How many bumpers have you been through?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
Cleaning up some Jeep pictures, I realized I've now been through 5 bumpers, excluding stock, on my current Jeep (3 Front & 2 Rear). I'm guessing that others are doing their part to keep the TJ/LJ aftermarket going, so how many have you been through?

Front
Current - UCF Ultra Clearance Aluminum
qe5eH3w.jpg

Previous - UCF Frame Width Aluminum
G1HT1ri.jpg

Original - Nate's 4x4
RGq4FGw.jpg

Rear
Current - UCF Aluminum
8rCXIRL.jpg

Original - Nate's 4x4
twS9Wdk.jpg

Last edited:
I had the Nate's stuff before my current set. Good riddance to that heavy garbage.

Reactions: Irun
1/2- My TJ came with stock bumpers.

3- I immediately got an aftermarket rear bumper with tow hitch for small trailer.

4- I like the rear bumper and bought a front to match

Sold #1/2

5- I decided I wanted a swing away tire carrier and bought a similar bumper to #3 but with tire carrier.

Sold #3

6/7- The LJ came with smittybuilt bumpers.

8/9- bought stock bumpers ( I had already sold a set of these) to put on TJ to sell it. Moved 4/5 to LJ.

10- my buddy bought the TJ but wants a bumper like #3 so I need to buy another one of those.

So, I have smittybuilt front/rear and stock rear to get rid of

I think adding the reasons for the replacements could make this thread very interesting.

Good point. Everything I did was to solve a problem.

For me, my first front and rear bumpers were put on when I was in more of an overland mindset. That lasted until I got hooked on climbing hills and rocks.

Then, weight became a problem and I put the Jeep on a serious diet. To the point @jjvw made about the heavy Nate's bumper, here's what the first front bumper swap improved:

- Original Nate's front bumper weighed in at 62.5lbs
- New UCF aluminum bumper, with hoop and winch plate, weighed in at 24.4lbs

This gave me a total weight savings of 38.1 lbs on the nose. Additionally, the frame width bumper gave me a significantly improved approach angle, along with the ability to easily put my front tires on larger rocks.

The next front bumper swap (Ultra Clearance) came when I was getting more aggressive on the trail and wanted to improve the approach angle as much as I could, short of cutting the front frame cross member. The addition of the Antirock allowed me to make the switch, resulting in approximately a 2" improvement in approach angle. The weight did go back up a little, but not significantly.

The switch on the rear was similar in nature. Finding the lightest bumper that also incorporated a swing out tire carrier (opening with the tailgate) was critical. Also important was pulling the rear spare in and down. In the end, the UCF rear bumper resulted in:

- shaving 31.5 lbs of weight off the tail end
- pulling the tire in 6 inches closer to the tail gate
- dropping the 100 lb spare tire 8 inches, for a lower center of gravity
- being able to see out of the back window again
- tail gate & tire carrier opening with one motion

Rear departure angles are now a slight problem I'm contemplating. There's a possibility I'll have a third bumper on the rear. We'll have to see about that one though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
1/2- My TJ came with stock bumpers.

3- I immediately got an aftermarket rear bumper with tow hitch for small trailer.

4- I like the rear bumper and bought a front to match

Sold #1/2

5- I decided I wanted a swing away tire carrier and bought a similar bumper to #3 but with tire carrier.

Sold #3

6/7- The LJ came with smittybuilt bumpers.

8/9- bought stock bumpers ( I had already sold a set of these) to put on TJ to sell it. Moved 4/5 to LJ.

10- my buddy bought the TJ but wants a bumper like #3 so I need to buy another one of those.

So, I have smittybuilt front/rear and stock rear to get rid of

I totally get this!!

I've been through 4 front bumpers and 2 in the rear not including stock on both.

The stock front bumper was replaced when my 17 year old son hit a parked car while pulling out of the school parking lot.
The bumper was bent in about 6" on the corner. The old Ford truck he hit had a huge steel bumper and was not damaged.

Replacement bumper was a cheap ProComp bumper off Ebay for $60. Cheap and ugly, but got us back on the road.
bumper1.jpg

Replaced that bumper a year or two later with an EAG tube bumper. Thought it was cool at the time, but I quickly grew to dislike it.
Removed, sold on Craigslist for $75.
bumper2 (2).jpg

Next up was a FishBone stubby bumper. I thought it looked good till I nosed it ever so gently into a rock and the corner weld cracked. I could have repaired it, but I was ready to install a winch and wanted to get a lightweight frame-width bumper.
bumper3.jpg

Finally got serious and put a UCF aluminum bumper on and a Warn winch. I like this one... Think I'll keep it awhile.
72.jpg

