How long do you think a headlight would last? I can't believe the answer I found

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
I'm not talking about replacement LEDs or Jeep specific headlights, just the semi average headlights I put in my wife's Subaru Forester that pretty much has it's headlights on whenever it's running.

I put in two Sylvania Silverstar headlights $37.41 back in March. A couple weeks ago one went out. It really pissed me off but what could be done about it? Nothing really, so I bought another $27.87. During dinner my son told me it's because her lights are always on. Nahh, that can't be right. Well maybe it is part of it. He actually looked at the back of the package and read to me what it said about the rated life. I'm not sure that number (maybe 175) but WTF?

Yesterday I was at Walmart and looked at other Sylvania headlights. These H1 headlights aren't for the Forester but they were the only model I could find in all four different styles.

The Basic $5.97 rated life hours 335
IMG_20191208_154940089.jpg

The Ultravision $12.34 rated life hours 150. Double the price with a little under half the life.
IMG_20191208_154958073.jpg

The Silverstar $19.88 rated life hours 175 3X the price with a little over 1/2 the life
IMG_20191208_155012921.jpg

The Silverstar Ultra $24.88 rated life hours 125 4x the price and the lowest life.
IMG_20191208_155025500.jpg

FWIW I have some sealed beam headlights older than my 25 yr marriage that still work as good as they ever did. No they were never the greatest but they still work.

Reactions: Chris
If you do lots of headlight on time, the hallogens do not last as long as the stock sealed beams. In Alaska, I would get 18 months to 2 years out of a pair, if one died, the other would within a week or 2 consistently with the silverstar lights.

Reactions: reddvltj
Google it. Pretty common knowledge that the Silverstars have a short life. The only time I ever bought them (for a Chevy truck), they burned up in less than a year.

Reactions: Web98
my wife's Subaru Forester that pretty much has it's headlights on whenever it's running
Those would be Daytime Running Lights and they run the High Beams at a reduced voltage. They have no effect on the life of the Low Beams.

In 40 years I've never had a headlight burn out. Mine get replaced because of winter sand and gravel breaking them. That said, some of them still work half full of water. My wifes cars go 10 years without a headlight problem.

If you are burning them out often I'd get the voltage regulator checked.

Those would be Daytime Running Lights and they run the High Beams at a reduced voltage. They have no effect on the life of the Low Beams.

In 40 years I've never had a headlight burn out. Mine get replaced because of winter sand and gravel breaking them. That said, some of them still work half full of water. My wifes cars go 10 years without a headlight problem.

If you are burning them out often I'd get the voltage regulator checked.
Sounds like your describing a sealed beam.... something typical on these TJs.

I've only seen Silverstars come in replacement bulbs, ie; 9005 or 9006.

Nope, we are in the USA where it's not required by law. For some reason in the Forester, and maybe all current Subarus, you can just turn the lights on and leave them that way because they all are then controlled by just inserting or removing the ignition key. Why the wife likes them on all the time I'm not sure but I don't need to find out so I quit shutting them off.

I've got a subaru (2006 Legacy GT 5mt - it's for sale if anyone is interested) and it has daytime running lights. You can also turn the lights on and leave them on and they'll turn off once the ignition is off. I used to leave them like that but I read somewhere that the lightbulb's life is reduced if it's 'on' during the time you're cranking the starter. I dont know if that's true, but I know I had horrible lifespan with silverstars.... switched to something else and havent had such a problem since

Every style bulb has it's own rated lifestyle. 9005 and 9006 are the longest "common" style I think. The h7 bulb that Subaru uses just happens to rated the shortest life, regardless of brand/brightness. I've owned a few Subaru's so I feel your pain. I wish it wasn't like that, because it's a pain to explain to customers that don't quite understand