How many miles do you get from a full tank with your 4.0L?

Wombat

TJ Enthusiast
I know, some of you can't stand threads like this about the TJ and it's lack of economy but I'm interested in what others get compared to mine.

200,000 K's (120, miles) on the clock running a three inch lift, 33's, 4.56 with the NV3550 I get about 420 k's (260 miles) around town driving conservatively and about 360 k's (220 miles) if I drive it hard.

I'm about to fit up a 4.6 Golen in the next few months so I'll post up how my eco changes. I'm betting i can kiss my 400+ goodby when I do 📉

I'm on the Jeep forum also, and I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about mods or anything that would get me better gas mileage, with the main objective wanting to extend my fuel / travel range, not so much "fuel economy" as in saving $$. Said I would like to get 2-3 mpg better. Got a slew of responses that ranged from total assinine to good suggestions, with the overall consensus being that there is not much of anything that will get me what I am looking for. So one of the posters said that he noticed when he stopped buying "off brand" gas and went to name brand ( like Exxon , Shell etc... ) he noticed a increase. So I tried it out and posted my results.

One of the fellas posted that him and quite a number of his forum buddys think that I am lying on my #'s-- which I am not.

So I will post here also--I will add this caviot- I rarely let my tank go below half, and I have a 19 gallon tank I think. If I remember correctly most I have ever driven before a refill / top off was 175 miles. When I was buying the off brand I would get around 16-18 MPG, when I switched to the Name brand- I now get 20-21 MPG, with one time getting 19.—-

I know that there will be doubters but you might want to try it

I'm on 31's with the stock 3:07's & 5 speed-- and florida is relatively flat, hence not much driving up grades

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wombat
Nothing is wrong with doing such comparisons, this gives you baseline to compare against, which can reveal many things.

I base my range of where red E mark ends, which is 16.5 gallons.
Gross weight 4120 lb, 118k miles on the engine, 31.5" 4.56 NSG370 yields city 230 - 250 hw.

Full 19 gallons pushes it close to 300 miles, but i only gone into that territory twice. Unlike my other cars, that typically choke for another mile or two before shutting down without fuel, Jeep will stutter for few seconds and shut down without any other indicators that it was last drops of fuel.

I'm on the Jeep forum also, and I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about mods or anything that would get me better gas mileage, with the main objective wanting to extend my fuel / travel range, not so much "fuel economy" as in saving $$. Said I would like to get 2-3 mpg better. Got a slew of responses that ranged from total assinine to good suggestions, with the overall consensus being that there is not much of anything that will get me what I am looking for. So one of the posters said that he noticed when he stopped buying "off brand" gas and went to name brand ( like Exxon , Shell etc... ) he noticed a increase. So I tried it out and posted my results.

One of the fellas posted that him and quite a number of his forum buddys think that I am lying on my #'s-- which I am not.

So I will post here also--I will add this caviot- I rarely let my tank go below half, and I have a 19 gallon tank I think. If I remember correctly most I have ever driven before a refill / top off was 175 miles. When I was buying the off brand I would get around 16-18 MPG, when I switched to the Name brand- I now get 20-21 MPG, with one time getting 19.—-

ive seen results like this as well when I put BP gasoline compared to lesser known gas stations.. tire pressure can also help with your mpgs..

The TJ tank is typically know as the 200 mile (320 km) tank. I have 33s, manual transmission, D44s, a crap ton of armor, a roof rack, and heavy bumpers/tire carrier, rock rails, and I get about 210 miles (338 km) before the light comes on if I play nice.

I once drove from California to New Mexico (750 miles/1200 km) in a Jayco with a Triton V10 while towing the Jeep. (Notoriously terrible regarding fuel consumption) I made the same trip the following year in just my Jeep loaded up with gear and a buddy. Got the same gas mileage as the RV.

The below is an inside joke for those who drive California freeways.

