How many of you think you'll have your TJ for life?

My eldest daughter has already told me I cant sell Bruiser...as she wants it once I'm done with it..But she knows deep down I'll never be done with it. lol....If and when I upgrade it'll be to another TJ just newer, a Rubi would be nice.

Reactions: Travis and StG58
I seldom get rid of vehicles except for the wife's SUV which we tend to trade in every 120,000 miles or so. So I have a few different vehicles to choose from to drive. I have only had my 2000 Sahara since April, even though it had several things wrong with it when I bought it, It quickly became my favorite vehicle. I am a bit grumpy when I have it apart waiting for parts and can't drive it. For the most part it is easy to work on, parts are available, I can see no reason to ever get rid of it. I put A/C in it a month ago, which was a big improvement for summer driving here where it often goes over 100 degrees. I was surprised to find a complete all the nuts and bolts A/C kit available. The company said 8 to 10 hours. Took me more like 16, but I am methodical (old). At first I was keen on an v8 swap, but the more I drive it around the more I have come to like the 4.0. Can't imagine what I would replace it with.

B

Reactions: StG58 and JMT
I sold my '94 Ford Ranger last year. 303,000 miles. #bittersweet

I bought my '05 LJ with the intent to never part with it. I don't understand people who trade in vehicles every 3 years.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I don't know if i'll have this current TJ for life, but I can honestly say, I will never buy any other vehicle.
This is it for me. I just think I might prefer an LJ.

But what are you all gonna do when you are longer allowed to drive it on public roads?

:(

This will happen.

Oh man... Now we're getting into politics.

I'm not sure if it will happen in our lifetime though. I don't doubt that someday it will, I just don't know if it will be our lifetime or not.

I see a few post on here about not keeping the TJ until the end because you can't see yourselves driving a 50 something year old vehicle. So if you had a '65 Vet you wouldn't want it anymore because it is old? LOL

Haha, you read my mind! I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Wait, but you guys would drive a classic Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, etc."

In 50+ years, the TJ will be an iconic vehicle, you have my word on that. Just like the CJ jeeps are classic today. You see old guys restoring those and driving them all the time.

You guys make me laugh... Can't see yourself driving a 50 year old vehicle :p

I'll always have a TJ. Maybe not this one, but who knows. I only have 43,000 miles on mine right now so it should last a lifetime. But someday a rubicon or an LJ might be calling my name. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Haha, you read my mind! I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Wait, but you guys would drive a classic Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, etc."

In 50+ years, the TJ will be an iconic vehicle, you have my word on that. Just like the CJ jeeps are classic today. You see old guys restoring those and driving them all the time.

You guys make me laugh... Can't see yourself driving a 50 year old vehicle :p

In my case, its not so much that I don't want a 50 year old vehicle...just that I don't think MY particular Jeep is going to last that long. Also, I get bored...I really like the chase for a project, then tinkering with it, but once its done...I get bored with it. At least, that's what has happened with every toy I've ever had so far (and I've had a few). I'm already thinking about how cool it would be to literally build a CJ from the frame up....That's why I said I plan on having a jeep, just not THIS jeep :)

Oh man... Now we're getting into politics.

I'm not sure if it will happen in our lifetime though. I don't doubt that someday it will, I just don't know if it will be our lifetime or not.
Don't be so sure.
Lots of European countries already have laws in place to ban the sale fossil fuel cars in the 15-20 years.

And it's not really political. It's driven by health care costs in polluted cities, like LA and environmental science, which is what should be driving all the political parties when talking about health or air quality.

Lots of Europe has already banned diesel engines in their big cities. Even 3rd world India has converted all diesel over CNG. With a huge improvement to air quality.

I really want to see a pure electric Wrangler. Solar charging on the roof. An ability to drive completely submerged. No fuel/oil to spill if you park it upside down.

Reactions: StG58
But what are you all gonna do when you are longer allowed to drive it on public roads?

This will happen.
That's a realistic question IMO.

There definitely is a belief that a certain group wants both the ability to track your every location as well as control when/where you can transport yourself. Either by taking away your freedom of driving yourself, or having a remote switch that can disable your vehicle on the spot with a click of a button.
Ahem, I mean they want automated cars for our safety and the environment and <insert almost valid reason here>, and will slowly funnel restrictions in that direction...until we are all...safe.

