How many of you think you'll have your TJ for life?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I was thinking about this today. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned (and it's been a lot), including all the cool ones, not one vehicle has ever brought me the satisfaction that my TJ does, not even any of my motorcycles.

Now whole unforeseen circumstances can always happen, I am confident in saying that unless something like that haopens, I will own my TJ until I die (and then the kids will get it).

What do you guys think? Are any of you as hardcore about your TJ as I am?

Without doubt, my TJ has been the coolest vehicle I've owned.
I've always loved the appearance of a Jeep but i never had the approval of my wife mainly due to children and simply not into the JKU scene.
Now that I'm older I'm making up time as I'm constantly looking for an excuse to hop in the TJ.
Yes, hoping this one lasts me a lifetime.

Hah! This is a question that I think about all the time. I've had a few vehicles, but my TJ by far has been my favorite. Hell I've driven it every single day since I bought it brand new in 2005. I have a LOT of sentimental value, plus a shit load of money, wrapped in it.

Since I now have a family, my TJ isn't practical for us. Nor is it economical. My wife's 2012 Grand Cherokee is the family vehicle, and we are really racking the miles up on it. Plus we're still making payments on it....

I can't afford to just go out and buy another vehicle to take the stress of her's. So, the only way I could get another vehicle is to sell the TJ. And around here, I bet I could get $13K-$15K for it. I'd have to put another $5k to get a decent vehicle though, and it would most likely be a 4-door truck.

But there's NOTHING wrong with my TJ. Sure, I haven't changed out the OPDA yet, but at 104,000 miles, I'm pretty sure I'm safe. The TJ is just fun to drive. Plus its fun to put money INTO it.

The TJ is a damned curse. It's not economical, it's not practical. But dammit it's so much fun.

I plan to keep this one until I cannot drive anymore, then give it to my daughter. I've lost track of the number of Jeeps I've owned, but this one by far is my favorite. At the rate I put miles on it, it will take me 10 years to get to 50k...

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I've wanted a Jeep since I was a kid, so when I needed a new vehicle I settled pretty quickly on getting the TJ. It isn't the most practical, but I love it anyways. We agreed that it would be my daily driver for now and then I'd get something else to drive on a daily basis in a few years.

Problem is, I don't want to get something else to drive. I think if we decide to have another kiddo I'll be forced to get something different because I won't be able to get into the TJ all big and pregnant. In any case, we're keeping the TJ for camping and projects no matter what. Also, my dad has already promised it to my son (who is currently 2), so I'm afraid neither of them will forgive me if I don't keep it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice thing about our TJs too, I don't think they'll ever really go down that much in value.

Hmmm. That's a good question,Chris.

I could see owing one for life, but if I had to choose between the TJ and my Harley...

I've got a TJ and Harley. I love them both, but oddly enough, I enjoy driving the TJ a bit more. I think it's because I can take the entire family along in the TJ, so it becomes a family affair!

Reactions: tman66 and StG58
I was thinking about this yesterday on my way to the gym. I was driving my new to me 05' Rubicon and thought why not just make this my daily driver. I have a 17' grand cherokee limited that is collecting dust at the moment. Hard to justify both vehicles right now when this tj is so fun to drive. Decisions...decisions lol

My TJ stays with me til the end. I only have one other vehicle that holds a candle to it. It was my first. A '76 Chevy Stepside 4x4 Scottsdale. It had the SM465 transmissoin and could climb anything and it is how I learned to wheel back in the day. Black with vinyl seats and no A/C in the Georgia summer. Those were the days.

Hmmm. That's a good question,Chris.

I could see owing one for life, but if I had to choose between the TJ and my Harley...

I had a Harley too. Sold it a long time ago. I've thought of picking up another one, but man with all the idiots on the road who like to text and drive.....a topless TJ is a lot safer and a lot more fun.

I could see us being lifers. My wife likes it as much as I do, and being this is a third vehicle for us the small size is of no consequence.

Reactions: JMT
I had a Harley too. Sold it a long time ago. I've thought of picking up another one, but man with all the idiots on the road who like to text and drive.....a topless TJ is a lot safer and a lot more fun.
Ditto, but my ride was an old vf100r honda.

Since we got this jeep its the first summer where I have not missed riding.

I'm pretty sure that I'll have a TJ for life. Maybe not this TJ, but a TJ. I tend to wear a vehicle out, as in you don't want to buy a used car from me. So the the little blue TJ may not last me the rest of my life. But I will have a Wrangler. By the time this one wears out, who knows? Maybe a TJR or, horrors, a JKR if I can find one with half doors.

It's not really the Jeep totally, it's the Jeeple.

Reactions: UpperMI and JP98
Hah! This is a question that I think about all the time. I've had a few vehicles, but my TJ by far has been my favorite. Hell I've driven it every single day since I bought it brand new in 2005. I have a LOT of sentimental value, plus a shit load of money, wrapped in it.

Since I now have a family, my TJ isn't practical for us. Nor is it economical. My wife's 2012 Grand Cherokee is the family vehicle, and we are really racking the miles up on it. Plus we're still making payments on it....

I can't afford to just go out and buy another vehicle to take the stress of her's. So, the only way I could get another vehicle is to sell the TJ. And around here, I bet I could get $13K-$15K for it. I'd have to put another $5k to get a decent vehicle though, and it would most likely be a 4-door truck.

But there's NOTHING wrong with my TJ. Sure, I haven't changed out the OPDA yet, but at 104,000 miles, I'm pretty sure I'm safe. The TJ is just fun to drive. Plus its fun to put money INTO it.

The TJ is a damned curse. It's not economical, it's not practical. But dammit it's so much fun.

With the mods I have:

4" savvy/currie suspension
aluminum double adjustable control arms
aluminum currie anti-rock
currie front and rear adjustable track bar
currie currentlync steering
SYE with Tom Woods rear driveshaft
New front driveshaft
Rokmen rear spring perch re-locator
rokmen mercenary front bumper
Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper tire carrier/swing
Rokmen rock sliders
Rokmen trail corners
Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels
33x12.5 BFG KO2's with 4,000 miles on them
Dana 44
5.13 gearing
Brand new Bestop Supertop NX black twill
Bartact front and rear seat covers

I like to think I could sell it easy, and get more money out of any other TJ out there. But then again, why sell it with all the mods I have done to it?

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Id probably only sell mine off for an auto TJ. The manual is a great time but can be a PITA when heading into Manhattan or stuck in typical metro traffic. Currently living in the NE, As long as I've got a garage, I plan on keeping my TJ or owning a TJ for the duration of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For life? I think that's pretty unreasonable. I'm in my forties now. I see my father in his mid seventies slowing down quite a bit with his. Do I see myself in say another forty years driving a 56 year old vehicle? No, I can't say that I do.

No kidding man, no kidding. I always feel scared riding these days. So many idiots texting and driving, it's just asking for trouble.