20191220_180545_resized.jpg

Last edited:
35s, 4.56, and ax15. Typically 220 and the light comes on. A few weeks ago I chanced it and pushed on and got to 260 before I finally filled up. This was during a 900 mile trip and over the course of it I averaged 14.1. Best tank was 15.7, worst was 13.1

I rarely let my tank go below half,
I have noted a slight improvement running name brand and your right the octane will drop on a tank that's full of air, particularly if it's left sitting for awhile

Nothing is wrong with doing such comparisons, this gives you baseline to compare against, which can reveal many things.
:)

I base my range of where red E mark ends, which is 16.5 gallons.
Gross weight 4120 lb, 118k miles on the engine, 31.5" 4.56 NSG370 yields city 230 - 250 hw.
Again relative to my setup

Full 19 gallons pushes it close to 300 miles, but i only gone into that territory twice. Unlike my other cars, that typically choke for another mile or two before shutting down without fuel, Jeep will stutter for few seconds and shut down without any other indicators that it was last drops of fuel.
I once pushed my 97 auto to dame near empty and it started beeping, I cant remember exactly but it was like a few blocks of three or four short beeps, anyone else had that?

1999, 130,000 odometer, 4.0 with Cobra injectors/larger throttle body/ECM tune, 3.73s with 35s and 5” long arm lift, armor, winch, steel bumpers, full size spare with swing out arm, shovel, jerry can and mpg is 11. Always 11 (10.8 to 11.1) and I check it every time I fill. I weighed it full with me in it at 4420 lbs. 2020 lbs front axle and 2420 lbs drive axle. I drive 65mph hwy at 26 psi, 30 mph in the sand at 15 psi and 2 mph on the rocks haha. I drive a lot of mountainous also (Oregon)

A few times I've made it over 300 miles on a tank, with a safe amount of fuel to spare. Stock, 30s, 3.73 gears with the NV3550. Usually I sit around 17-18 mpg.

2006 TJR, 97k miles, NSG370, Banks turbo, 31.5s, 4.1s, heavy bumpers, winch, skid plates, hardtop, etc. Around town maybe 10.5 mpg. On the road maybe 13 mpg.

Last edited:
I fill my tank up at such random intervals and so rarely go until the light comes on that I have no idea. But, I do track my mileage and I was getting 15.3 on my 32's with a 5 speed and 3.73. I still don't have enough drive time with my 4.56's to know for sure but in 1000 miles it's been about 2 mpg better.

Reactions: Allstar424
There are a lot of threads on this...

The TJ is a brick, find something to draft. If not slow down. MPG drops by a solid 2-3 going from 65 to 75mph. More with a headwind.

I average around 16mpg, best was 22, worst around 13(not counting offroad) 2006, 6spd, 3.73

I'm on 31's with the stock 3:07's & 5 speed-- and florida is relatively flat, hence not much driving up grades

There are few of us here who had their Jeeps pushing 17-19 mpg range on 3.07, i was one of them.
Then, some mystery happened, and it dropped into typical 14 mpg range everyone else is in. I am yet to find the cause of it.
I have not tried any off-brands gasoline in the Jeep, for the reasons of having a bad experience with off-brands in previous vehicles. Cheaper unknown gas station have always given me cheaper performance. You think you will save yourself .15c on the gallon, but down the road when the needle is on E and you only driven half as far as you typically do with other gasoline, you realize that you just wasted $15 on air.

Best mod you can give yourself is a cruise control and go down in tire size. It is less about what you can do to it, and more about how you drive it and what you should stop doing to it.
Your numbers are a bit mystical, and consider the fact that you don't go below half a tank, i would double check the variables and math on them.

There are a lot of threads on this...

The TJ is a brick, find something to draft. If not slow down. MPG drops by a solid 2-3 going from 65 to 75mph. More with a headwind.

I average around 16mpg, best was 22, worst around 13(not counting offroad) 2006, 6spd, 3.73

I just did a FL-DC-FL trip, and tbh i have not noticed any significant difference from 65 to 80mph other than more oil leaks at +3000 rpm. A constant 14.1 - 14.5 range there and back.
What you say is used to be my experience, but now i don't even know what to think .... Mystery box on wheels strikes again 🤔

I don't understand the significance of comparing miles to tank. I doubt you are all filling up with the same amount of fuel left in the tank. Which is notorious for having the light come on way early, and not linearly. If you're not using the amount of fuel put in to calculate miles per gallon, then it's pointless.