How long do I have with this rust?

Bloodlines33

My gas tank skid is pretty rusty with the major issue on the passenger side. Jeep funds are low following a $800 full brake job after blowing the rear driver side brake line at the drum. How long do I have until my tank falls to the ground?

After looking at replacement photos I'm not even sure what I currently have is actually a stock gt skid (PO hack job?). I know there are $300+ aluminium Savvy skids but I don't do any serious off-roading. I've been keeping an eye on CL and FB market place for a stock part out but it's tough in NY to find one not equally rust compromised. Are there any inexpensive redneck engineering options like a ratchet strap that are worthwhile? Hoping I can make it through the winter.
Gas tank rear.JPG
Gas tank left.JPG

Gas tank under.JPG

Think about it this way. You're sitting on 120+ lbs of gasoline. Do you really want to redneck engineer for that? Besides that, the Savvy skid isn't just for off-road. It's a great alternative skid for those in the rust belt!

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Post a wanted ad for a factory skid in the wanted section, and keep an eye on the “for sale” section. A lot of people remove the stock skid to put in aluminum skids, so there are usually a few out there that people want to get rid of.

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/wanted.32/
https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/parts-for-sale.128/Also browse the part-out threads. Sometimes you might get lucky.

Be aware the 97-02 skid and the 03-06 skid are different. I think they may be compatible (confirm before buying), but the 03-06 skid is significantly stronger.

Reactions: JMT
Think about it this way. You're sitting on 120+ lbs of gasoline. Do you really want to redneck engineer for that? Besides that, the Savvy skid isn't just for off-road. It's a great alternative skid for those in the rust belt!
Yes, I do actually. But let me be clear, only as a temporary measure until I can afford and source an adequate replacement.

Reactions: Irun
Post a wanted ad for a factory skid in the wanted section, and keep an eye on the “for sale” section. A lot of people remove the stock skid to put in aluminum skids, so there are usually a few out there that people want to get rid of.

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/wanted.32/
https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/parts-for-sale.128/Also browse the part-out threads. Sometimes you might get lucky.

Be aware the 97-02 skid and the 03-06 skid are different. I think they may be compatible (confirm before buying), but the 03-06 skid is significantly stronger.
I appreciate the heads up on the 97-02 and 03-06 differences and I will also be checking the part-out threads. I have never posted a wanted ad but I will now!

Reactions: Steel City 06
Check ebay and was mentioned anything on the forum in the for sale sections and avoid anything from any rustbelt states. Shipping will be a bit, but if you plan on keeping the jeep, and the rest of her is in good shape, it'll be worth it.

My gas tank skid is pretty rusty with the major issue on the passenger side. Jeep funds are low following a $800 full brake job after blowing the rear driver side brake line at the drum. How long do I have until my tank falls to the ground?

After looking at replacement photos I'm not even sure what I currently have is actually a stock gt skid (PO hack job?). I know there are $300+ aluminium Savvy skids but I don't do any serious off-roading. I've been keeping an eye on CL and FB market place for a stock part out but it's tough in NY to find one not equally rust compromised. Are there any inexpensive redneck engineering options like a ratchet strap that are worthwhile? Hoping I can make it through the winter.
View attachment 193774View attachment 193775
View attachment 193776
Yeah, red-necking the gas tank sounds like a bad idea. I don’t know any way to do it either.

Drilling or grinding a few drain holes might help keep this one around. Never underestimate the corrosion that NY roads can cause!

Drilling or grinding a few drain holes might help keep this one around. Never underestimate the corrosion that NY roads can cause!
This has one drain hole right in the middle, probably could use more though. If it lasts another 20 years I'll be happy enough.

NY roads are the saltiest so I've been getting more car washes than ever before. Some municipalities are getting smart and making their own brine which is step in the right direction.

This has one drain hole right in the middle, probably could use more though. If it lasts another 20 years I'll be happy enough.

NY roads are the saltiest so I've been getting more car washes than ever before. Some municipalities are getting smart and making their own brine which is step in the right direction.
NY was the worst I experienced with the salty roads. I was born and raised up on Long Island and everything rusted to hell. Not to mention the salt air that didn't do any good.

Glad you got it replaced. Now coat it (and the rest of your undercarriage) with some fluid film.

Brine is even worse than using just salt/sand. It sprays up and sticks to and coats everything. They add (normally) beet juice to make it stay where it gets sprayed. Unfortunately it gets sprayed up under the Jeep when you drive over it.
Also be aware many carwashes recycle their water🤯. So the last car's salty water gets used to 'clean' your vehicle. Pushing salt up under pressure into all your crevices. 😱

Brine is even worse than using just salt/sand. It sprays up and sticks to and coats everything. They add (normally) beet juice to make it stay where it gets sprayed. Unfortunately it gets sprayed up under the Jeep when you drive over it.
Also be aware many carwashes recycle their water🤯. So the last car's salty water gets used to 'clean' your vehicle. Pushing salt up under pressure into all your crevices. 😱

I never even considered that. This is why I'm planning to install a hot water faucet outside. This will allow me to power wash at home with fresh water.