Replaced the stock rear bumper with an EAG simply to match the one I had on the front. This thing hung down way to far and drug on every rock it came across. Sold on Craigslist for $75 to the same guy who bought the front.
bumper4 (2).jpg

Quit playing games and got a Swag bumper... I like this one alot too. Think I'll keep it.
bumper5.jpg

Last edited:
Mine came with the mopar rock crawler (front), but since I couldn't run an antirock without hacking it up I did a shuffle to the motobilt stubby:

817D1B01-3C4D-4B48-82CB-392E3255A3AC.jpeg

35DAB003-1F60-4C74-A12C-BEF15767FAD6.jpeg

However I will likely replace it with the Savvy once I get other parts of my build done. Part of it is look, part of it is that the design of the savvy is better

On the rear, I wanted more protection than the OEM + milk jugs and got a 2nd hand Dirtworx:

8A3C7C1C-B26D-49B8-AB95-9D18B38354C3.jpeg

The build quality is pretty solid, however it sticks out more than I want - so that will be coming off for some type of undecided plate bumper + frame tuck.

Reactions: DuncLJ and Irun
Good point. Everything I did was to solve a problem.

For me, my first front and rear bumpers were put on when I was in more of an overland mindset. That lasted until I got hooked on climbing hills and rocks.

Then, weight became a problem and I put the Jeep on a serious diet. To the point @jjvw made about the heavy Nate's bumper, here's what the first front bumper swap improved:

- Original Nate's front bumper weighed in at 62.5lbs
- New UCF aluminum bumper, with hoop and winch plate, weighed in at 24.4lbs

This gave me a total weight savings of 38.1 lbs on the nose. Additionally, the frame width bumper gave me a significantly improved approach angle, along with the ability to easily put my front tires on larger rocks.

The next front bumper swap (Ultra Clearance) came when I was getting more aggressive on the trail and wanted to improve the approach angle as much as I could, short of cutting the front frame cross member. The addition of the Antirock allowed me to make the switch, resulting in approximately a 2" improvement in approach angle. The weight did go back up a little, but not significantly.

The switch on the rear was similar in nature. Finding the lightest bumper that also incorporated a swing out tire carrier (opening with the tailgate) was critical. Also important was pulling the rear spare in and down. In the end, the UCF rear bumper resulted in:

- shaving 31.5 lbs of weight off the tail end
- pulling the tire in 6 inches closer to the tail gate
- dropping the 100 lb spare tire 8 inches, for a lower center of gravity
- being able to see out of the back window again
- tail gate & tire carrier opening with one motion

Rear departure angles are now a slight problem I'm contemplating. There's a possibility I'll have a third bumper on the rear. We'll have to see about that one though!

How does that tire carrier not rattle? Love everything about it, especially the part that it swings with the tailgate door just cant see how it wouldn’t rattle like hell.
Also can you tow with that bumper? The aluminum ones I’ve looked at say they can only handle a bike carrier or something.
Any way I could bug you for pics on how it works?

The front has been straight forward. Went from stock to the UCF frame width you sold me. I love and see no reason to change anytime soon. Love the look, weight and function.

The rear has been a different story. After stock I bought a hulking tube bumper of CL because it had a hitch. It was full width and ended up just running the hitch for awhile. I hastily bought a cheap Barricade full length bumper that had a built in hitch, but was not great for departure angle and I smashed it on everything. I finally settled on a Barnes low profile with a hitch. I love it, although the hitch is pretty useless as it won't handle a Thule bike rack very well. I haven't smashed it at all since departure angle is superb. It's a keeper.

Sarkis

How does that tire carrier not rattle? Love everything about it, especially the part that it swings with the tailgate door just cant see how it wouldn’t rattle like hell.
Also can you tow with that bumper? The aluminum ones I’ve looked at say they can only handle a bike carrier or something.
Any way I could bug you for pics on how it works?

The rear bumper is actually a hybrid. There's a steel 2x2 core that's wrapped with an aluminum outer. There are pros and cons for this one, but it doesn't rattle at all. I'll post pictures when I have time later today.

Reactions: TJ Starting and DWR
While reading Irun's post I was wondering why a bumper would need to be replaced and how many times has it hit something.

After reading jjvw's post I see a totally different reason.

I think adding the reasons for the replacements could make this thread very interesting.

Weight, physical size, and the problem of the Nate's tire carrier breaking itself apart was the reason I changed. I would consider a Savvy front bumper some day to save another 20lbs, by I'm happy with my modified Motobilt.
20200718_152012.jpg

The rear is a modified Next Venture that I added a low profile receiver to.
20200712_134916.jpg

I went through three on my last TJ. Only one on the current TJ because I've finally seen the light :LOL:

5 for me counting OEM.

Warn Stubby changed to Savvy front
Rear changed to Genright Bumper plate.