How many mpg do you get?

200 mile trip today, all highway. I averaged about 19 mpg which isn't bad all things considered.

Under geared for my tires, I average about 13 in the city and not much better on the highway due to my . But as the saying goes, I'll never tell people about that time I got 33+ mpg's:cool:

Reactions: Chris
I'm surprised at how well my TJ did mpg wise on a 400 mile trip. I can't be for sure, but I think the 4.88 gears slightly helped my mpg.

I'm surprised at how well my TJ did mpg wise on a 400 mile trip. I can't be for sure, but I think the 4.88 gears slightly helped my mpg.
Gearing definitely helps. It gets it back to stock ratio of gears to tires. Less effort to get up to speed and your final drive gear doesn't make the engine work as hard. When I get on the highway, I might as well blackout the little 5 on my gear shift, because the transmission rarely ever sees it.

And let's be honest, when you drive a brick, pretty much anything can help the gas mileage.

Reactions: Frank
Yep, the Jeep Wrangler is like a barn driving sideways down the highway in regards to aerodynamics.

Still, with 33" tires and all the extra weight I have on it, at 4.88 gears with the 42RLE transmission it's literally perfect on the highway. So many people were telling me to go with 5.38 or other gears, but it was @Jerry Bransford that educated me on the fact that there was no if, ands or buts that 4.88 gears were the ideal gear ratio for the 42RLE with 33" tires.

Glad I listened to that advice! I'll have to track my MPG, but I drove 200 miles through the mountains with a full tank, and when I made it there I was only a hair below half a tank.

That's pretty good! And Jerry is definitely the man when it comes to knowing what gears work for all the different setups. After doing some research, I'll be going with 4.88's as well. I thought that it would be too low, but after reading several posts from him, as well as other forum members, I know that's the right ratio for me. Can't wait to pull the trigger on a set.

If you have an auto tranny and 33" tires 4.88 is the way to go. It puts you right where you want to be at highway cruising speeds.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Same with the wimpy 4 banger and AX-5

Yes I wish I had a 4.0. But, I got the Jeep when I was about 2 months from turning 15 and in Mississippi at the time, when you were 15, you could drive by yourself after having a learners permit for a few months…which was crazy now that I think about it. It had been on the lot less than 24 hours when my parents bought it. Pretty good deal for my area at $8,000 and only 57,000 miles. And for that, I will forever be thankful. When I'm done with school, I plan on buying it from them for exactly what they paid for it plus some if I can, to say thank you.
*Sob story over, back to your regularly scheduled programming*

Hey, you can always put a supercharger or turbo on that thing. Or you could swap in a Cummins ;)

A 4bt would be sweet! My buddy's uncle builds hot rods as well as trucks and has done quite a few diesel swaps. When it comes time to consider an engine swap, Cummins as well as an LS will be on the list. But I'm not gonna kid myself, that'll be 7-10 years down the road if it ever happens.