How many miles can you go without stopping while flat towing a TJ?

When towing a 2005 Jeep Wrangler automatic how many miles can you go without stopping??
There's no need to stop except for gas. Just make sure your automatic transmission is in PARK and the transfer case in Neutral while it is being flat towed. Yes your automatic transmission must be in Park while flat towing, and the tcase in Neutral. Really.

To flat tow a CJ with the Dana 300 transfer case one also left the transmission in gear and transfer case in neutral, but was also required to stop every 200 miles or so and run the engine for a few minutes with the transmission in gear to splash oil on the transfer case output bearings. Most of my trips were 200 miles or less, and for the longer runs I usually went through the process at fuel stops and didn't pay too much attention to the exact number of miles.

One does not need to be concerned with periodic stops to run the engine for the purpose of splashing oil on the transfer case output bearings for the NP321 and NP241OR chain driven transfer cases in the TJ and TJ Rubicon.

When towing a 2005 Jeep Wrangler automatic how many miles can you go without stopping??

I flat towed mine from the San Francisco Bay Area to Moab, but I did have a stop over in NV. Oh yea and UT has a 80 MPH speed limit, not like CA's 55 MPH while towing, but hey who ever does 55 LOL

Marie's Phone 218.JPG

Marie's Phone 230.JPG

Ok I asked this ? In a hurry on my way out the door to watch the Stanley cup. Do you need to stop an let the Jeep cool down?? Somewhere I had heard no more than 200 miles then stop for 20 or 30 minutes.

There's no need to stop except for gas. Just make sure your automatic transmission is in PARK and the transfer case in Neutral while it is being flat towed. Yes your automatic transmission must be in Park while flat towing, and the tcase in Neutral. Really.
What's the purpose of the trans being in park ?

Reactions: DWR

What is the reason behind leaving it in park? As long as the transfer case is in neutral it shouldn't matter what the transmission is in. Unless it's for light functions?

Reactions: papasjeep
What's the purpose of the trans being in park ?

Answered here in Post #1:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-tow-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.2479/
Explained further in Post # 33 of that thread:

Kind of hard to write but the reason to place the auto in P and manual in gear is to keep them from spinning. Even though the tcase is in N, there can be some slow parasitic drag created within the tcase which in theory could spin the trans. The trans would not be lubed in that condition so placing them in P/gear creates enough resistance to keep them from moving. That is how I recall understanding it.

The Jerry seal of approval:

Very well done writeup, probably the best and most complete I've read. Thanks!

What is the reason behind leaving it in park? As long as the transfer case is in neutral it shouldn't matter what the transmission is in. Unless it's for light functions?
It prevents the transmission from being turned/spun when it's not receiving adequate lubrication as would happen from the input shaft continuing to spin it from parasitic drag. You can confirm the transmission needs to be in gear or in Park by reading your owner's manual instructions for flat towing.

When I had a slide in truck camper, 200 miles was the limit before she had me stop.
Now with a motorhome, she can just walk to the back!
No stopping required.