How many miles can you go without stopping while flat towing a TJ?

Until you run out of rim...

C04AC7A8-A129-41DD-9D3C-C2E8F25B5F45.jpeg

CA078972-9AEE-4C08-B0CF-641C464471D3.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
Does anyone ever take the drive shafts off the differentials and just wire them up out of the way. I’m pulling it about 1100 miles so I wouldn’t be spinning anything during the tow?

Reactions: alittleoff
Does anyone ever take the drive shafts off the differentials and just wire them up out of the way. I’m pulling it about 1100 miles so I wouldn’t be spinning anything during the tow?
I never remove anything I pull mine behind my RV 6 to 10 thousand miles a year the only thing I do is rotate tires often. No problems at all.
T Case in neutral
Trans in 2nd

Reactions: Mike JF

There would be no harm to securing the driveshafts up out of the way. Just a lot more work considering you have to tape the u joint caps to keep them on, and make sure if you go over bumps you don’t hit the drive shaft. TCASE in neutral has no harm

Reactions: Mike JF
There is absolutely no reason do do that, it's just not needed. Just shift the t-case to Neutral and make sure the transmission is either IN gear or in Park. Make sure the transmission is not in Neutral, only the transfer case should be in neutral.

Before I flat towed mine, I called Advance Adapters regarding my Atlas II.
They said 300 miles, then disconnect and drive it for 5 miles. Then hook back up and tow.
They also said, why risk it, just disconnect the rear at the diff and tie it up, since my fronts are locking hubs.
I only did this once. Now I have a trailer.

Before I flat towed mine, I called Advance Adapters regarding my Atlas II.
They said 300 miles, then disconnect and drive it for 5 miles. Then hook back up and tow.
They also said, why risk it, just disconnect the rear at the diff and tie it up, since my fronts are locking hubs.
I only did this once. Now I have a trailer.
Mike JF does not have an Atlas, few can afford an Atlas TC.

I can but I didn't have to, since I won the TJ in a raffle. But you know of that too Jerry.
Not really. I won a Milemarker hydraulic winch 20 years ago but that was 1/4-1/3 the cost of an Atlas. Which is still a moot point since neither of the individuals has an Atlas.

Last edited:
I flat towed to Glacier NP (over 600 miles) and then on to Calgary a few days later. Just outside of Calgary the front driveline double cardan gave out. At that point, the turning front wheels tore the transfer case into two pieces. The transfer case piece attached to the driveline continued to spin and destroy everything it hit.

I bought the jeep used and hadn't had it very long, hadn't heard of the angry sparrows, and was towing with a big motorhome that had 1450 ft-lbs of torque. I didn't have driveline squeak before I left. It was impossible to hear anything while towing.

I needed a new wiring harness, new transfer case, a new front driveline, a new transmission, and a new TC shifter amongst other things to get it back on the road.

If I could go back in time, I would have replaced the stock front driveline before this all happened. Apparently, it is somewhat infamous ('04 TJ). It's something to look into if you're going to be towing for long distances.

Today, I use a tilt-bed aluminum trailer to haul the jeep around. I love it. Great peace of mind.

Reactions: alittleoff
There's no need to stop except for gas. Just make sure your automatic transmission is in PARK and the transfer case in Neutral while it is being flat towed. Yes your automatic transmission must be in Park while flat towing, and the tcase in Neutral. Really.
Hey, Jerry!
I’m new to the motorhome thing & we got our TJ to use as a dingy. The Jeep has the 6 speed manual trans. My question concerns the position of the ignition key. I know that the key has to be in the “power off/steering unlocked” position which appears to be the first click after turning the engine off. Am I right? When the key is in this position it can’t be removed from the ignition switch (even when pushing the button). Is this normal & does the key have to remain in the ignition switch while the Jeep is being towed?
Thanks in advance for your help.

My question concerns the position of the ignition key. I know that the key has to be in the “power off/steering unlocked” position which appears to be the first click after turning the engine off. [1] Am I right? When the key is in this position it can’t be removed from the ignition switch (even when pushing the button). [2] Is this normal & [3] does the key have to remain in the ignition switch while the Jeep is being towed?
Question 1: Yes.

Question 2: Yes.

Question 3: Normally yes, however some 05-06 TJ's with automatics did not come from the factory with locking steering.

We have a had a motorhome for over 20 years and always towed one of 3 different Jeeps (2 TJ's and 1 GC) 10's of thousands of miles. Used the above mentioned instructions and never had a problem. Don't create extra work if not needed.