How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

Has anyone ever done this with a ribeye right on the campfire embers? This was on the Trail Recon/LiteBrite tube channel. View attachment 97641View attachment 97642
I've done a fair bit of campfire cooking, but never just tossed the meat on embers like that. The ash would get all over it, I'd think. I've done tater's wrapped in foil, Soups in a dutch oven, and even build a stove to grill over a camp fire, similar to the pizza picture I had earlier. I like experimenting. :)

Reactions: MikeM and DrDmoney
I've done a fair bit of campfire cooking, but never just tossed the meat on embers like that. The ash would get all over it, I'd think. I've done tater's wrapped in foil, Soups in a dutch oven, and even build a stove to grill over a camp fire, similar to the pizza picture I had earlier. I like experimenting. :)
I thought the same thing too but they said it didn’t.

I'll give my method of reverse sear: I choose thick steak, I prefer ribeye at least 1.5 inches but really 2 inches. Slow cook over indirect heat either in oven (winter) or low grill (summer). I use a digital thermometer to raise the meat to 120 degrees (works for me) over the low heat. Then sear on my infrared grill as hot as I can get it. The sear part does not take long at all. Not only does it taste great but it takes the guesswork out of how far to cook.

Reactions: DrDmoney
i set the rec tec at 180....let it smoke for an hour or longer....once it hits 118 degrees, i pull the steak and crank up the rectec to max, once it hits 500+ degrees i return the steak to the sear grates that I have in the rectec......

Louisiana pellet grill. I don't own one (Traeger and two Webbers here) but a coworker does and IMO it's better than a Traeger.
https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/wood-pellet/

I found this interesting about the LG’s
BA484ABE-81B1-4EA1-A92F-53ED62844342.png

Ive had gas and went back to charcoal and a Webber. You cant beat the taste of charcoal. For Smoking, I use an old style 2 barrel. Hot box holds real wood and I don't mind manning it. I smoke on Sundays. I call it my 4B day. Beer, Bbq, Blues and Bible. I keep looking at a unit that uses the pellets and is automated, but just cant get over the hump. It would be nice for some of the bigger pieces of meat that require a long time to cook.

Reactions: qslim and DrDmoney
I'll give my method of reverse sear: I choose thick steak, I prefer ribeye at least 1.5 inches but really 2 inches. Slow cook over indirect heat either in oven (winter) or low grill (summer). I use a digital thermometer to raise the meat to 120 degrees (works for me) over the low heat. Then sear on my infrared grill as hot as I can get it. The sear part does not take long at all. Not only does it taste great but it takes the guesswork out of how far to cook.
Try smoking to that temp and then sear. OMG! What a great steak. Im a Ribeye fan also.

Ive had gas and went back to charcoal and a Webber. You cant beat the taste of charcoal. For Smoking, I use an old style 2 barrel. Hot box holds real wood and I don't mind manning it. I smoke on Sundays. I call it my 4B day. Beer, Bbq, Blues and Bible. I keep looking at a unit that uses the pellets and is automated, but just cant get over the hump. It would be nice for some of the bigger pieces of meat that require a long time to cook.
it took me a little bit to take the leap into pellet grills but i'll never go back now.

Reactions: Ericict
My issue is that I already have a grill tied into my house with natural gas and a separate smoker. I am putting up a house in PA where I thought a pellet grill might be nice but it will go months without use and then all the pellets need to be removed.

My issue is that I already have a grill tied into my house with natural gas and a separate smoker. I am putting up a house in PA where I thought a pellet grill might be nice but it will go months without use and then all the pellets need to be removed.

there's a door to dump the pellets out of the hopper in the back,. i regularly dump and change to different types of wood pellets for different flavors of smoke.

there's a door to dump the pellets out of the hopper in the back,. i regularly dump and change to different types of wood pellets for different flavors of smoke.
OK, that might be a Traeger thing, I have read reviews of others that they have to dismantle to clean out hopper. Still doing research on a bunch of brands.