How many bumpers have you been through?

after the factory front and rear on each I had the RockHard on the YJ for awhile, and decided it was too heavy on the 2.5L so swapped it onto the TJ and installed the aluminum Metalcloak on the YJ
3W5FHv3.jpg

have a Genright on the rear of the YJ.....I think that Dirtworx rear would go well with the RockHard front on my TJ
8a3c7c1c-b26d-49b8-ab95-9d18b38354c3-jpeg.jpg

YbU5rbo.jpg

Reactions: DuncLJ
after the factory front and rear on each I had the RockHard on the YJ for awhile, and decided it was too heavy on the 2.5L so swapped it onto the TJ and installed the aluminum Metalcloak on the YJ
View attachment 179020

have a Genright on the rear of the YJ.....I think that Dirtworx rear would go well with the RockHard front on my TJ
View attachment 179021
View attachment 179022

If you’re coming up toward CO anytime I’ll be selling it when I land on something to replace it ;)

Reactions: crackedcornish
+1, I may try to convince @jjvw to make another...

It wasn't difficult. Just needs a square hole in the crossmember. With your LJ, we could sink it deeper as long as you know you won't be doing a wheelbase stretch that moves the gas tank backwards.

It wasn't difficult. Just needs a square hole in the crossmember. With your LJ, we could sink it deeper as long as you know you won't be doing a wheelbase stretch that moves the gas tank backwards.

My plan is to copy your frame tuck (1.25”) and I don’t expect to stretch my wheelbase unless I keep getting hung up on things like the whale’s tail. I figure a plate bumper + raise at least gives me a fighting chance. Any future stretch would be much more involved where repairing the crossmember isn’t a big deal.

Reactions: jjvw
My plan is to copy your frame tuck (1.25”) and I don’t expect to stretch my wheelbase unless I keep getting hung up on things like the whale’s tail. I figure a plate bumper + raise at least gives me a fighting chance. Any future stretch would be much more involved where repairing the crossmember isn’t a big deal.

One thing I'll warn you about is that with the raised, low profile bumper, I'm damaging the body way more than in the past. Not having the bumper in the way let's me get into more trouble. Couldn't have gone quite this far only to get stuck on the body with the old fat wide bumper. Full corners are on the short medium list now.
20200718_145850.jpg

Reactions: Irun
no plans at the moment for a road trip...but who knows once all this covid stuff is done, I may feel the need to just drive somewhere for a couple days :LOL:

They’re really affordable straight from Dirtworx. However I got mine from @strumble8 a year or so ago - he wheels pretty hard and it was still holding up well.

One thing I'll warn you about is that with the raised, low profile bumper, I'm damaging the body way more than in the past. Full corners are on the short medium list now.

That’s something I planned to ask you about a few weekends ago - when I couldn’t make it thanks to my stall queen. I imagine a hybrid of the NV and dirtworx as another approach. Perhaps the ends could be boxed in.

That’s something I planned to ask you about a few weekends ago - when I couldn’t make it thanks to my stall queen. I imagine a hybrid of the NV and dirtworx as another approach. Perhaps the ends could be boxed in.

You can address the problem at the bumper or at the body. It depends on what you want out of the rig and what you expect to damage higher up. In my case, I like the slimmer Jeep and I also want/need to protect the tub elsewhere.

Reactions: rasband
You can address the problem at the bumper or at the body. It depends on what you want out of the rig and what you expect to damage higher up. In my case, I like the slimmer Jeep and I also want/need to protect the tub elsewhere.

I’d prefer to get the hang up points as high as possible, so similarly I’d lean toward the body armor if/when I have the same problem.

Reactions: jjvw
I’d prefer to get the hang up points as high as possible, so similarly I’d lean toward the body armor if/when I have the same problem.

I'm thinking along these lines as well. At this point I'm leaning towards no receiver hitch though. Primarily due to the fact that in the last 6+ years I've used the one I currently have maybe twice.

With regards to armor, I installed full steel corners early on. However, to @jjvw 's point, the Jeep typically drags on the receiver hitch or rear bumper and doesn't hit on the bottom of the rocker. The armor has helped minimize damage from sliding into things, but hits from the bottom aren't a problem now. I'm assuming this will change if a new rear bumper gets installed.

I'm thinking along these lines as well. At this point I'm leaning towards no receiver hitch though. Primarily due to the fact that in the last 6+ years I've used the one I currently have maybe twice.

I would drop the receiver if I didn’t run a bike rack in the summer and my family wasn’t planning a camping trailer (which only the LJ can tow for the foreseeable future).

If I was in your case, I’d just rent from Home Depot or wherever the couple of times I need it!

I would drop the receiver if I didn’t run a bike rack in the summer and my family wasn’t planning a camping trailer (which only the LJ can tow for the foreseeable future).

If I was in your case, I’d just rent from Home Depot or wherever the couple of times I need it!

Several years ago I bought a trailer and truck to tow it. That's when owning a Jeep got expensive! 🥴

OBnMLVx.jpg

Those bolt on hitches are such a good solution for this if you can make them work. Once every few years your departure angle sucks for a day or two, who cares if you're pulling a trailer? There are allot of designs out there and I don't know how any of them play with aftermarket bumpers but it is almost the best of both worlds if you rarely need it.

thought those were JK bumpers, do they make one for a TJ?

ETA did a quick search and found they do
View attachment 181060

I have a Barnes aluminum front bumper, which is no longer made. I've mocked it up on a couple Jeeps, but never used it. Someday it will go on a Jeep, but for now it's just hanging out with all the other parts that are unused! 🥴

HnXPgwo.jpg

gRBO0T9.jpg

Many of the bumper changes look very good. But other than looks and a winch install is there another motivation to change them?

Many of the bumper changes look very good. But other than looks and a winch install is there another motivation to change them?

Recovery points, weight savings, and stubby bumpers are the advantages I see to changing a bumper.

Reactions: rasband
Mine came with an EAG stinger. I don't like it. I want a stubby for front and rear. I'm likely to go with Fishbone or Poison...seems decent enough for the price.