How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

I may build an ugly drum smoker and insulate it...I think that insulation is the key to consistent heat. Also a good sealed door and that expensive air pump that uses a thermistor to regulate the air into the charcoal. Not cheap or easy, but I think it would make an excellent smoker. It's like a jeep, good smokers are built, not bought!

• Haha
Reactions: MikeM and DrDmoney
I may build an ugly drum smoker and insulate it...I think that insulation is the key to consistent heat. Also a good sealed door and that expensive air pump that uses a thermistor to regulate the air into the charcoal. Not cheap or easy, but I think it would make an excellent smoker. It's like a jeep, good smokers are built, not bought!
look up the mailbox mod for a smoker...I have been going on smokingmeatforum.com and those guys are as serious with smoking as some are here with the TJ. The moderator has over a 1,000,000 posts so @Chris better step up his game!

I've been using my traeger from a while now and it's one of the best things that I have spent money on.

20161208_175001.jpg

20170303_203348.jpg

20170503_203911.jpg

IMG_20180824_213308.jpg

IMG_20181122_214912.jpg

IMG_20181206_195241.jpg

IMG_20190307_213246.jpg

IMG_20190307_220729.jpg

IMG_20190426_224649.jpg

I have a cheap chargriller with cast iron grates for grilling and side fire box for smoking. It's tired, but like the tj it's 20+ years old. I don't do a lot of smoking lately, but there's nothing but lump charcoal or wood chunks burned here. Everyday (3 or 4 times a week) is kroger (probably oak). Occasionally mesquite (el diablo brand). Kingsford seems to be at least 25% sand. The ashes are much smaller when using real lump, even kroger brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney and MikeM
I have a cheap chargriller with cast iron grates for grilling and side fire box for smoking. It's tired, but like the tj it's 20+ years old. I don't do a lot of smoking lately, but there's nothing but lump charcoal or wood chunks burned here. Everyday (3 or 4 times a week) is kroger (probably oak). Occasionally mesquite (el diablo brand). Kingsford seems to be at least 25% sand. The ashes are much smaller when using real lump, even kroger brand.

Kingsford doesnt use sand, they have just a manufacturing process that is different than other manufacturers. Kingsford actually wins a lot of competitions for BBQ and smokers. Tim

Reactions: DrDmoney