Some countries have already set a deadline for an outright ban on gas vehicles.
Some provinces in my country (Canada) are, or have already imposed stronger vehicle emissions designed to take the majority of "older" vehicles off the road. (despite the relaxed environmental limits on industry and commercial transportation, and studies showing that public vehicle pollution is an extremely small contributor to world pollution when compared to these other industries, etc).

It is becoming a lot more difficult to purchase used auto parts in Canada than it used to be.
When parts are available, they are often magnitudes more expensive than the same part in the United States. (A simple restriction of auto parts from US to Canada would cripple my ability to maintain my Jeep...I hope that doesn't happen soon).
This could be simple economics...or it could be something else.
You don't have to outright "ban" old vehicles if you restrict the ability to repair vehicles to only the "rich" people. That problem will take care of itself over time.

I do think it will become much more difficult financially, socially and legally to drive our TJ's in the future. Many people will turn against them and look down upon those drivers as unsafe and poisonous to the world.
Much more difficult to drive anything that cannot be remotely controlled/monitored. (But people will want this remote control...it makes other things more convenient).
But I think it will be a slow process (which helps public "buy-in"), and won't be fully complete within the time-frame of my life.

There is also a counter-belief that it's financially better for these groups to keep people continually financially dependent on vehicles - so they will want to keep vehicles on the road. It's just that they want them to follow the "cell-phone" lifecycle, where you buy a new one every 3 years instead of repairing your current one.

Apologies for the "conspiracy" rant. I truly hope it's just a paranoid conspiracy, written for your entertainment/displeasure...and never happens.

When I bought my '97 TJ in 1998, I told them I planned to keep it for the rest of my life, barring any major incident.
My friends thought I was naive.
This was the 1st (and only) vehicle I've ever owned.

And while I was a bit naive, I was also a bit wise for my years...and lucky.
Wise - I recognized that several men regret getting rid of their 1st vehicle. Sentimental value.
Wise - I recognize that I am a very sentimental person...and can tend to personify inanimate objects. (wise or crazy)
Wise - looking at past models of Wranglers and predicting that there is a lot of longetivity to their style.

Lucky - a 4.0L 3speed auto TJ is "fairly easy" to maintain, and both have treated me well so far.

I predicted that I'll always keep my TJ. I may have a 2nd or 3rd vehicle in my future, but I'll always keep the TJ, even if it's just for "fun".

Forums like this, and joining a local Jeep club a couple years back only solidified this thought, and propelled me to invest in even more mods instead of buying a 2nd vehicle. Now it's also becoming a pride thing. An accomplishment.

I have a spare frame and spare body that I intend to build up in the next few years, which is my answer to rust damage.
I'm also stubborn, motivated to keep my Jeep running...and did I mention stubborn.

Reactions: StG58
I really want to see a pure electric Wrangler. Solar charging on the roof. An ability to drive completely submerged. No fuel/oil to spill if you park it upside down.

You and me both. I actually think that would be so cool!

When you look at what an auto driving Tesla can do.... A lot of people will want that.

Press a button on yer phone, and a Tesla will drive itself to pick you up. Get out at the curb and it will go find itself a parking spot. Get in, say nothing, it will consult past history and drive you there.

Anyone who thinks driving is a chore will love all that.

Reactions: Chris

This will happen.
Maybe, maybe not. Where I work we have used compressed natural gas to fuel vehicles since 1992, and just ordered four electric heavy duty buses. To charge them is going to take four 480 volt 80kw chargers. I think the future is natural gas for electric generation (where they don't have hydroelectric like we are blessed with here) and electric vehicles. What the proponents have failed to take into consideration how ever is the power grid needed to charge all these vehicles, and that is going to take a lot of infrastructure work. The demand on the utility companies will be huge. Most who are green in nature and embrace the electric vehicle concept will fight to the death to keep a new high voltage power line from coming through their area. They also don't like coal for power generation, or fracking for natural gas. We also have a lot of wind power in our area, but when the demand on utilities is high, such as very hot or very cold there is seldom enough wind to generate. So while it sounds great to say we are going to ban the internal combustion engine, I just don't see it happening in our lifetime.
Sorry Chris, I got off track there a bit.

B