How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

View attachment 270676Ordered a Big Green Egg last week and got it today! Got a chicken on slowly cooking at 300° and it’s smelling really good. Gonna put some ribs on tomorrow and see how that does. It’s holding temp really great. I think I’m going to like it better than the treager I had and the stick burner too.
I love my BGE, it never dries out food. The juiciest meats all the time. Great looking setup.

What made my egg even better was a fan controller for the really long smokes.
I have a Kamado Joe, just like BGE. Recently I have thought that if I was starting from scratch I would get a Treager. I even considered selling the Kamado Joe to get a pellet grill but have let that go for now.

And I could not get my fan controller to work right so I returned it. Funny how one persons experience is so much different than another.

I have a Kamado Joe, just like BGE. Recently I have thought that if I was starting from scratch I would get a Treager. I even considered selling the Kamado Joe to get a pellet grill but have let that go for now.

And I could not get my fan controller to work right so I returned it. Funny how one persons experience is so much different than another.
I think there's a lot of difference in the controllers too. Mine for my egg you can't get anymore but works great.

The controller on my MAK is also very good but you really couldn't have a pellet grill without one.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
As with any electronics they are not 100%. I had the Fireboard controlled fan. It was ok but not great, I could see it running the fan even when the temperature was already 15 or so degrees above set temp. Other times when I increased the set temp it took a very very long time to get to the new temperature. The last straw was when I got home and the screen on the controller was completely blank during a cook and not running the fan at all. It appeared to be dead. I was not all that disappointed because then I had a good reason to get my money back. I removed it and went to normal means to control temperature for the rest of the day. The next day it appeared to be just fine. When I contacted the company they were able to access the history and said it was going through a forced firmware update when my screen was blank. What company forces a firmware update on a product designed for a smoker on a Sunday afternoon!?!?

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Brisket is nearly there so I threw on my first attempt at Dutch’s wicked baked beans

49C58C91-FD42-437E-BBF5-EFEBC9D6F0FE.jpeg

I have cooked several briskets and still know about 1% of how to do it. The only one I ever did not wrap in anything was dry. Really hoping yours is fantastic.
First on the pellet so I wanted to start off with a baseline. If needed I’ll change one thing at a time going forward.

I’m convinced you can’t make anything dry on my BGE.

I have cooked several briskets and still know about 1% of how to do it. The only one I ever did not wrap in anything was dry. Really hoping yours is fantastic.
Brisket flat was a bit dry, wrapping or raising it in the cook chamber will help.

Point was very juicy but was also protected more from the radiant heat as it cooked. And is by nature more juicy anyway.

Will try more briskets when I can them reasonably priced.

That's tits. My dad was a Weber master when I was a kid, just had a knack for it. He could sizzle some steaks or smoke a brisket for 12 hours on that thing. He passed when I was a teenager, & I'm certain he's looking down with disappointment at my pellet grill with all my bluetooth probes & timers lol.
I may have to ask you to come over and show me how to correctly use my smoker! Oh and I live less than 1/2 mile from the range…

I haven't done a brisket since Christmas, so this one was overdue.
Here is the evolution of today's smoke:

Fresh from the meat market, prices are going crazy. ($6.99 a lb. I'm used to paying $4 and change)
PXL_20210901_192812178~2.jpg

Trimmed and rubbed
PXL_20210901_194753562~2.jpg

On the smoker
PXL_20210902_175848943~3.jpg

8 hours later
PXL_20210903_012827507~2.jpg

Dinner is served
PXL_20210903_013258020~2.jpg

Last edited: