How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

Thank you sir!!! I'm going to try it over the weekend. My boys (12 & 6) will love doing this.

you're welcome, post up some photos when you're done. My kids (pushing 30) probably ate 1000 of these growing up, they are an absolute smashing success every time I make them & they're so easy.

Just remember, don't be shy with the olive oil, you literally want to coat the bottom well & roll the pan around to get the oil a little ways up the sides too before placing the dough in for the second rise, you cannot put too much in, what'll happen is the bottom will basically fry in the oil making a crispy & really great tasting crust which will also prevent the oil from soaking in too far, so if you've over done it with the oil it'll still be in the pan when you remove the finished pizza. However if you under-do it you may end up with a sticking problem...

Another tip, if you want to dial in more specific times you can pop the rising dough into the warming drawer of your oven or into the oven with the light on, that'll get it rising faster than the au naturel method which can range greatly in time

Happy Easter! one of the better ones I’ve made, on the smoker for about 13 hours overnight. Nothing like that 4am alarm to get up, wrap it, and head back to sleep. Mac and cheese, corn bread pudding, yeast rolls, and broccoli salad for sides

IMG_2949.jpeg

I've been reading up a bit about fast cooking brisket. Worst part of the slow cook is the 3-4am wakeup. Many people say they cook at 275 - 300 and turns out great. Not sure if I'm ready to try it or not. I also tried butcher paper once and was not happy.

I've been reading up a bit about fast cooking brisket. Worst part of the slow cook is the 3-4am wakeup. Many people say they cook at 275 - 300 and turns out great. Not sure if I'm ready to try it or not. I also tried butcher paper once and was not happy.

I cooked at 245 +\- 10 degrees for most of the cook, then bumped it closer to 275 when it hit a second mini stall around 185 this morning. Lunch was closing in and had to get-er-done

I’m with you, I see those hot and fast cooks online, but I’m always worried about drying it out

I cooked at 245 +\- 10 degrees for most of the cook, then bumped it closer to 275 when it hit a second mini stall around 185 this morning. Lunch was closing in and had to get-er-done

I’m with you, I see those hot and fast cooks online, but I’m always worried about drying it out

I never tried it with a brisket but it works like a charm for ribs; a/k/a 'turbo ribs', let it rip at 350 indirect for about 90 minutes, you can do a straight 90 or 60 then foil for 30 minutes which is what I do. I can't tell the difference between them and 5 hour low & slow ribs. Briskets & butts are much thicker so I'm not sure it'd translate as well, but people swear by it so it's prolly worth a shot.

The above works well for baby backs, St. Louis would need more time given their size/density

Reactions: lBasket and B252

I've ran it around 300 and found the meat had more of a roast beef type of flavor.
Found below 275 it has the "brisket" flavor I'm looking for. Both are still pretty darn good though.

I never tried it with a brisket but it works like a charm for ribs; a/k/a 'turbo ribs', let it rip at 350 indirect for about 90 minutes, you can do a straight 90 or 60 then foil for 30 minutes which is what I do. I can't tell the difference between them and 5 hour low & slow ribs. Briskets & butts are much thicker so I'm not sure it'd translate as well, but people swear by it so it's prolly worth a shot.

The above works well for baby backs, St. Louis would need more time given their size/density

I tend to cook everything at 245 or less, reason being that on my MAK the way the variable speed fan works I get max smoke at 245 or below start going above that and I'll get less smoke or I would cook ribs at 275 or so.

I almost always do St Louis style and still kind of use the 3-2-1 but shorten it with higher temps. I think it is better than 225, I probably shoot for 275-300. Damn price of ribs though!

My hot rod went out, wouldn't heat any pellets. Pulled it out (very difficult) and once it was in my hand it was clear the hot rod was bent. Freeze/thaw maybe? Put in a new one, and then my auger wouldn't work.

Took it apart just now and gave it a very good and thorough cleaning. Vacuumed, air compressor, wire brush. The thing was absolutely filthy. But it's fired up and everything is working. Think my auger was jammed somehow.

20240405_184613.jpg

What do you all think of vertical pellet smokers? I found this one yesterday and at $750 it would be on order if it was in stock.

https://www.grillagrills.com/product/4001294

Buddy of mine has been using one for 7+ years and it turns out great product. 20 years ago I had a vertical style charcoal grill that I would smoke things in with absolutely great results. Only got rid of it as age got the best of it, it was probably 10+ years old when I got it. In my opinion, a smoker is a smoker, regardless of shape/size. Its all about how you use it. Hell, I use to smoke ribs on a $20 Walmart charcoal grill back in the day, that were just as good as the ones I cook on a "designated smoker."

Reactions: B252
I'm not even sure pellet smokers were on the market when I got my Kamado Joe but I am over messing with vents and monitoring temps.

I like my Masterbuilt 800 charcoal gravity feed, total set and forget. It can be a charcoal hog though and I am sure the materials used won't go 10 years but I stole it for under $300. When I need a new one, I will probably go with a Recteq pellet of some sort.

I like my Masterbuilt 800 charcoal gravity feed, total set and forget. It can be a charcoal hog though and I am sure the materials used won't go 10 years but I stole it for under $300. When I need a new one, I will probably go with a Recteq pellet of some sort.

My brother in law threw his Traeger in the trash and got a Recteq. He loves it.

My brother in law threw his Traeger in the trash and got a Recteq. He loves it.

I have a Recteq RT700 and its pretty sweet. Though did have a mishap this weekend with it. We had strong winds on Saturday and while I was outside with the dog playing fetch, I heard a crashing sound. Turns out I didn't lock the wheels and the wind blew my Recteq off the deck and down the stairs. Luckily it was only 3 stairs. After I got it back on the deck, the only damage I could find was a small bend in my hopper lid. Turned it on and let it run to make sure all was good, thing is definitely built like a tank.

• Wow
Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
I have a Recteq RT700 and its pretty sweet. Though did have a mishap this weekend with it. We had strong winds on Saturday and while I was outside with the dog playing fetch, I heard a crashing sound. Turns out I didn't lock the wheels and the wind blew my Recteq off the deck and down the stairs. Luckily it was only 3 stairs. After I got it back on the deck, the only damage I could find was a small bend in my hopper lid. Turned it on and let it run to make sure all was good, thing is definitely built like a tank.

While reading this I was thinking the smoker was going and your brisket dumped out into the yard.

• Haha
Reactions: MaximusLJR06
What do you all think of vertical pellet smokers? I found this one yesterday and at $750 it would be on order if it was in stock.

https://www.grillagrills.com/product/4001294

I just got one of their Silverbac barrels. So far really happy with it, built heavy and great flavor. Would would be thinking about that vertical to replace my vertical propane for sausage if I was in the market.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper