How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

Got a DoJoe for my Kamado for Christmas. This was my first attempt, can’t wait to try again.

D5BAE555-8FA5-4729-8B2B-E9FE36B563D7.jpeg

I just picked up a Camp Chef Pellet Grill. I like dialing in temperature. I need to cheat when cooking and I like smoke. I have an electric smoker with cold smoke attachment and regularly make lox that I smoke to finish, so I can't do away with that smoker.

I often make summer sausage as well and the pellet grill is a bit more roomy as well when I do a large batch of 25+ lbs. This model has 811 sq ft grill area, which should be good for deer shoulders and stuff too. This model has an easy ash clean-out I like and since just setting it up, it helped with getting the pellets fed properly. I just ran the feed until pellets fell into the cup, tossed those back in the hopper and then started it up.

I'm really interested in this model, because you can move a plate out of the way for the indirect heat and then grill over a small direct flame in the center, so hopefully I can get a good sear/reverse sear without pulling out a camping stove or something.

I like most of the pellet grills and almost got a super cheap one, but decided to up the game a bit, just in hopes of a reliable feed/controller. Traeger, Reqtec and others look really good too, but I had trouble finding anything when I made my order and though I was going to get the Camp Chef Woodwind model, it wasn't in stock and this made for Amazon model was a couple hundred bucks cheaper with all of the same features, but only 2 less temp probes, which is fine, since I'm stocked up already on those.

I haven't cooked on this thing yet but hopefully tonight I'll make my first deer steak, followed by a deer shoulder tomorrow night.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I just picked up a Camp Chef Pellet Grill. I like dialing in temperature. I need to cheat when cooking and I like smoke. I have an electric smoker with cold smoke attachment and regularly make lox that I smoke to finish, so I can't do away with that smoker.

I often make summer sausage as well and the pellet grill is a bit more roomy as well when I do a large batch of 25+ lbs. This model has 811 sq ft grill area, which should be good for deer shoulders and stuff too. This model has an easy ash clean-out I like and since just setting it up, it helped with getting the pellets fed properly. I just ran the feed until pellets fell into the cup, tossed those back in the hopper and then started it up.

I'm really interested in this model, because you can move a plate out of the way for the indirect heat and then grill over a small direct flame in the center, so hopefully I can get a good sear/reverse sear without pulling out a camping stove or something.

I like most of the pellet grills and almost got a super cheap one, but decided to up the game a bit, just in hopes of a reliable feed/controller. Traeger, Reqtec and others look really good too, but I had trouble finding anything when I made my order and though I was going to get the Camp Chef Woodwind model, it wasn't in stock and this made for Amazon model was a couple hundred bucks cheaper with all of the same features, but only 2 less temp probes, which is fine, since I'm stocked up already on those.

I haven't cooked on this thing yet but hopefully tonight I'll make my first deer steak, followed by a deer shoulder tomorrow night.
If you want more smoke flavor than the grill can produce ass an amaz-n tube or tray

https://amazenproducts.com/
also join /www.smokingmeatforums.com that is smoking equavalent to this site, super nice people

If you want more smoke flavor than the grill can produce ass an amaz-n tube or tray

https://amazenproducts.com/
also join /www.smokingmeatforums.com that is smoking equavalent to this site, super nice people
One of my wife's friends got me something like that. I plan to use it when I'm out in the truck or Jeep to spice up some meals.

I've also thought about using that when doing lox in the PG without adding too much heat. I'll have to play around with it. I've messed with low smoking meats for more than a decade now and still feel like I'm just learning.

Btw almost all my focus is on cooking wild game meats. I do get some pork very occasionally but normally just to use the fatty pork for combining with game meat for sausage. We do get chicken pretty regularly and fish that we can't catch locally. Literally probably 99% of my red meat is from deer me or a family member harvested from our farms and I butchered.

I really want to build a little smoke house and make country hams and bacon like my grandfather used to make when my dad was a kid.

Trying my hand at wings tonight. These soaked overnight in a brine of water, red pepper, garlic, salt, thyme and brown sugar. Rub is brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika

20210111_163333.jpg

I've got pretty good at steaks and burgers. So this is new for me!

I made these guys for the super bowl.

jalapeño filled with cream cheese, cheddar, bacon , and rub

wrapped in country sausage coated in MeatChurch rub.

Smoked over charcoal and pecan @250 for about 3 hours. Sauced towards the end.

They were great
749FA961-AAF3-4481-8466-29B02D25BF3A.jpeg 3EFB56DA-A4D5-4D12-8E71-554CD25B7513.jpeg F48D6EFA-545F-4640-88FD-3A365E08C145.jpeg

Last edited:
I made these guys for the super bowl.

jalapeño filled with cream cheese, cheddar, bacon , and rub

wrapped in country sausage coated in MeatChurch rub.

Smoked over charcoal and pecan @250 for about 3 hours

They were great
View attachment 226581 View attachment 226583 View attachment 226584
I enjoy bacon wrapped jalapeños but I hate making them.

I prefer to cut the jalapeño lengthways to make two boats, pack them full of cream cheese and sprinkle with Dillo dust, grill or smoke depending on how I’m setup.

I enjoy bacon wrapped jalapeños but I hate making them.

I prefer to cut the jalapeño lengthways to make two boats, pack them full of cream cheese and sprinkle with Dillo dust, grill or smoke depending on how I’m setup.
I read that quick I'm thinking dildo dust?? Sounds like Stevie is grilling.

I read that quick I'm thinking dildo dust?? Sounds like Stevie is grilling.
I know the feeling the other day I commented on DrDmoney about why he needed new socks, when he actually said needed new shocks. Worst part is I can't blame it on my phone changing my text message wording 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
I was canning hot peppers one time without gloves and went to the bathroom after and you can guess how that went...
Heard a story of a guy who went out and ate hot wings then came home and fingered the girlfriend, guessing your experience went better than that.