How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

I do have a nice gas grill that I use frequently also. Just a couple of filets tonight.

IMG_6500.JPG

El Cheapo Gas grill that we replace every couple years, and a Primo Kamado. Primo is a ceramic like BGE but is built in GA. Won it a Home Show about 6 years ago. Gas grill for 90% of gatherings or quick cooks. Primo for smoking and quality steaks. Get that Primo loaded and open bottom and top vents, close lid, when the temp gets to 700 I throw on the steaks, close the lid and flip after about 2 minutes then remove and let sit after 2 more. Perfect Med Rare 2" steaks.

I got one of those octagon stainless steel pellet smoker tubes. I like it added a ton of smoke when I was smoking pork.

I'm cooking a brisket tonight I'm going to try it with that.

Reactions: Apparition
I'm going to join the real lazy BBQ'r club. Pellet smoker ordered.

Looking forward to having a rectangular cooking surface and not round.
which one did you get? As I am replacing parts on my gasser i am almost hoping it would be beyond repair. Would give me an excuse to get a reqtec bull. Although not sure a pellet smoker could full replace a gasser for just dogs and burgers?

which one did you get? As I am replacing parts on my gasser i am almost hoping it would be beyond repair. Would give me an excuse to get a reqtec bull. Although not sure a pellet smoker could full replace a gasser for just dogs and burgers?
MAK 2 star general. Everything I've read says it's amazing. Still keeping the XL BGE so I'll have options.

• Love
Reactions: DuncLJ and cliffish
oh you went for the Gusto! Let us know how it is after the 4 week lead time and you finally get to use it a few times.
Oh and one other thing. All US made even the controller. I saw a review where they send a full set of hex wrenches that are proudly US made in order to assemble it. Also helped my decision.

The front runners were RecTeq, Yoder, Pitts and Spitts and MAK.

RecTeq is well regarded but fully Chinese made.
Yoders tend to Rust but I liked the built in Fireboard
Pitts and Spitts appears very well made but was almost as much as the MAK without the history of the MAK
The MAK is the one they say puts out smoke like a stick burner and has quality to be a hand me down, a warranty for it too.

1618946835089.png

Last edited:
I have a Camp Chef Woodwind 24. It's been really good and some of the meat smoked on it has been fantastic. The main limitation has not been the smoker but my know-how with rubs, etc. The temperature controller and the wi-fi connection are very good and really helpful when smoking in the winter.

I recently added a Camp Chef Pursuit 20 to my motorhome experience. It is also fantastic. It did a full-on brisket no problem. In fact quicker than the bigger grill.

I also have an Weber propane grill that is a good complement.

Retirement is going to include very good food.