How long does it take to put your soft top down and up?

Looks like some folks need to put down the tire shine and pick up a wrench/shovel/something of sustenance...tools to remove a soft top?

Well I have been doing it wrong...did the drip rails after the unlatching the fronts...need a screw driver and almost popped through the top several times. Even after lubing the zippers the rear window takes a pair of plyers to unzip around the corners. My solution now remove top entirely and door uppers and keep it in the garage.

Reactions: AimeeP
Well I have been doing it wrong...did the drip rails after the unlatching the fronts...need a screw driver and almost popped through the top several times. Even after lubing the zippers the rear window takes a pair of plyers to unzip around the corners. My solution now remove top entirely and door uppers and keep it in the garage.

YouTube failed us!! :p

When I had my factory soft top I was able to go topless in about 5 min. If I can remember correctly I’ll take off my side windows first, then rear, pop off the latches then take the top off the drip rail then fold all the way back. About the same time putting it back on. With my current Bestop Trektop I wouldn’t even dare to go topless. Is such a pain putting on the windows especially the rear. When it’s hot I just fold the front half of the soft top back and take off the rear window. I struggle about 10-15min getting the rear window back on maybe even 20min. Also my side window zippers have come undone from folding the front half of the soft top back a number of times. I can’t get the side windows off now.

I can undo the drip rail with my finger, but it is really difficult for me to do. I just don't have the strength in my finger and even trying to get my finger in to where I can get a hold of it is a challenge.

My top is only 2 months old and has not been in the sun much yet. I use this little tool.

fullsizeoutput_36fe.jpeg

f1w5iUP1RDSA3KOeCeco%w.jpg

I have one on each side in the door pockets. One can get a 4 pack at Harbor Freight. It includes a curved on like seen in my pic, a L shaped one ( so there is both side in one package), and also a pic style one ( I use that one for my work) and also a small Phillips screw driver.

I haven't taken my top off yet so I can say how long it take me. I have only partially put it down so I could install my Alien Shade. :D

When I had my factory soft top I was able to go topless in about 5 min. If I can remember correctly I’ll take off my side windows first, then rear, pop off the latches then take the top off the drip rail then fold all the way back. About the same time putting it back on. With my current Bestop Trektop I wouldn’t even dare to go topless. Is such a pain putting on the windows especially the rear. When it’s hot I just fold the front half of the soft top back and take off the rear window. I struggle about 10-15min getting the rear window back on maybe even 20min. Also my side window zippers have come undone from folding the front half of the soft top back a number of times. I can’t get the side windows off now.

No fun!!

Top down in less than 5 mins and top up in 3 mins if I'm not putting the rear and side windows back on...(they can add 10 more mins )
If it starts to rain (as I can out of the blue here) Im looking for the nearest gas station to pull into to put the top back on minus the side and rear window , and I fold the back seat up so the seats wont get as wet as they would in their normal position.

I've only had this TJ for about 3 months. So haven't pulled the Rampage roof off at all & only taken the back window out a few times so far. But in that 3 or 4 times, I've figured out a few things..... the rear window side zippers are tough to get on if the air temps are under about 50 or 55.
I put it on Sunday night in about 60 degrees & it only took 3 or 4 minutes & the zippers hooked up easily.
I do like how the windows store in the safari lookin top. I bet I'll run that almost all summer long.

I've only had this TJ for about 3 months. So haven't pulled the Rampage roof off at all & only taken the back window out a few times so far. But in that 3 or 4 times, I've figured out a few things..... the rear window side zippers are tough to get on if the air temps are under about 50 or 55.
I put it on Sunday night in about 60 degrees & it only took 3 or 4 minutes & the zippers hooked up easily.
I do like how the windows store in the safari lookin top. I bet I'll run that almost all summer long.

I have found it much easier to remove the top if i park it outside in the sun for 10 minutes. When the top goes back on the windows also sit in the sun.