how many miles is the factory water pump good for?

Dakota

Question, and I'm guessing it's been asked about 10,000 times on here. About how many miles is the factory water pump good for? 99, 4.0, 5spd, 160,000 miles. When it's time to do the water pump, is like older mopars, check and change the timing components.

What appears to be my stock pump is still going strong at 76k miles.

@Zhillslady Funny .... I just replaced mine at 134k too.. I'd say in my experience with water pumps, 125k-175k .. I am however having trouble stopping leak at radiator, I think i just need new clamp.. I have to tighten it every other day :/

I'm not sure what you mean by check and change timing components, but it's a very straight forward job. I think for the age and mileage you mentioned, it may be close to failing if it hasn't already. Or it could last several years longer. It varies quite a bit, but every car I have changed a water pump in was over 100,000 miles.

I have a 99 TJ 4.0L 5 Speed too...and I had to change my water pump at 55,000 miles...but then again the PO had not done any maintenance to it :bash: so I had to replace the Radiator, water pump and thermostat too...and judging by what's been said by other before me it varies allot.

I was thinking about this today actually. I'm going to drain and flush the coolant this weekend. Only 52k on it, but for peace of mind I don't want 13 year old cool flowing through my motor (Assuming it's never been done). Was thinking about doing the water pump while I'm at it, but decided against it due to the low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm holding strong at 150K. I have owned it since 39K, so I have kept up. Everything else in the cooling system has been replaced cept the water pump and fan clutch.

2004 replace at 65K. Pump looked real good. Just seal leak. Coolant looked OK, but unknown how long it had been in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working in the Repair industry we see a great variance in the life of water pumps. Some pack up at 60,000 (rare) other like one of our company box trucks had 325,000 before it died in a Glorious fashion. Most we see anymore can go around 150-200k. It is also better if you can buy a new replacement vs. a rebuilt. We see more issues with rebuilt pumps than anything else.

Working in the Repair industry we see a great variance in the life of water pumps. Some pack up at 60,000 (rare) other like one of our company box trucks had 325,000 before it died in a Glorious fashion. Most we see anymore can go around 150-200k. It is also better if you can buy a new replacement vs. a rebuilt. We see more issues with rebuilt pumps than anything else.
My theory on why some get more miles out of water pumps has to do with the condition of the coolant. Coolants not only lower freezing points and raise boiling points, they also contain corrosion inhibitors and a lubricant for the water pump. Regular coolant changes at the proper intervals will do a lot toward extending the life of a water pump.

+1
Preventive Maintenance (PMS) is the key to logevity in any mechanical system. A rigorous maintenance scheme will prevent a lot of expensive issues and discover problems before they cause things to fail. A good PMS is cheaper in the long haul as well.

We could use a thread on PMS! :meparto:

Reactions: StG58
How often should I change my coolant?
That depends on the coolant. Some are long-life, others are not.

For a good quality long-life coolant like Zerex G-05, its recommended change interval is every five years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. Check your coolant type to know what it recommends.

Reactions: JimT and StG58
Just changed the pump, fan clutch, pulleys, belt, hoses, tstat, rad cap on mine at 125k

Pump looked GREAT, pulleys were worn pretty bad, fan clutch had seen better days, cap had a cut in the rubber. The key in all that changing is getting ALL the old gasket off the block. That's a LOT of scraping! And don't get lazy and try and use a die grinder or wire brush!!