htm I don't have a minimum bumper width either so I guess I'm safe there :)

Amazingly, California does not have annual safety inspections. We do have biennial emissions inspections.

Reactions: Darsmith

It varies by state. Here in Arizona, we don't have inspections and they'll actually license any motor vehicle for use on the roads as long as it has working headlights, tail lights and a mirror. We do have emissions testing for vehicles over 5 years old; every 2 years for gas-powered vehicles and every year for diesel - but even that varies by county within the state.